Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just got back not too long ago from a weekend in the lakes basin area for the WAMP benefit. thanks to opg4759 for rounding up the troops and coordinating with the xterra club for this wonderful benefit. it was great seeing the kids anticipating a week at camp as well as meeting Steve Wampler.

i did not get as many photos as i had hoped, but there were many other cameras taking shots, so post 'em up!

this trail run featured: opg4759, daPitbull, Boss73, PB 07FJ, bkreece and potatomutato.

PB 07FJ, Boss73 and i decided to spend an extra night of camping at little gold lake. this is the morning of the benefit run.

the morning view of little gold lake and our campsite was breathtaking

we finally met up with opg4759, daPitbull and bkreece at the staging area. the latter two await the boarding of their passengers.

on the trail to Camp WAMP

daPitbull ascending

parked at camp after dropping off our passengers

then it was time to head back to our own camp. here's PB 07FJ going through one of the tougher spots on the trail.

group shot back at camp: PB 07FJ, Boss73, potatomutato, bkreece and friends.

on the following day, we set out towards sierra buttes trail.

however, we got sidetracked when we set off to rescue a poor guy whose diff had apparently busted limiting him to 2wd on a tough part of the trail. the rescue went rather quickly and all was good.

here's Boss73 with gold lake in the background

PB 07FJ and Boss73 decided to get a headstart back home, so bkreece and i said our farewells and hit sierra buttes trail.

here's a view of upper and lower sardine lakes and volcano lake from the lookout tower perched atop the buttes.

bkreece navigating down sierra buttes trail

it was a great weekend! :cheers:

·
965 Posts
Thanks everyone for helping out with WAMP. Sorry I couldn't hang with the FJ crew since I had stuff spilt with Damon in the NCCX group.

Jay the organizer of the transportation for WAMP said they are looking for 12 rigs for extraction on Aug 9th. I will throw up a thread for that later today.

Oh there is a huge story about the Bronco extraction that starts at 4am with that guy and his buddy coming into our camp at 4am yelling for us to wake up to help him get unstuck. He was a little plowed at that time so we told him to wait a few hours and he and his buddy walked off. I tell you more at the meetup.

Thanks again everyone for helping with WAMP

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Thanks everyone for helping out with WAMP. Sorry I couldn't hang with the FJ crew since I had stuff spilt with Damon in the NCCX group.

Jay the organizer of the transportation for WAMP said they are looking for 12 rigs for extraction on Aug 9th. I will throw up a thread for that later today.

Oh there is a huge story about the Bronco extraction that starts at 4am with that guy and his buddy coming into our camp at 4am yelling for us to wake up to help him get unstuck. He was a little plowed at that time so we told him to wait a few hours and he and his buddy walked off. I tell you more at the meetup.

Thanks again everyone for helping with WAMP

And the plot thickens.. It was funnty cuz after one of the guys flagged us down to help them they found another guy with a jeep and they had hime come down as well... I cannot wait to hear the rest of this story..

The funny thing was when we hokked him up he moved like 1/2 foot (on his own) before being pulled:lol:..

Thanks again for getting this thing together
We had a great time..

But I think that you can see from the pics that we had a killer Camping spot..

And we did not have a drunk guy come into our site looking for a tow :rofl::rofl:

I will let you know about the 9th..:bigthumb:

·
965 Posts
Well I almost made it back unscathed other then some rock love to project overkill.

I have to get a new front diff seems that the fill plug was missing.

I haven't done any off-roading or long drives for the last 5k so I'm sure it was not put on or wasn't torqued right when the 30k service was done. I'm happy with out too much fuss the dealer is going to warranty it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
What a weekend! Thanks for organizing OPG! Getting the kids to camp was not only a great cause, but was a lot of fun as well.

Thanks to all you guys for your spotting and advice, particularly potato for taking great lines and allowing me follow. This was the perfect introduction to wheeling (this was my first run) and to what the FJ can do. I definately have even more respect for this vehicle now that I have seen what it can do on the trail!

I am really looking forward to many future runs with Nor*Cal FJs.

I have some pics that I will be posting tonight. I got some good ones of potato on the buttes trail.

Cheers!

P.S. Boss - by 'business time' did you mean you were gonna meet up with 'the stranger.' hehehe.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
P.S. Boss - by 'business time' did you mean you were gonna meet up with 'the stranger.' hehehe.
I got down to my socks !!

She knew what time it was.....:rocker:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
C4B_Rocks
766 Posts
FJer's seems like you guys had fun. I wish I was there to enjoy it with you all
I wasn't able to make it due to some other engagement. But I will for sure be joing the end of August run...:bandit::rocker::rocker:

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have to agree, what a great weekend!!

Thanks to opg for setting this up for us FJ'ers. I am thinking I might be up for the return ride on August 9th but need to confirm with the boss. Are you going to be able to get your diff fixed in time?

Once again, great pics Steve! I didn't realize you got that high up on the Buttes, very cool.

·
965 Posts
I hope I get my rig back in time. I was really pissed off when they told me the problem.

Although I should have double checked the work, hense this will go on my check list before a run.

Check the diff filler and drain plugs.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
...Oh there is a huge story about the Bronco extraction that starts at 4am with that guy and his buddy coming into our camp at 4am yelling for us to wake up to help him get unstuck...I tell you more at the meetup.
oh, boy...can't wait to hear about this one! :popblood:

...P.S. Boss - by 'business time' did you mean you were gonna meet up with 'the stranger.' hehehe.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

i now wonder if that was the motive behind Billy Joel's song:
Did you ever let your lover see
The stranger in yourself?
Don't be afraid to try again
Everyone goes south
Every now and then
You've done it, why can't
Someone else?
You should know by now
You've been there yourself

...I didn't realize you got that high up on the Buttes, very cool.
yeah, there were some great views to be had. the hike to the Lookout Tower was a bit tiring, but it was well worth it. also, we went through the trail north to south, which is probably a bit more nerve-wracking but it definitely has better views.

I hope I get my rig back in time. I was really pissed off when they told me the problem.
hope the fj gets fixed before the WAMP extraction. i'll let you know if i can participate in the next few days.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
more/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0454.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0455.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0457.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0458.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0456.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0459.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0460.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0461.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0462.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0463.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0464.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0465.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0466.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0467.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0468.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0469.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0470.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0471.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0472.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0473.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0474.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0475.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0476.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0477.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0478.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0479.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0480.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0481.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0482.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0483.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0484.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0485.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0486.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0487.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0488.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0489.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0490.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0491.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0492.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0493.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0494.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0495.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0496.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0497.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/DSCF0498.jpg
/Users/anthonybosso/Documents/Rubithon 2008.dvdproj
:bigthumb::bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Great pics guys...I am still working at getting mine uploaded. Like Potato said, the buttes trail provided some awesome views and some nerve racking driving with a wall on the drivers side and a severe drop on the passenger side for most of the trail!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts