Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else interested in going to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon in March?

North Rim Adventure - Toyota Owners Special
Max Vehicles: 5 (Not all still available)
Cost: $375 per vehicle
Details: March 17-19, 2007 (3 days)

The Grand Canyon Nation Park Service estimates that less then 10% of the 3.4 million annual tourists visit the north rim of the Grand Canyon. It is a fair guess that the vast majority of that 10% use the developed North Rim facilities provided by the Park Service. Join Badlands Off-Road Adventures as we explore other remote areas of the Grand Canyon's North Rim. At one point on our journey, the closest access to any civilization is over 60 miles away on poor dirt roads that take many hours to traverse. The few people, who live in this area, rely on solar power and use radios or satellite phones for communication.

Plan on spending 3 days and 2 nights working your way to (and back from) the one of the most magnificent views from the North Rim. This is one of the narrowest and deepest sections of Grand Canyon. You will be able to stand within inches of a 3000 foot vertical drop into the canyon (if you choose). The Park Service has made a decision to not develop the roads or facilities in this area and to "manage the area for its primitive values". Needless to say, we need to bring everything for survival with us, including extra gas. Along the way, we will enjoy the beauty of the mountains, valleys, forests, and streams as we navigate trails that are rated 3 or 4 (out of 10) when they are dry. The rating is at least 1 point (and more likely 2 points) higher in difficulty when they are wet. (MUCH MORE AND PICTURES, SEE LINK BELOW....)
All the info here:
Grand Canyon Info

Registration Info Here:
Register

·
Registered
9 Posts

North Rim Adventure - Toyota Owners Special
Max Vehicles: 5 (Not all still available)
Cost: $375 per vehicle
Details: March 17-19, 2007 (3 days)

All the info here:
Grand Canyon Info

Registration Info Here:
Register

Only 2 slots left, but still no FJ's?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Can I ask a dumb noob question and hopefully not hijack this thread?

You need a CB radio and no side steps.
I've seen this, and no running boards on several trips like this.

Why is this? And when you have wide sliders (like the allpros on ofrd_grl's FJ) does that count?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can I ask a dumb noob question and hopefully not hijack this thread?

I've seen this, and no running boards on several trips like this.

Why is this? And when you have wide sliders (like the allpros on ofrd_grl's FJ) does that count?
The only dumb question is the one that is not asked.

They are referring to running boards when they say no side steps. Sliders and running boards are far from the same.

Running boards are there to help you get into and out of the vehicle, but they are not made to support the weight of the vehicle. They are also not normally smooth on the bottom with brackets and such all over the place. Most of them that I have removed from vehicles have metal support brackets but the running boards themselfs are plastic. If you high center with them on say a rock, the running boards can quickly become toast.

Sliders are much stronger than running boards. They can serve the same function, helping you get into and out of the vehicle but they will also support the weight of the vehicle. They should be smooth on the bottom so they will slide over larger obstacles (hence the term "sliders") and not catch on things.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well now an Fj has signed up. The trip is being led by Tom Severin of Badlands Off Road Adventures. I have taken 2 classes from Tom and found them enjoyable and very informative. Im bringing my wife and 11 year old son. I'm looking forward to taking this trip since I love visiting the Grand Canyon. It would be great to have another FJ on the trip.

·
Premium Member
8,309 Posts

FWIW, I've been to the North Rim several times and it is very cool, lots of unusual wildlife found nowhere else, great camping, less people, lots of trails, etc. I'd love to go in the FJC but it ain't gonna happen this March for me.

·
Premium Member
8,982 Posts
Your killing me . . . I've been there before and have been thinking about all those little used trails ever since. Unfortunately, I will be busy in March. Are you driving all the way out for this ?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Your killing me . . . I've been there before and have been thinking about all those little used trails ever since. Unfortunately, I will be busy in March. Are you driving all the way out for this ?
Yeah its about a 6.5 hour drive from So Cal to St Gearge Utah where we are meeting then down to the canyon for 2 nights of camping and 3 days of wheelin.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah its about a 6.5 hour drive from So Cal to St Gearge Utah where we are meeting then down to the canyon for 2 nights of camping and 3 days of wheelin.
If you drop me an email (pete at parksoffroad.com) I can give you some info and maybe we can meet up along the way for the drive to St George.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I want to do this trail, just later in the year. Would anyone like to set up a FJ only run with this company late summer / early fall when the temps normalize? We could come up with 5 people right? I'm in so thats only 4 more...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts