Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting around, 200 miles per tank on average, this is my second fill up with this rig. I bought last weekend. I have 33x12.5, 50r 17s Cooper stt's and trd exhaust, k&n intake, with 3 in lift.

200 miles is right around 10mpg is this normal? Or should I be concerned?

Thanks everyone for the help I've been getting.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The gas tank is roughly 15 gallons if my memory serves me right. If you're getting 200 miles per fill-up, then that means 200/15 or ~13.3 mpg. The bigger tires and lift will take away a couple mpg from the factory mpg rating. Also, what octane are you using?

For reference, i'm getting aroun 18mpg with stock suspension and tires, added a few extra pounds for gear and sliders.

Hope this helps.

-Pack

·
Registered
180 Posts
mine has been getting right around the same. I've been close to 14 mpg the last few tanks. Mine is stock except for the all-pro sliders and treadwright tires (stock size). I got new plugs for it but I haven't put them in yet. I might change the thermostat cause it runs cold for quite a while according to the gauge. After seeing some guys getting almost double what I get (21 mpg) I need to do something to it. I'm running 91-93 octane

·
Registered
147 Posts
Calculate your actual miles/gallon. Miles/tank is not accurate. Reset your trip meter after every fill-up and divide by the number of gallons you put in your tank.

FJ tank is notoriously hard to fill, so just do it in a consistent way. Holds 19 gallons.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Is the truck new? Was ECU recently reset? My mpg seems to drop after an ECU reset and I recall getting low mpg when I first got it. I was getting roughly 13-14mpg initially and eventually settled to my current 17-18mpg on regular 87 octane. Drops to around 14 after I've had battery unplugged then slowly comes back up. But I'm running stock with no lift.

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I bought a ScanGauge a couple of weeks ago to measure mine and I average about 19 MPG. I have one size larger than stock tires an heavy ARB bumper and a 2" leveling kit.

It's depressing to watch the numbers change from 22MPG to 10MPG when you hit a slight incline.
I'm driving from Austin, TX to Blue Mtn Beach, FL so I was terrified of how much I'd pay in gas considering the + $3.70 prices I was seeing.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
The FJ Cruiser has a 19 gallon tank, with a 4 gallon reserve. This means your E light will come on at around 15 gallons. So you should be getting about 13.3mpg. This is about right considering your lift and tires. The biggest thing effecting your mpg is your tires. That is a lot of weight you're slinging. But more importantly your tires are making a big foot print, which is giving you a lot of resistance. The moral of the story is this, if you want better mpg you need to change to a smaller tire. Other than that the main thing you can do is, keep your rpm's under 2000. Sorry if this seems a bit sporadic, I'm watching tv while writing.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Also, investing in a scangauge of some sort is a wise investment, seeing your instantanious mpg will teach you a lot about how you're driving. The cheapest you'll find is UltraGauge. It's what I use.

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
For reference I'm running 285/70R17s(33") with a 2" lift and getting 18-19mpg. Best of ~280 miles to a tank with mostly interstate driving

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
2010 6MT, 33" KM2`s, 2.5" lift, full set of Ricochets and Road Armor bumper... Avg 17 MPG last 4 fill ups (miles/gallons at the pump)..that`s 60% highway, 40% streets. It all boils down to how you drive, really. Ditto on scan gauge or ultra gauge. Great a little tool, clearly shows you how to drive properly and it doesn`t have to be grandma`s style either :)

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
If your basing your mileage off whats on the odo and your running 33"s, computing using the miles/gal is going to be misleading and inaccurate. A scangauge or similar can convert your your true speed and miles driven to give you accurate mpg figures.
For me a scangauge has more than paid for itself in fuel consumption savings just having the realtime info you can adjust your driving style with instant feedback.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
If your basing your mileage off whats on the odo and your running 33"s, computing using the miles/gal is going to be misleading and inaccurate. A scangauge or similar can convert your your true speed and miles driven to give you accurate mpg figures.
For me a scangauge has more than paid for itself in fuel consumption savings just having the realtime info you can adjust your driving style with instant feedback.
I don`t consider scangauge accurate in calculating MPG vs miles/gallons... It`s way off and very optimistic :) But instant MPG feature is awesome

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Trade it in for a Prius. Gas prices suck!

Just kidding. There are so many factors involved in MPG that you have to look at if you really have to know your true MPG. Driving habits to include 4 wheeling, wind resistance, weight of vehicle, weight in vehicle by occupants gear, armor, etc. then you add in tire size and weight along with tire type road tire vs. MT. The list is endless. the first thing you should know is that it is going to be next to impossible to get the MPG stated on the window sticker. I would expect 3-5MPG differences less than the sticker for what you have on or in the FJ. If you can realistically accept that than you are doing okay. When you can notice the motor running rough or at different idle and you get horrible MPG and it's not due to all of the above circumstances, that's when I would worry if my FJ had problems. I agree that a scan gauge is a nice tool (I have one too), but people put way to much into the MPG readings that it produces.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
2010 w/BFG @ 32.8" diameter tires no engine mods. Getting 20+ on freeway w/no wind, 18.5 w/wind. 16/18 in the city. Check the cold running T-stat thread on poor milage!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for the tips! I'll check that scan gauge out sounds like a good buy.

I just lef the tire shop today, considering going to a 285/70/17 AT tire, sounds like that may help a lot with the mpg's. Again thanks everyone for the advice, these forums have helped a ton. Cheers!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Not necessarily true. If my memory is working, I've read on here that going up to a 285/75 (a 33" tire) will actually bring you into a more accurate area. I've heard this can be validated via a GPS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
??????? I am confused about this whole MPG & Tire thing per Mileage????
Everyone has talked about going with smaller tires or dropping mudders but what about re gearing????
I come from diesel 4X's and bigger tires means regearing???

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
I don`t consider scangauge accurate in calculating MPG vs miles/gallons... It`s way off and very optimistic :) But instant MPG feature is awesome
After doing a couple of fillups to finetune gals used when filling up I find the scangauge remarkable consistent and accurate. Usually within .1~.2 gal on a 17 gal fillup. netting a very accurate calculated mpg. If my driving style changes drastically, ie.. offroading, then the numbers will skew a bit but for city/highway its all good.

Not necessarily true. If my memory is working, I've read on here that going up to a 285/75 (a 33" tire) will actually bring you into a more accurate area. I've heard this can be validated via a GPS.
The scan gauge allows for finetuning your mph as well. With the 285/70's I'm running, the dash speedo was off about 4% (if memory serves) and the scangauge mph is dead on. I have verified with GPS.

Using the modified numbers from scangauge , in my experience, is proving to be extremely consistent and accurate.
YMMV lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts