Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.

I am a driver (and a photogarpher) based out of IL.. Close to WI border. Currently, I am driving a G35, but am exploring my options, and FJ is pretty high on the list. So I figured, i'd register here and see if I can find any issues with this car.

I already have a plan in place of what would be done to it if I was to get it.. but hey, who knows what'll happen next.

sooo.... I've been searching around, and first thing I am seeing is that there aren't any common complaints on the car with an exception of rear view visibility.
Am I just blind or is this true?
How is handling of this car? (I know, it's a truck, and it won't ever handle like any of my old cars, but still.. I've never owner a truck.. all my cars were slammed to the ground)
Are there any ways to increase handling? (I do not plan on taking it off roading[much])

Two of the biggest turn offs for me right now are : mirror fog lights and interior dash panel.. Are there any upgrades/mods that can be done to the dash to make it a little more... fluid? (I really don't want to be fabricating the whole thing)

I'm guessing the stock radio is a standard double din, am I correct?

Were there any big changes amongst the years?
anything else I should know about FJ?

Thanks in advance.

PS
for the record, that's what I have now...

·
Registered
29 Posts
welcome to the world of FJ cruiser if you decide to buy one. For me it was my first truck and i must say i love it. I have a 2007 model 4x4 i turned 90000 miles no problems. I have started small mods and wheel changes . As you look thru this forum you will be able to get alot of ideas for your truck . what are your plans? do you off road ? what ever you decide to get into I think you will like the truck . take a test ride etc. good luck

·
Premium Member
6,579 Posts
Howdy!

Never had a problem with rear visibility, but I came from a larger vehicle.

Dash? Hmmm, haven't seen many personalized changes there.

Mirror lights. There are some packages on FJs that do not have them. I'm sure someone will post what years and packages, but they are available.

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you lads.

Goldwing, first things would be to tint tails, and windows, throw a a roof rack, and bumper bars, possibly relocate the spare on to the rack (rally style!), grab different wheels for the summer, and wrap stockers in a Blizzaks or alike, throw a remote starter, AVIC based sound system.. upgrade speakers... then, go from there... :)

Yose, thank you for the info. I didn't know that.
Is mileage really around 18mpg? How's acceleration on a standard road?

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Coming from your previous ride will be a shock. They are to say the least, very different vehicles. The best part of the FJ is that anything can be changed, given time and money. Everyone here will have an opinion and will voice it. And the will demand pictures.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Snafu, I completely realize that. And it is one of the things that is still tempting me to look into an IS350 instead..

I am tempted to have an AWD, high sitting ride, though. Been slammed to the ground for my whole driver life (from Japan, to Russia, to Germany, to France, to UK, to US.. hah).. Never driven anything lifted.
I realize that my sharp turns are not going to be possible any longer... but I will exchange that for not having to worry about curbs and off roading much.

Right now, I have to be careful about where I go since I can't get my car anywhere unless, there is a road or at least some serious gravel.
No trunk also bites..with all my gear my backseat is usually taken and I have a flash or two sitting in my passenger seat. Wife to be is not too thrilled about that.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
test drove a supercharged model today.
houston we have a problem....

I want one.. :\

Need to test drive an NA one so I could see the difference..

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Ahhhh! After driving one with a SC it would be hard to buy one without. They are fun and are quite nimble for their size. My work truck is a four door long box 3/4 ton diesel. I too started out in Sports Cars.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wikid, I am in Mundelein.
It is about 15 minutes away from Bristol, WI.

Can anyone tell me what is the difference in MPG between SC and NA versions?

·
Premium Member
9,003 Posts
It depends on your foot. You shouldn't be affected by s/c too much unless your foot is like mine .
I grew up in Zion and lived in Gurnee for some time . I haven't been back there is many years. The weather is just too darned good here :bigthumb:
thanks
Don

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well, test drove a twin charged and n/a models today...

Twin charged was awesome until I checked its fenders... :(

N/A was a 2011 model. Reaction and speed wise it is not all that impressive, but something about this truck just appeals to me like quite a bit.

Apparently 2010+ models are not offered an option of a S/C... So, I guess, I will be looking at getting an NA model in a few months.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
after much of thinking, and listening to you guys, I made a decision.. Sadly, that decision did not include purchase of an FJ cruiser.

Instead, I went with a 4runner.

I already have parts coming in for it.. and, once i'm done selling parts from my old car, I will be ordering even more.

i'm going to stick around this board, since we're (essentially) the same vehicle, and have quite a few common parts.

thank you all for your advices!

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts