Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VoodooGirl is right; we need to get together. We could go to Little Sahara, American Fork Canyon, is Guardsman Pass open yet? Or how about something up VoodooGirl's way?

Whatcha say, who wants to go?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Ooh ooh ooh, pick me, I wanna go! Any of those places sound fine to me. Closer this way is good too, I just don't know where anything is. Hopefully someone has some ideas.

Kathie

·
Registered
158 Posts
Let me know when. I am in SLC and there are a lot of great areas. Could even go out to 5 mile pass. AF canyon is also great. Still need to get some sliders on my rig.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent, I'll look at the calendar and suggest some weekends. Let's start with a day outiing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay Northern Utahns how about either the weekend of the 8-9th or 22nd-23rd. The 22nd-23rd would be better for me.

We'll do a day trip. Keep it close and fun.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
CornerCanyonFJ said:
Okay Northern Utahns how about either the weekend of the 8-9th or 22nd-23rd. The 22nd-23rd would be better for me.

Sounds great. Sooner the better. We actually have a sitter this Sunday and are going out again if anyone is interested. Otherwise either weekend is good. We'll be there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This Sunday, hmmm. I'll talk to my better half. Where you going?

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
AF canyon is always fun. So many trails. It would be fun to hit Little Moab too for a change, somewhere near Nutty Putty caves. Never tried but I have good directions. I have a good sized book of Northern Utah trails too. They are spread out everywhere. Let me take a closer look and see if anything is closer than an hour or so. Hmmmmm so many choices. Glad we live here.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MoabRat said:
Hmmmmm so many choices. Glad we live here.
You can say that again. Or on second thought I think I will.

Hmmmmm so many choices. Glad we live here.

·
Registered
750 Posts
CornerCanyonFJ said:

Either work for me, except I'll be getting off work at 6am on the 22nd. :eek:

I don't have sliders yet either :(

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Voodoogirl said:
Either work for me, except I'll be getting off work at 6am on the 22nd. :eek:

I don't have sliders yet either :(
Okay since no one else has commented, how about the 23rd for an "official" Northern Utah on trial day trip?

In the meantime-

MoabRat I'd like to try and join you this weekend. PM me or give me a call.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
In.

I know you're right, it is a busy weekend. My family will be in California so I am free to roam far and wide.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I am planning a road trip to Utah in Sept.and don't know where to start. Can anyone tell me what the "must see" places are? I hope to do some off roading and camping. I'll be coming down from B.C. in Canada. Is there a good road trip loop anyone can recommend?

Thanks,

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
jfd said:
I am planning a road trip to Utah in Sept.and don't know where to start. Can anyone tell me what the "must see" places are? I hope to do some off roading and camping. I'll be coming down from B.C. in Canada. Is there a good road trip loop anyone can recommend?

Thanks,
Too many must sees to list! Really Utah is so incredible.
In the Moab area, just inside Canyonlands National Park (Southeastern Utah) too many to list. That leaves out, Arches National Park, Dead Horse Point State Park, the La Sals (Manti-LaSal National Forest) and all the great BLM trails. Those choices still leave out much of Southeastern Utah: Water Pocket Fold, Hole in the Rock, Natural Bridges, Calf Creek, San Rafael Swell, Capitol Reef National Park, the Escalante...

What do you want to see: classic Utah slick rock (Moab SE Utah), Uintah Mountain Forest (NE Utah), Western Utah Salt Flat Desert, Zions and Bryce National Parks (SW Utah on the way to vegas baby)?

Best loop to: Grand Canyon; Four Corners and Mesa Verde or Chaco Canyon; heading to Las Vegas; East to Durango; West to the Ruby Mountains and Reno?

What kind of trails do you like: sand dunes, rocky forest logging trails and stream crossings, rock crawling. Or is the point to see the best of Utah, not the best wheeling in Utah?

How is your FJ setup: rock rails, highway tires, hi lift jack?

Areas: National Park, State Park, BLM?

Camping: Developed: water, flush toilets, electricity, need reservations; Underdeveloped: water, mayber flush toilest, no electricty, might want reservations; Primitive, bring your own water, vault toilets (I know some better and cleaner than most that flush), no one elsethere-only have reservation because it takes 2+ hours off main road to get there.

How much time do you have for Utah?

Give us a target, we'll try to hit it with a loop made for you. Or just pick one this is the place to see, I have spent years going to some of these places and still find things I've never seen before each time I go anew.

Over whelmed yet? See why we have so much difficulty deciding where to go on our outings? Too many choices.

Most people would say the one place is the Moab area for classic rock crawling slick rock vistas and arches galore. But still what kind of camping experience and if you haven't outfitted your FJ for rock crawling there are still a bunch of great trails in the area. Give us a general idea about what you are willing and able to do.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Awesome info.
I think we want to see the Moab area (desert / canyons?). FJ is base model and not alot of off road experience, so mostly low tech scenic trails would be great. All we have up here is forest logging roads, so something different would be very cool (open areas, rock trails, sand etc.) As far as camping goes, we camp with a tent and are totally self sufficient. Lots of outdoor experience. We prefer to stay away from the crowds. We have two weeks.
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
jfd said:
Awesome info.
I think we want to see the Moab area (desert / canyons?). FJ is base model and not alot of off road experience, so mostly low tech scenic trails would be great. All we have up here is forest logging roads, so something different would be very cool (open areas, rock trails, sand etc.) As far as camping goes, we camp with a tent and are totally self sufficient. Lots of outdoor experience. We prefer to stay away from the crowds. We have two weeks.
Thanks for the info
White Rim trail, Island in the Sky District, Canyonlands National Park.

Primitive camping (best/cleanest vault toilets I have ever used) in Canyonlands above the Colorado and Green Rivers, 2 days minimum for the whole trail, take longer if possible. My favorite campsite is Taylor Canyon 5 miles above the Green River near Moses and Zeus. My better half and I camped there the first time 11-12 years ago, just took the kids there a couple of weeks ago. You will be totally immersed in Utah's red rock country for the duration of the White Rim trail. Plus before going in or after coming out you can visit Arches, Dead Horse Point and/or the Needles District all close to Moab.

Check out Canyonlands National Park here: http://www.nps.gov/cany/home.htm
Check out the White Rim trail at Canyonlands National Park here: http://www.nps.gov/cany/island/wrim.htm

·
Registered
170 Posts
Great info!
I will use your advice. If you ever plan a trip North to British Columbia, I'll guide you in to the coastal mountain rain forest hot springs. You'll love it (bring the kids).

Thanks again.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Hey guys/gals, we still on for this? Any ideas where to go?

Kathie

1 - 20 of 108 Posts