Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't generally see people talking about going up to Northeast canada and I'm thinking about planning a trip up there. Has anyone ever gone up well north of Quebec?

I really want to get up to Baffin Island, but there's no way to get a truck there apparently so I'm torn between flying into Baffin Island and just renting something to trek around the island, or planning my expedition to Newfoundland/Labrodour ...

Thoughts from anyone who's been there?

·
Registered
657 Posts
A few years ago I had to travel to Port Hope Simpson Labrador for court. I flew into Deer Lake NL and we drove the rest of the way. Our tight schedule didn't allow exploring but the drive from Deer Lake through Gros Morn National park was breathtaking. We must have seen close to a dozen moose and caribou. Once we crossed into Labrador it was almost like another world. If you approached the coast, the trees would get bigger, if you went inland they were smaller and sparcer almost to none. The last 85 km were dirt road. The road was made of crushed rock. Pretty amazing. Driving by small villages under 600 pop. I was told the fishing was amazing. The only wildlife I saw in Labrador was ptarmigan (forgive the spelling.) Most of the caribou herd that frequeted the extreme east coast were wiped out years ago when they tried to cross a raging river. They had to open flood gates at a hydro dam and the water was too much. So now there are no caribou or wolves that used to prey on them.
I was so impressed that we're planning a 1-2 week trip to Newfoundland next year.
I've done the Cabot trail a few times and that is also an impressive drive. But the people of Newfoundland are something else. Try it you won't regret it.

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
A little different direction but my brother owns 96 acres near Mabou on Cape Breton Island. It is surrounded by Crown land but is supposed to be accessible via seasonal access roads. He basically owns the top of a large hill. He hasn't been up there for about ten years now so someone should probably go make sure it hasn't been illegally logged or something. :lookaround: :worried:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I am from Cape Breton originally, close to a little fishing village called Port Morien and I can assure you it is not northern at all. It is beautiful country, especially in the Mabou and Ingonish areas.

I am a civil engineer and travel all over the north for construction projects. You may want to look into it before you travel to Nunavut, there are literally no roads besides the community roads. Most communities only have a few kms of roads and the majority of people drive ATVs... you have to rent trucks from construction companies and even then it is very hard to do.

I am actually going to Gjoa Haven after the long weekend, maybe I'll grab some pics and post the terrain... it is like being on a different planet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome, thanks for the info everyone.

Right now I think the trip will include some sort of travel on the trans-labrador highway, some exploring on newfoundland island, and then possibly catching a charter boat to Baffin island and camping out/hiking there for a couple days.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the info everyone.

Right now I think the trip will include some sort of travel on the trans-labrador highway, some exploring on newfoundland island, and then possibly catching a charter boat to Baffin island and camping out/hiking there for a couple days.
That would be one long boat ride. It may be easier to fly in.

·
Registered
677 Posts
If your looking for a more historical adventure,do Newfoundland first! If your looking at some history and some wilderness as an adventure visit Newfoundland first making your way up to St Anthony,take the Ferry to Labrador,catch another Ferry in Cartwright to Happy Valley- Gooose Bay then taking the Trans- Labrador HWY back down to Baie-Comeau!

Good Luck with your adventure!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts