Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2011 FJ for almost a year now and took it on one trail up near Willard Peak (I believe) - it was nice. I did not grow up around the area so I am looking to network with other people who know some good scenic drives around the northern part of the state. I am looking to check out some Ghost towns (would like to hit Boston Terrace, but it is remote and would need more people to go just for safety reasons, would like to see some really nice areas of the state, learn where to go and learn a little history. It would be nice to follow someone who has been around and knows where to go but sometimes it's fun to get lost too. :) I REAAAAALLY want to get out on the weekends this spring/summer. I'm not all about spending hours going over boulders, I want to SEE stuff.
Any plans for northern Utah runs? Can I join? I promise I won't be annoying. :rocker:

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,998 Posts
I know of some scenic stuff down along the Uinta Mountains I could show you when the roads open for the season. There is a dirt road the leaves the Mirror Lake Highway just a couple of miles south of the WY/UT border and runs all the way to the Flaming Gorge. Along the way there are mountain views, meadows, lakes, some old cabin ruins, camping areas, and on the western end an old fire tower that you can visit and climb up to check out the view. Around Robertson and Fort Bridger, WY just a few miles off of that dirt road is a ghost town named Peidmont and some charcoal kilns. Just a couple of miles from the fire tower is the Sheep Creek Geological Loop with lots of rock formations from several billion years and if you're lucky you could see the mountain sheep that the area is named for. All along the dirt road I've seen Elk, deer, Moose, small critters, and birds over the years. The loop comes out at the bottom of a scenic section of the Gorge and then a few miles up at the top you can turn on another road off the highway and end up back where you started the loop. Then from there the road drops down into a canyon and by Deep Creek and eventually joins the main highway again.

From there you could go over the Flaming Gorge Dam and follow Hwy 191 up to the border with WY and then turn off there for the Browns Park area. In this area there is the Jarvie Ranch Historical Site with buildings, a dug out house, graves, and signs with all the info. He started a store to sell supplies to the local ranchers and whoever came through the area and had a blacksmith shop, a ferry across the Green River, and several other things. He also sold horses to some of the Outlaws like Butch and Sundance and the Wild Bunch. They lived and worked down there some and also used the canyons to get away from the posses that were chasing them. Up the road from there is a short wildlife drive with signs pointing out the different animals and birds along with flowers and info on the ecosystem. The remnants of an old cattle ranch are at the far end of that along with the old school house that has been kept up and is still used as a meeting hall for the locals today. The area was used as a wintering ground because of the milder weather compared to places around it. The Gates of Ledore where the Green River enters the steep canyon are nearby too. There are lots of old cabins from days gone by in different areas around the area. Nearby is the 3 corners area where UT/WY/CO meet up. I haven't been into that area from the south side, but I have been there from the north and you can drive up to the top of the hill where the marker is and look into all three states from there and it's quite a view especially into the Red Canyons of WY in that spot. At the start of the wildlife drive there is a suspension bridge over the Green River. You can normally drive over it and it takes you through the wildlife refuge and you can go up on Diamond mountain. There are remnants of old buildings up there too and that is the area of the famous Outlaw/Lawman Matt Warner's ranch. The canyon there is where they would lose the posses because it's very narrow and the walls are almost straight up and down. A couple of guys up on top with rifles could hold off a big group of guys for quit awhile. That road goes on up over the hill and there is a fish hatchery down in a place called (something?) Hole or you can go the other way and end up in Vernal, UT.

A few miles north of the Dam there are some markers for the Cherokee Trail, some graves, and some old cabins. These are in WY.

Between Vernal and the Dam there are a couple of scenic drives and some old historic cabins and stuff. I haven't been to them yet and started looking around that area a bit last fall. It was hunting season and muddy though so I didn't spend a lot of time around there as the hunters were pretty thick and I didn't want to bother them. At the other end, is the Mirror Lake Scenic Drive which is really nice. Lots of scenic views of the mountains and lakes. It drops down from Evanston, WY to Kamas, UT. Along the way you could stop at the Samak Smokehouse and grab some fresh made jerky and smoked trout.

I don't know if these will help out or not, but I thought I'd throw them out there. I know a lot of areas around where I'm at in Rock Springs and then the areas I've listed, but not much in the other areas of UT other than the main roads such as up Logan Canyon or up over the mountain by Monte Cristo. Lots of historic and some scenic stuff to the northeast of me around South Pass/Atlantic City and then to the northwest from LaBarge up the Greys River to Alpine, WY. Old mines and the towns along with the immigrant trails, Oregon, Mormon, and California trails near South Pass. The shortcut from these ran through the LaBarge Meadows near the Greys River. There are graves and some old Forest Service Cabins up there too. You can also watch the Greys River grow from a tiny creek to a big river along the way.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hey Tacoloft, for us Utah guys the Blue Room is best for mods and venturing outside our state. For meeting locals and overlanding my personal favorite is the www.expeditionutah.com portal. It's all about our state, trip planning and reports and even a ghost town section. It's a diverse site where you'll meet folks with various off-road rigs who know the state inside and out. There's a fairly large group of us that touch base on various runs (overlanding or rock crawling) on the Facebook page Utah Cruisers.

How far north are you? With the snow melting and the Salt Flats drying out there will be a lot of outings coming up. If you're looking for something more organized take a short drive down south for the upcoming Cruise Moab. If you make it over to either of the other pages don't hesitate to say Hi.

John

·
Registered
207 Posts
BIGGUY sounds like you know our border pretty well. When you plan to head out give us a shout, I know the wife and kids would love to see some of the stuff you just described. We're not to far away from you, Heber City.

P.S. There's a beta expeditionwyoming too.

John

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi BIGGUY and John,
Thanks for your responses! I just got around to looking at my original post for this thread as I wasn't notified anyone replied.
I'm getting the rig ready. I just installed the BFG Ko2 tires on my FJ, Invested in a water can and will probably need to figure out some gas can arraignment if required. Have a couple of 2-way Radios, but then again I am just getting started.
I'm located in Farr West, UT and would like to see some of the places BIGGUY shared. Let me know if you would like to meet up some weekend and show me the trails. It sounds pretty awesome.
In the meantime I'll be checking out those other links John.
Much appreciated!
-Jason

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
There is a nice day trip (long) that might interest you. You can visit the Golden Spike National Historic Site at Promontory Point, head south and check out the Spiral Jetty, then take the old Central Pacific Railroad Grade (officially called the Transcontinental Railroad National Back Country Byway) 90 miles across the Great Salt Lake Desert. Most of this section is on the actual historic railroad roadbed. You end up about 50 miles from Wendover. If you still have time you can scope out the Sun Tunnels. You have the option then to continue on to Highway 30 and back to I-80 or continue on the gravel to Wendover for a nice dinner.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Galt,
I have visited Golden Spike and the Spiral Jetty but haven't taken the Central Pacific railroad grade. Is it well marked? Haven't heard of the Sun Tunnels but will have to get to know them. Sounds like a nice drive with dinner in Wendover. Are you planning on going anytime soon?
-Jason

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,998 Posts
I wouldn't mind showing you guys around at all. The trip over the mountains from Hwy 150 down the Uinta Mountains is a nice one. It probably won't be fully open to travel until June sometime guessing from past experience. The Sheep Creek Loop will probably be open at the end of May which is the normal time it seems. I was just down through Browns Park a few days ago and everything there is available to see. It's still pretty brown and dull, but spring is on the way. Lots of birds and deer moving in the area. The suspension bridge is closed again. They just reopened it last summer after repairs and inspections and then one of the local rancher's workers tried to take a big tractor that was way over the weight limit on it and it fell through the center of the bridge. They have it set up for pedestrian traffic only right now. I didn't see anything about when or if they will open it up for vehicles and stock again.

Most of the rest of the stuff I mentioned can be checked out any time. It's just a bit dull still from winter and in a month or so when the new grass, leaves, bushes and wild flowers start blooming it will be a lot better looking. Only thing that needs to be watched for now is the weather as some of the roads can get quite nasty and slick when wet and we are supposed to get snow and rain for the next 2-3 days now.

Depending on what area everyone wants to check out, we can set up a place to meet when we get ready to make a trip. If we do the drive through the Uintas we could meet somewhere in Evanston by one of the gas stations near all the fast food places or something and then leave from there. For some of the other places we could work out a meeting place depending on where we would be going and could take some highways part way and some dirt roads too. All of the places are pretty much stock friendly too. Only bad spots are usually early in the season and would be areas that were washed out from the spring runoff. There are a couple of sections of road in the mountains that were really rough and were like driving on rocks from golf ball to basketball size buried about 1/2 way in the dirt. One of them has been plowed and isn't near as bad now. I'm not sure of the other section as I usually drop off the mountain and hit the highway for a few miles before heading back up and into the mountains again.

I can also give you the info to find these places if you want to explore on your own. Just PM which spots you want to know about and I can give you directions. Some of these are going to make for a full day at least since most of you will be coming up from UT and then having to go back. Rock Springs is approx 180 miles from SLC or Ogden just for a reference, so getting started early is a good thing since you'd have the drive home afterwards.

In some areas you can make pretty good time depending on what road or area you are visiting. Some areas like the road through the Uintas form hwy 150 until at least Henry's Fork which is southeast of the Mountain View, WY area and then all the way to the end of the Sheep Creek Loop and Deep Creek, are open to ATVs, mountain bikes, horses, etc. so one needs to be watchful of them. Most of the ATV trails are off the main road, but there are sections where the trail will cross the main road and sections where it will follow the main road for a bit before turning off. There are also several people with licensed ones that stay on the main road to explore, hit the fishing spots, etc. In some areas of the high desert in WY you could drive 80mph if you wanted as the roads are decent and empty. You'd just need to watch for livestock and wild animals.

I'm going to be getting some stuff done to my truck in the next couple of weeks hopefully and other than that I'm pretty much open any time as I'm retired. I don't have a CB yet so we might end up communicating with hand signals or stopping until I get one installed. If you're into camping you could make some of these trips a weekend thing. If you came out on say a Friday night with it staying light longer you could travel part of the trail and then setup camp for the night and either break camp and head out the next morning or depending on the area just leave that as a base and explore from there for the day and then stay the night on Saturday.

Let me know what you guys think and we can set something up.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thanks BIGGUY, that's an offer I'll definitely take you up on. Can't wait for retirement, it's a pain to squeeze my trips in between work weeks 😄. I'm trying to take advantage of the time with my last two kids in the house by taking as many trips with them as possible. We've already got a few crammed in from now and until school starts. I'd love to do something towards you as the weather warms up and foliage comes in. I have one more trip to schedule this year, before school and youth football starts. It's my sons last year to play and mine to coach.

As you haven't added a CB yet I'll give you my opinion. There great for group trail rides or listening to truckers, useless otherwise. If you travel solo or want a better option go with HAM and get an inexpensive handheld CB as your secondary. The HAM requires certification but it'll come in handy if you need help, more overlanders are starting down this path. I've got a very nice CB onboard and am in the process of getting a HAM and certification. I travel with a couple of handheld CBers and they work well enough.

John

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,998 Posts
Sounds good. I've run with groups in CO, UT, and WY before and used to go to the Easter Safari in Moab every year so I always had a CB. I traded my FJ on a Tundra a year ago and just haven't gotten one installed yet. I've thought about a Ham, but that's about it so far. I don't run on trail runs much anymore and I pretty much just explore the back roads myself, but from time to time like this I may have someone who wants to be shown around so a CB would usually be enough. I carry food, water, and gear with me too so I'm good for several days if something does happen and I try to use my head and will back out of something if it's iffy and I might have problems. I'm in the process now of getting stuff lined up for some mods on the Tundra and also getting my gear sorted out that was in the FJ so that I can get stuff put into the Tundra. I've also rotated out some of the food and restocked it with new and the same with the water. Things are slowly coming together though.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,998 Posts
Here's the route I mentioned. I just used Kamas, UT for the map as I figured more of you might be familiar with it. You can also drop down on Hwy 150 from Evanston, WY. It's approx 33 miles to the turn off. If you are coming from Kamas you'll cross the river and then turn right. If you're coming from Evanston you'll pass the little Bear River Store/camping cabins/rental place and turn left just shortly afterwards.

The first part of the road has summer homes, ATV trails, a Boy Scout Camp, a camp for Hill Air Force Base, and some regular campgrounds. Along the rest of the route there are places to camp, lakes, streams, beautiful views, etc. If licensed the whole route can be used by ATVs and motorcycles. There are some ruins of cabins and different info signs in places too. In the area around China Meadows and Meeks Cabin Reservoir there are campgrounds and fishing areas. There are also ATV/Motorcycle trails, horse and mountain biking trails, and hiking areas.

If you look at the map you can see the highway from Mountain View, WY east to Manila, UT. There is a road that heads north and ties into hwy 530 that also is a route in/out of the mountains. Near where this intersects with the mountain road is a turn off for the Spirit Lake Campground and Lodge. Heading across from there to the east you will pass a turnoff for a fire watch tower that has a picnic area at the bottom and you can climb up into the tower to check the views. Then you come to the Sheep Creek Geological Loop Road. There are several millions of years and eras represented by the folded, uplifted rocks in many different colors. You may see the Mountain Sheep that the area gets it name from too. The loop drops down into a canyon and then travels through some private property and meets up with Hwy 44. Then you can stop and take photos along the way up the mountain to the southeast and enter back in at the top of the loop.

Deep Creek leaves from the top of the loop where you turned to check out the geologic features. It travels down into a canyon where there are camping areas all around and at the bottom is the Deep Creek Campground. The road climbs back up the other side and eventually meets up with Hwy 44 again.

You can follow Hwy 44 to the Flaming Gorge Dam and check out the visitor's center and tour. From there take Hwy 191 north and just over the border you turn right across from the ranch houses and this takes you to Browns Park. Along the way there is a turn off for the Tri Corner or Three Corners Area where CO, UT, and WY meet up. At the top is a monument and some info signs along with the views.

Browns Park runs to the east about 30 miles. At the West end you'll find the Jarvie Ranch Historical Site with a bunch of different buildings and signs you can walk through and check out. Near there is a river crossing that will take you up the canyon to the top of Diamond Mountain where the famous Lawman/outlaw Matt Warner had a ranch and there are still a few buildings here. This will also take you to the Jones Hole fish hatchery which sits in a deep "hole" that the road quickly drops down into. This road also goes out to Vernal.

Farther east in Browns Park you will come to a road for the suspension bridge and campground. You can usually drive over this bridge and go up the canyon mentioned above. Last summer a local rancher's hired hand drove an 80 ton tractor over an 8 ton bridge and made a hole in the middle. It's closed to traffic and stock now. There is a route open for pedestrians though. It may be repaired this summer or not. I can't find any info.

From here the road follows a scenic wildlife drive and it has signs for the wildlife, flowers, and the river along the way. At the east end is a campground. You turn left at the main road after the campground and it takes you out to the highway. Turn right and just a few miles down the road is another road to the right where you can check out the Ledore school house which is still being used as a meeting hall today and just down the hill are the remains of the 2 Bar Ranch, some other cabins, and by the school house is a cemetery.

Along the highway out next to the northern mountains there are a couple of cabins which are on private property. These were once owned by historic figures in the history of Browns Park. One of them was the Bassett Ranch house where Butch Cassidy worked for some time. This area was frequented by Butch, Sundance, and some of the Wild Bunch like Kid Curry/Harvey Logan. They would live and work here and had friends that they stayed with in between jobs. This area was well like because of the milder climate and the fact that they were only a short ride from 3 different state borders. The canyon mentioned earlier going up on Diamond Mountain was used to get away from the posses that were following them because it was narrow with steep walls where one or two men with rifles could hold off a much bigger group of men.

The Gates of Ledore are also nearby and are where the Green River enters the steep walled canyons on it's way to the Dinosaur National Monument area.

At Irish Canyon you are at the far east end of the Uinta Mountains. There is a rest area at the mouth of the canyon and some Fremont Indian rock art on both sides of the road. The road travels up through the canyon with some scenic views and if you keep heading north a few miles you can catch hwy 430 back to Rock Springs, WY and I80.

The area from I80 down to Irish Canyon and off to the east and west and then west of hwy 191 is full of roads and you can find old cabins, old town sites, graves, the Cherokee Trail markers, and other things. One side road off of 430 took me out near what's called Adobe Town which is a bunch of rock formations in the Red Desert and is being considered for Wilderness designation. There are ruins of an old fort and some working ranches in the area too. The road will run out through the old town of Bitter Creek which is pretty much completely gone except for some foundations and to I80 about 40 miles or so east of Rock Springs. On the way to Rock Springs from there is the town of Point of Rocks and a partially restored Overland Stage Station, corral, and some graves. The Pony Express also stopped there.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Irish+Canyon,+Moffat+County,+CO/Browns+Park/Flaming+Gorge+Dam+Visitor+Center/Dowds+Grave,+Manila,+UT/Navajo+Cliffs+Group+Picnic+Site/Dowds+Grave,+Manila,+UT/Hoop+Lake+Campground,+Summit+County,+UT/Henrys+Fork+Trailhead,+Evanston,+UT/China+Meadows+Campground/Kamas,+UT/@40.8174719,-109.9608561,9z/data=!4m77!4m76!1m5!1m1!1s0x8744d9151984323d:0x1ab9672213aaec51!2m2!1d-108.7381666!2d40.7880191!1m5!1m1!1s0x874535a2b1a55c59:0xf7dda88ee9a616c1!2m2!1d-109.163333!2d40.880278!1m10!1m1!1s0x875aad9bfee5dec3:0x4f411c983713663b!2m2!1d-109.424271!2d40.914081!3m4!1m2!1d-109.7062488!2d40.8531773!3s0x8750026736e880e7:0x9c8017a8b5f7410e!1m5!1m1!1s0x87501b2ac9f915b7:0x24ce3d4f917130dc!2m2!1d-109.759586!2d40.939808!1m10!1m1!1s0x875004ed55f11df9:0xbf9985eca81aa3c6!2m2!1d-109.724628!2d40.928637!3m4!1m2!1d-109.7212385!2d40.8913233!3s0x875003741069a46f:0x872e68ca81fe4a7c!1m5!1m1!1s0x87501b2ac9f915b7:0x24ce3d4f917130dc!2m2!1d-109.759586!2d40.939808!1m5!1m1!1s0x87503aba6f512f5b:0x2569ce2ae4bb122d!2m2!1d-110.1251!2d40.924683!1m5!1m1!1s0x8751cd2cc920ecb7:0x1a0ebe2208de12fa!2m2!1d-110.331434!2d40.90915!1m10!1m1!1s0x8751cc12ac38b363:0x6bdf123afb8688b1!2m2!1d-110.403774!2d40.931197!3m4!1m2!1d-110.8813615!2d40.7600752!3s0x8751e54231b22f2f:0xbe2023ef44b53066!1m5!1m1!1s0x87520592b065438b:0x8160310e6ee64cb8!2m2!1d-111.2807384!2d40.643007!3e0

This is the route to the ghost town of Piedmont and the charcoal kilns. As you can see you can also reach it, or leave it, by heading north to I80.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Mountain+View,+WY/China+Meadows+Campground,+Forest+Road+186,+Evanston,+UT/Meeks+Cabin+Reservoir/Robertson,+WY/Piedmont,+WY/@41.1265199,-110.5090976,10z/data=!4m32!4m31!1m5!1m1!1s0x8751ab393325c3eb:0x26f8f5653869dab4!2m2!1d-110.3398785!2d41.2688392!1m5!1m1!1s0x8751cc12ac38b363:0x6bdf123afb8688b1!2m2!1d-110.403774!2d40.931197!1m5!1m1!1s0x8751b8ed9e2067bf:0xda75af298de1e6db!2m2!1d-110.5841159!2d41.0116607!1m5!1m1!1s0x8751addbe1137705:0x807bc4aee3d45c1e!2m2!1d-110.4132149!2d41.1852267!1m5!1m1!1s0x8751a15060112d83:0xa3bace110c40efa8!2m2!1d-110.6273902!2d41.2160591!3e0

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,998 Posts
This is another area with things that I had mention in a post way back in the thread.

South Pass and Atlantic City are both old mining towns. They still have many old buildings from back when they were started and are kept up as sort of a museum now that you can tour. People still live there today and there are a couple of campgrounds, bars, and restaurants in the area. To the southeast of Atlantic City is also a historical site where a Mormon handcart company got trapped by early winter storms and several died before help could get to them.

South Pass is the area where a lot of the immigrant trails crossed over the Divide. There are markers and sections of the Mormon, CA, and OR Trails here. Close to Farson there is the spot where the trails split with routes to the northwest and southwest. The northwestern routes entered ID and went on to Oregon. The southwestern routes went on to Fort Bridger, UT and CA. Near La Barge and just to the north of there in Big Piney was a shortcut. You can follow the road up La Barge Creek just south of town or head out west of Big Piney. You will see signs for La Barge Meadow where they fed and rested their stock and had access to wood for repairs, etc. Along here there are graves and info signs and there are also a couple of old historic Forest Service Cabin sites.

This road is a very scenic one and there are several ways to enter/leave besides what I'm showing. You can enter from the south near Kemmerer, Viva Naughton Reservoir, and the Ham's Fork River. To the east there are a couple of roads near Cokeville and just south of Afton, WY. To the northeast there is a road that enters near the end by Daniels and it goes over McDougal Pass. The route I've been on enters at La Barge Creek and heads northwest for about 90 miles and ends at Alpine, WY. Part of the road is called the Greys River Road. You come up on a tiny stream that is the beginning of the Greys River and by the time you get to Alpine it is a big river.

Other things in the area can be found too. Near La Barge you can find Fontenell Reservoir and south of that is the Seedskadee Wildlife Refuge. There are some historic sites in different areas from a wall with names including Jim Bridger to places where the Mountain Men had rendezvous. Kemmerer has the very first J C Penny store still in business today. Going to the northeast of Alpine you travel through the canyon with the Snake River below and lots of scenery until you hit the Hoback Junction and Hwy 191. Turning right here takes you down to Pinedale, WY and eventually Rock Springs. Turning left takes you to Jackson, WY, the Tetons, and Yellowstone. The road south from Alpine takes you through the Star Valley and lots of little towns. Roads branch off to Montpelier, ID or Bear Lake ID/UT. You can turn off at Woodruff, UT and cross over near the Monte Cristo Campground and area to the Pineview Reservoir and Huntsville, UT.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Atlantic+City,+WY/South+Pass+City,+WY/Farson,+WY/La+Barge,+WY/La+Barge+Creek+Rd,+La+Barge,+WY+83123/Alpine,+WY/@42.704161,-110.1421305,8z/data=!4m43!4m42!1m5!1m1!1s0x534cdbd5955700af:0x9126570773ad4611!2m2!1d-108.7306677!2d42.4966221!1m5!1m1!1s0x875975f3bc791bd5:0x145275ae28bb0120!2m2!1d-108.799836!2d42.4682883!1m5!1m1!1s0x8759f8bbab6d21ab:0x1f7a72191dde7272!2m2!1d-109.4427035!2d42.1120397!1m5!1m1!1s0x8757225d71f33a7b:0xcad27d9a99b74116!2m2!1d-110.1946046!2d42.2618865!1m10!1m1!1s0x8756e1adbf5c8671:0x674bb336593f770e!2m2!1d-110.2832025!2d42.2241876!3m4!1m2!1d-110.553507!2d42.3863052!3s0x8756f03ebfe3670f:0x5f6d995b80c65bc2!1m5!1m1!1s0x535350155a6b12f3:0x935e7f43bbd944c1!2m2!1d-111.017778!2d43.161111!3e0

I haven't looked for them yet, but somewhere south of I80 between Evanston and Fort Bridger, WY there are some other ghost towns with some ruins and some with just signs and some railroad tunnels. Also to the north of I80 from Erie/Mountain View, WY there is another ghost town and a cemetery.

A lot of the stuff to the south was built for the railroad like Piedmont which was built for the charcoal and water for the trains. When the railroad wasn't going that way anymore or when they didn't need water and coal the towns and stuff went away.

Near the area of Henry's Fork in the first post with the maps there was a Mountain Man Rendezvous and there were more later on at the site of Fort Bridger. The Fort can be toured today and has many buildings and on Labor Day they still have the Mountain Man Rendezvous re-enactments every year.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Awesome stuff Bigguy! Don't own an FJ anymore either, but I love these routes and your descriptions. Might have to figure out a way to explore them. All I have to do is convince the boss (aka wife :D )

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,998 Posts
Here's the fire tower that I mentioned. It's finished and is scheduled to reopen in June.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,998 Posts
I was down around the Flaming Gorge a couple of days ago and noticed that the campgrounds are starting to open up now. The gate at Deep Creek is also now open so I'm pretty sure that Sheep Creek and the road across the top at this end is open.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Some awesome sounding trail rides Big Guy, be worth a trip south to check it out one year. Next year maybe, going to SD this year for a bit of a holiday.

·
Registered
192 Posts
See signature line below. :grin :cheers:
Yep I am more into checking out trails and stuff, not super technical but fun stuff. I would love to watch some crawling but it sounds expensive to me lol. Well I guess that's why they make armor!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts