Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Re: non oem tow hitch-are there any

I may be wrong, but I think all tow hitches for the FJ are rated class 3 which is 5,000 pounds. I have the Reese hitch, but I also believe you can get one from U-Haul. As for the price, you just need to look around. Check the forum vendors to find if they have and discounts or special pricing.

The only difference with the OEM and aftermarket hitches, is that the OEM Toyota hitch is tucked up more for better clearance. Many have aftermarket hitches though and I haven't seen a complaint.

·
Registered
644 Posts

You can buy the wiring harness separate from the hitch. Some of our vendors sell as a set and some as a package. The ones who offer packages will also probably sell just the harness if you called them. It's about $80 and is all plug and play made for our trucks complete with pictured instructions rather than a universal which is often more difficult. Also a lesser hitch then the 5000 probably won't save much money if you can even find one. If you are creative enough you could use it as an excuse to buy a boat. Those are fun :)

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts

Several are usually for sale here. The wiring harness oulsd be another purchase, but, some of the supporting vendors have those as well.

edit: I see you also posted in the wanted to buy section.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts

I have a quad, so total weight is not more then 600-700lbs
My options are oem on ebay $250 with the harness, but 5000lbs is an overkill

are there any aftermarket kits?
I thought I paid less than $250 for mine... I could be wrong. I say go with the OEM or other 5000 lb hitch. I think it would be a mistake to spend money on a hitch and then get one that may not serve your needs in the future. It may be overkill for you at this point, but who knows when you'll get some new toy, or need to help a friend move something. Overkill never hurts. I've been trying to overkill the crap out of my rig. :cheers:

·
Registered
2,165 Posts

Go with the OEM class 3 hitch, all the class 3 hitches are about the same price. It's never overkill to pull something light with a HD hitch. Plus, don't you also need a trailer to to the quad with I'm sure that will add a few thousand lbs. to the total weight.:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts