Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 FJ with manual transmission and 100,000 miles. Over the last year I can hear an increasing amount of noise that seems to be coming from the rear. At first I was thinking it was a bearing, now I'm thinking it could be the tires. The noise increases with speed and not affected by which gear I have selected in the transmission. Driving is 50/50 streets/freeway. I have 20,000 miles on a set of Firestone Destination A/T tires. Per maintenance schedule I just changed the oil in the rear diff, front diff, transmission and transfer case with Amsoil Severe Gear 75/90 gear oil. But the noise is still there.

Anyone out there have issues with bearings making noise? Or noise from Destination A/T tires?

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Carlshome

·
Registered
20 Posts
Lift the truck off the ground and grab the top and bottom of the tire. If you can make it wobble then the bearing is shot. If it does when you grab the front and back of the tire that indicate tie rods. If it is firm in both direction then its probably tires.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I rotated my tires, using the approved owner's manual method. I'll be damned when a slight tire whine started up right after and I'd torqued the wheel lugs to spec when I did the job. When I performed the rotation, I rotated the front tire to the back and the back to the spare and the spare to the front and it sure sounds like the back tire is the one making the noise. No bearing play was found when I did an inspection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
x67934: Would your suggested test indicate bearing issues for the rear wheel bearings too? Or just the fronts?

Today I lifted each wheel off the ground with a floor jack and followed your test. Rear tires are a rock when grabbing top and bottom, left and right. Front tires are a rock when grabbing top and bottom, and a very slight movement when grabbing left to right. But that slight left to right movement on the front tires felt like I was pulling on the steering, it didn't feel problematic.

Appreciate any guidance. I just want to be sure to rule out a bearing issue before a couple long trips ahead of me.

Thanks,

carlshome

·
Registered
349 Posts
Try driving over different types of surfaces and see if the noise changes. The best test would be on really smooth ice. If it's tire noise, it will completely go away. That's how I can tell if the road has a layer of ice on it. It gets real quiet when you hit it, right before your vehicle swaps ends and your life flashes before your eyes.:lol: But I guess you don't have much ice in the Bay Area. Try out different road surfaces, the smoother the better, and see if the noise changes. If it does, it's tire noise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just finished a 400 mile trip. On one section of Interstate 5 there was brand new smooth pavement and I noticed right away the noise was reduced. The noise was still there but less. I would try the ice trick, sliding/360's and all, but no ice here in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed for the next 20,000 miles until the tires are done. Just makes me worry to hear this rather loud noise after 100,000 miles of reasonably quiet driving.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I figured out the ice quirk by accident, literally. I was driving in the rain at around 32F here in Oregon years ago one night while driving my old Ford Pinto road bomb. Everything was still wet, so I assumed things were OK. Assume quickly made an ass of me. I drove onto section of road that must have been in the shade during the day and surprise!!!!, it wasn't wet, but instead a solid sheet of ice. The car's tire noise went reeeeeal quiet, almost like I wasn't even moving. The next thing I know, I'm looking at the set of headlights that USED to be behind me, TWICE TOO, since that section of road was a curve. After a couple of 360's, I came to a stop, not hitting anything or anyone, blessing my maker and cursing having to drive a short, 2 wheel drive car with the tendency to explode when hit in the ass on anything resembling ice. I might have soiled my pants a little though......

:jawdrop:

I have noticed that my FJ's tire noise goes away on new smooth asphalt that is slightly wet. Of course, I don't hear it at all in the snow.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Yes the road surface plays a large factor in the noise level coming from the tires. Try a little more air in the tires. Atleast 45PSI to see if it changes the sound.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I finally found my squeaking noise the other day when getting new tires put on. I thought it was a wheel bearing but turned out to be a loose E-Brake.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I made the original post on this thread. I continued to worry about the noise and decided I should have it checked out by an independent Toyota shop. They took it for a drive with me riding shot gun, and quickly heard the noise. They thought it was a wheel bearing. However after putting it on the rack and inspecting everything, they concluded it was the tires. They pointed out how my Firestone Destination A/T tires had irregular wear causing each rubber block to be raised on one edge (tires have 22,000 miles on them). This was particularly more acute on the front tires. He suggested that the alignment was out slightly and maybe some softness in the shocks is causing this irregular tire wear pattern. My plan is to buy a different brand tire when these wear out and get an alignment at the same time.

Thanks to everyone who posted replies. Greatly appreciate the guidance from this forum.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 2007 FJ. I have loud tire sounding noise at about any speed. However, if I turn the steering wheel to a slight left it goes away entirely. Going straight and turning the wheel to the left noise is still there. I'm pretty sure its not bearing noise. Any ideas why?The noise starts at about 20 MPH gets louder with increase of speed. Road surface makes NO difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts