1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have not seen a bike carrier that would allow the back to fully open. However, the addition of the Yakima back swing looks like it would work (pricey though).

Yakima Back Swing

·
Registered
907 Posts
Anyone know if it is possible to configure the rack to be able to fully open the rear door when bikes are loaded to the rack?

https://www.northshoreracks.com/NSR 4-bike.htm

Thanks!
Hmmm, that looks like it leans pretty far back but in my experience I haven't found that any rack really works well with the FJ rear door without a swing away hitch. I personally have the RAKATTACH swing away hitch (medium) with a RECON RACKS GEN2 4-Bike Carrier.Yes, the cost of everything is pricey but if you are an avid biker and want some "forever" equipment I think these (2) companies are at the top of their game. I don't like how NSR's carry the bike by the crown/headtube. For a non-vertical rack, 1UP USA and Kuat are the only other brands I'd recommend. IMO, Yakima and Thule are budget racks at premium prices.

Plus, if you go with the "fixed plates" on the Recon Rack you can save $200 which brings the rack down to $575... helps offset the cost of the RakAttach swing away carrier :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts