Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
126 Posts
Thanks for the pix. I was able to put a piece of foam there and the problem is 100% solved!!! This seems like a problem that all FJs have. Maybe there will be a fix at the dealership soon...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Its the wire harness.

Mine drove me NUTS for about 3 weeks. I had somebody else drive and I went to work under the dash on the passenger side. I finally got pissed enough to use my foot to "push" the wires around and thank the lord, no more vibration.

I had EXACTLY the same vibration going on you guys have. Move the wires around a bit.

At first I thought it was the rubber/plastic floor "pan" vibrating on the center console. Nope. Then I thought it was the fan as well, Nope. It was the wires.

Good luck, just keep moving them around a bit.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I've been going insane since a week after I got my FJ (Christmas Eve) over this buzz/rattle coming from the same location. After find this thread at around midnight, I grabbed my flashlight, cut a piece of foam from my egg-shell mattress and went to work.

Drove around the neighborhood (too fast, I might add, but I had to test it properly) and to my delight, no buzz! Drove the hour and a half into midtown Atlanta today for work and again, no noise.

A big thanks to everyone who worked at correcting this issue.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for the information. It took care of one vibration and led me to another. It was located behind the passenger side panel, just forward of the door. There is a wire connector located just below the lip. It was vibrating against the plastic and causing quite a headache. I moved it over and remolded the bend in the harness. Not a sound heard...complete quiet. Thanks.

·
Registered
499 Posts
YES! This fix works! I had been hearing that noise for months and it was driving me crazy but I thought it was something I had in the glove box. So I cleaned out the glove box, still had the rattle, vibration etc. Shoved a piece of cloth in between the wiring harness today and booyah! Fixed!

Thanks, what would we do without the internet?

·
Registered
3 Posts
OMG after months of suffering I find the solution in this forum! If I could only tell you how much I appreciate this information! :cheers:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks, a little egg crate foam fixed rattle. My wife was like my dog when the UPS delivery fellow approaches the door, went crazy with the rattle. So two annoyances resolved with one fix. Next the door trim panel on drivers side develops rattle with certain resonance frequency. When spousal unit in car I do not play radio.

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
My first suspicion for a rattle right there would have been the cabin air filter unit.

An aside: I cleaned mine out a couple weeks ago and was amazed at the amount of stuff in there.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'll have to try this out. I've had my fj since the first month they were e available at the dealers in VA. I just noticed a tapping over the last couple of months an I can't locate it for the life of me. Drives me nuts.

Any other thoughts on where an interior tapping sound may be coming from in?

·
Registered
3 Posts
OMG - yes, I know what you mean - I have the same problem. But I don't know if mine is actually mechanical - has to do with the car - or if it's stuff rattling around in the glovebox. The reason I wonder is because any time I hear rattling, I just open the glovebox and slam it shut, and the rattling stops. I don't know if slamming it shut jostles something inside or what, but as simple and primitive as that sounds, it's worked for me lol. Seems to only rattle when I'm stopped at a light or when I'm driving slowly...never heard it rattle on the highway.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts