Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for your patience all!

I have 1 set of PIAA 55W lights and 1 set of Soletek 100W lights on my roof light bar. I am wondering what the appropriate gauge wire is to run each of these sets of lights?

I am also wondering where an appropriate ground would be for the lights. I know there was some discussion about using a roof top point vs. a point along the frame but I don't know if there was a consensus. I would prefer not to have to run too many wires back down from the roof. As I understand it I will need 2 powered and 2 ground at this point.

Thanks for you input!!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts

I have 1 set of PIAA 55W lights and 1 set of Soletek 100W lights on my roof light bar. I am wondering what the appropriate gauge wire is to run each of these sets of lights?

I am also wondering where an appropriate ground would be for the lights. I know there was some discussion about using a roof top point vs. a point along the frame but I don't know if there was a consensus. I would prefer not to have to run too many wires back down from the roof. As I understand it I will need 2 powered and 2 ground at this point.

Thanks for you input!!
one solution would be to ship me your Soltek Fuegos...this will immediately halve the number of wires you need to run. yes, i still hate you.

that said, 14 gauge should be more than suitable, ensuring safety and making sure your lights will have ample draw (maximum brightness). don't you have the wiring harness from the PIAA kit? as far as the ground on the rooftop, i can't help ya out. i had mine run down with the power, attached to a fuse block in the passenger kick panel.

how do you plan on running the wires, drilling a hole in your roof?

MAKE SURE TO POST PICS!

·
Registered
947 Posts
I would run 16g for the lights. If you want to wire them simultaneously, so the both come on at the same time, you can just run 1 power, and 1 ground, then split them up top. I would use 14g to do it that way.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Power divided by voltage will give you the current. Each 55W light will need about 4.5 amps and each 100W light will need about 8.5 amps. That would be roughly 22AWG for a 55W and 18 AWG for a 100W. If you are powering two 55's from one source, I would use 18AWG. If you are powering two 100's from one source, I would use 14AWG. When in doubt, use the next larger size.. Cheers.. Ron

American Wire Gauge table and AWG Electrical Current Load Limits

Wire Capacity Chart

Thanks for you input!!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
don't forget wiring distance. this is why i inquired about how you plan on running the wires...straight down the roof/headliner and to a power source, or running it to the back/cargo door area, and then all the back to the front of the vehicle. maybe it's just me, but for some reason your first post seemed to indicate that.

proper wire sizes for lighting is more important than for others, short of audio. i believe the rated wattage from lamp manufacturers is based on the engine/alternator running, which will yield around 13.8V instead of when the alternator is off at 12V. if the wire isn't sufficient, you'll start getting voltage drop, and for every small percentage of voltage drop, you'll lose a much larger percentage of rated lamp wattage.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I believe 12v bulbs are rated for wattage at 12v.. 100' of 18AWG will have about .64 ohms resistance; around 5 watts lost for a 100 watt (10/200) load in actual electrical power. If you use the standard AWG/amp charts and oversize on size, you'll be more than OK.. Cheers.. Ron

don't forget wiring distance. this is why i inquired about how you plan on running the wires...straight down the roof/headliner and to a power source, or running it to the back/cargo door area, and then all the back to the front of the vehicle. maybe it's just me, but for some reason your first post seemed to indicate that.

proper wire sizes for lighting is more important than for others, short of audio. i believe the rated wattage from lamp manufacturers is based on the engine/alternator running, which will yield around 13.8V instead of when the alternator is off at 12V. if the wire isn't sufficient, you'll start getting voltage drop, and for every small percentage of voltage drop, you'll lose a much larger percentage of rated lamp wattage.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You know that feeling in you get when you jam waaaayyy to many crackers in your mouth at one time. Starts to get really pasty and you can't manage to chew it all and then a little bit of panick sets in b/c you think you are going to choke and die and never get to see your lights work. :) My silly analogy for this lighting situation.

Thanks for your responses! Just to clarify some points that you all brought up.
I plan to run the two sets on two separate switches: PIAA's on 1 and Soleteks on a separate one. So if I understand you all correctly 16g for the 55W (PIAA) and 14g for the (100W) Soles would probably be appropriate?

I think I have decided to go straight down the roof down the A-Pillar and down to the kick panels. This should not change the gauging should it?

Hey GT wheres the love brah???
How bout I take a roadie down to SoCal and I will bring you a nice big flat of quality Canadian beer and you can install the lights for me!! :D woot!!! hahahah!!

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
You know that feeling in you get when you jam waaaayyy to many crackers in your mouth at one time. Starts to get really pasty and you can't manage to chew it all and then a little bit of panick sets in b/c you think you are going to choke and die and never get to see your lights work. :) My silly analogy for this lighting situation.

I plan to run the two sets on two separate switches: PIAA's on 1 and Soleteks on a separate one. So if I understand you all correctly 16g for the 55W (PIAA) and 14g for the (100W) Soles would probably be appropriate?

I think I have decided to go straight down the roof down the A-Pillar and down to the kick panels. This should not change the gauging should it? yes, in this case, 16awg for the PIAAs and 14awg for the Solteks would be good to go. Good luck on trying to squeeze wires down the exterior A-Pillar...it's real tight.

How bout I take a roadie down to SoCal and I will bring you a nice big flat of quality Canadian beer and you can install the lights for me!! :D woot!!! hahahah!!
i'll do you one better. you save all that gas money, and use it to ship some Fuego HIDs out to me. i'll foot the bill for a local shop to install the PIAAs and Solteks for you. it's a win win. :rofl:

i'll still be expecting the beer too:cheers:.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Correct.. That'll be overkill, but that's usually a good thing with power wiring.. Cheers.. Ron

I think I have decided to go straight down the roof down the A-Pillar and down to the kick panels. This should not change the gauging should it?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome info thanks guys!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.