Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just mounted up a set of Nokians brand new Hakkapeliitta LT3 snow tires. I've loved my KO2's, but have always wished for better traction when its icey/slippery. I went with the stock 265/70/17 and mounted them on my stock rims. Not as sexy as my SCS Stealth/KO2 combo, but I'm very excited about the prospect of increased winter traction. The LT rating should keep them solid for winter fire roads and stuff. Now waiting on the snow...

·
Admin
7,030 Posts
Keep us posted on how they work out for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any updates on these tires? I'm strongly considering running them next season. I'd like to know how they perform in deep snow, as well as slush and icy hard pack conditions

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My impression so far has been extremely positive. Our winter has been pretty mild this year with regards to the amount of snowfall, but we've had some very slick roads. The LT 3's stick like glue on the ice and begin to lose traction in a smooth and predictable manner. Driving/stopping on the ice has been so much better than the KO 2's. Snow and slush are no problem. The tires are smooth and relatively quiet on the highway and track predictably. Haven't had a chance to air down and go into the hills yet. A windstorm postponed our offroading plans for this weekend. I haven't once wished I went with the studded version of these tires. Very pleased!

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
Are your Nokians noisy? I had a set put on my wife's KIA Sorento. They were extremely noisy. The KIA is gone now and I don't have the model of the tires. They had the snowflake on the side. Very good on ice.

They were directional and were installed correctly. If I did them again I would have a separate set of rims and only use them in winter.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the 1st set of dedicated snows I've ever owned. I've put Blizzaks on my GF's minivan and she loves them. They seem to wear quickly though.

I find the LT 3's to be much quieter than my KO 2's. As soon as I put on the snow rims, I could hear the slight whine from the rear diff and the annoying little whistle my heater fan is starting to make. I'm happy to try and get any more information you guys might need.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
"For those of you who say they are the best snow tire you've ever used, what other snow tires have you used in the past and how do they compare"

I've used dedicated snow tires (and specifically the "studless" type ever since those were invented in the early '90s) all of my life (driving since the '70s), and have driven on many brands /types over the years (and always lived in the snow belt).

From reading many side x side comparisons over that time, two things have stood out: Nokians have always ranked at the top, or near the top. Nokian Hakkapeliitta at the very top. The second thing is that, these days, the Michelin X-Ice studdless are generally next behind the Nokians, and cost a lot less. So, although I've never used Nokians, I have used Michelin X-Ice for many years and have always been amazed at the traction in the winter, compared with all the sliding/slipping/slow going traffic around me.

With a good set of dedicated snow tires your biggest winter worry shifts to, "I hope none of those other people hit me", and you have the traction to do what you can to get out of their way as needed.

Norm

The other lesson from all this: a good working hand brake is an imperative (and manual transmission) to have an incredible amount of fun hooning around making handbrake turns, and left foot braking turns, before the snowplows and salt trucks ruin it, each time it snows (no other traffic, or pedestrians around, of course).

:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how a tight closed directional tread pattern can dig in deep snow, in both forward and reverse. I'm definitely intrigued by the tire, and will likely be running them next year. Coming from a non-directional more off-road looking Tire background, understanding these is going to be an adjustment. I have used snow tires in the past, such as of the Cooper M&S and Arctic claw, but those definitely have a tread pattern more similar to the all-terrains we are used to.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never had any issues with my KO 2's in the snow, I really wanted more grip when the roads get icy, especially the black ice. Without a doubt the LT3's grip the ice far better. In my experience, KO 2's would grip right up until they didn't, with what I felt was little to no warning. These Nokians have been stable and predictable on the ice. I'm a fan.

·
Admin
7,030 Posts
Let's be clear.... just because there is a snowflake symbol on a tire that doesn't mean it's a snow tire.

What the OP is talking about are true snow tires... not AT tires with a mud and snow rating.

·
Premium Member
2,742 Posts
Let's be clear.... just because there is a snowflake symbol on a tire that doesn't mean it's a snow tire.

What the OP is talking about are true snow tires... not AT tires with a mud and snow rating.
snowflake.png

Not questioning your first sentence. The snowflakes are not as good as dedicated snow tires. Its the packed snow/ice rating.

My understanding about the tires marked with the mountain/snowflake are suitable for use in severe snow conditions, at least in Oregon.

Oregon Chain Law

I questioned this when I was told about it. The tires were very good on ice but noisy. More like M+S and Ice. Seriously siped.

Interesting read on M+S and All Season

Anyway this takes care of my at least one long post requirement for February. 😉

1 - 16 of 16 Posts