Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So cal FJ owner here and I'm heading up to Olema, CA to go camping this weekend. Are there any trails near Olema that you know about that are worth hitting?

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Hey all,

So cal FJ owner here and I'm heading up to Olema, CA to go camping this weekend. Are there any trails near Olema that you know about that are worth hitting?

Thanks!!
Well, if you're going to Olema, I assume you're going to Pt. Reyes National Seashore, but I'm not clear whether you're looking for good hiking/backpacking trails or 4x4 trails. If the latter, there's not much there you can do off-road in your FJ. If the former, there are hundreds of great trails you can take. Here's the link to some maps: Pt. Reyes National Seashore Maps.

I've hiked all over Pt. Reyes and have camped at the Glen, Sky and Wildcat campgrounds. Glen is the closest to the park headquarters and easiest to reach. Wildcat is the furthest but the most interesting because it's on the beach. Sky is the highest, but is worth the climb. Sky, Coast and Ridge trails are all very nice, but you'll have to share the trail w/horses (particularly to the south). Actually, if you like horseback riding, it's a great way to see the park and you can go on guided rides (including one to Wildcat campground that'll take you onto the beach) from Five Brooks Stables. It's on the map.

If you don't want to hike that far but want to hit the beach, you can do so from the south end near Bolinas at the Palomarin entrance, but if you do that be sure to read your map carefully (or bring a GPS). There is no posted sign for the road to Bolinas (the residents don't like tourists). ;)

Enjoy! :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doh! Meant 4x4 trails.

So no 4x4 around pt. reyes?

I guess I could stop by Pismo then on the way up?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Doh! Meant 4x4 trails.

So no 4x4 around pt. reyes?

I guess I could stop by Pismo then on the way up?

Thanks!
Ok, then. There's really not much in the way of 4x4 trails in the SF Bay Area. Most of the really interesting trails in NorCal are located east of Sacramento in the Sierras.

North of the Golden Gate Bridge, the closest thing listed in the "Guide CA Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" is Cow Hollow SVRA Park located near Ukiah which is about 100 miles north of San Francisco. After that, you have to head up to Trinity Lake near Weaverville west of Readding. About 200 miles south of San Francisco between Monterey and San Luis Obispo are the Old Coast Road, Prewitt Ridge and South Coast Ridge trails. There are also Hollister Hills SVRA east of Monterey and Pichacho Peak near Coalinga.

That's all I know, but someone else may have other ideas. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Re: Norcal Trails Olema/Pismo

Cool! Thanks for the info.

Where do people head to in Pismo?
They go to Oceano Dunes SVRA.

Use the southern entrance at the end of Pier Avenue and drive down to around Pole 6 where the main part of the dunes is located and head east (away from the ocean). Be careful -- there are some very steep drop offs. Licensed vehicles don't need a flag. Camping is allowed anywhere past Pole 2. You'll need to air down and a way to air back up. It would also be useful to have some recovery gear on hand just in case you get stuck.

Went there last November during the Pismo Surf 'n Turf. Not my thing, but others had lots of fun there playing in the sand. I had more fun driving through the waves. Check it out for yourself. Here are some links that you should find useful: Oceano Dunes SVRA and Oceano Dunes Map.

Enjoy! :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Swing,

Thanks for all the info!!!

I prob won't want to get stuck and I don't have much recovery equip yet. So I can safely go wave running then right? :)!

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
LOL!

Looks like we're having a public PM conversation about this, but I know that there are other people out there who know more about the area than I do. It's probably because of the heading of this thread and the forum it's in. Anyway, I also forgot to mention the road to Pozo from Arroyo Grande just south of Pismo Beach that I took when I was down there in November. It's definitely worth the trip to the Pozo Saloon there.

It's a very easy trail that starts in Arroyo Grande on 227 (East Branch St), take Huasan Road right which becomes Lopez Road (there are a lot of very nice wineries in this area, if you want to do some wine tasting), continue on past Lopez Lake where Lopez Road becomes Hi Mountain Road (dirt) and take that until you get to the top of a ridge where there's a crossroad. High Mountain Lookout Road crosses going southwest to the left and north to the right. Take it north directly to Pozo -- check your compass if you don't have GPS.

Garcia Ridge Trail also braches off northeast to the right off of High Mountain Road just before High Mountain Lookout Road. That's supposed to be a challenging trail, but I don't know anything about it. Just be aware that it DOES NOT go to Pozo.

You'll know you're near Pozo when you drive down a straight lane bordered by tall trees on each side and will dead end on W. Pozo Road. The Pozo Saloon is located just down the road on the right. After you've eaten and have had a Pozo Martini (a beer w/olives in a mason jar), you can head back to 101 by taking W. Pozo Road west and then 101 south back to Pismo Beach (or north to San Francisco, if you're headed that way).

Have fun! :)

G

·
Dang Swingshift, I work out there and you know more about the trail system than I do. Darkfiber, are you camping at the Olema Ranch Campground ? As Swing stated, no 4x4 trails but plenty of hiking trails. If your looking for a beach to hang out on try Limantuor, if the wind is blowing go to Tomales Bay State Park and hang out at Hearts Desire. If you go to Hearts go early it can get busy. Alot to see and do in the area. Try the local Oysters, Blue Cheese, and Marin Suns Organic Beef. Probably will see you driving around if you'll be in your FJ, I'm working all weekend. :wave:

Jim Slack
West Marin Ranger
Marin County Parks and Open Space
415-233-1296

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Dang Swingshift, I work out there and you know more about the trail system than I do. Darkfiber, are you camping at the Olema Ranch Campground ? As Swing stated, no 4x4 trails but plenty of hiking trails. If your looking for a beach to hang out on try Limantuor, if the wind is blowing go to Tomales Bay State Park and hang out at Hearts Desire. If you go to Hearts go early it can get busy. Alot to see and do in the area. Try the local Oysters, Blue Cheese, and Marin Suns Organic Beef. Probably will see you driving around if you'll be in your FJ, I'm working all weekend. :wave:

Jim Slack
West Marin Ranger
Marin County Parks and Open Space
415-233-1296

I use to hike a lot at Pt. Reyes, but got out of the habit. :( BTW, I haven't forgotten your invite and plan to contact you about that soon. :)

PS: If you see a little red sports car with the top down exceeding the posted limit in the park, it's a good chance that's me. ;)

·
Registered
893 Posts
I've been to Knoxville many times, it's not near the coast, (read a pain to get out to) Cow Mt is lots of fun, be careful the dropoffs are killer out there

:cheers:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts