Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,837 Posts
Okay I took a little drive today. I left Rock Springs and headed south on Hwy 191 and across the Flaming Gorge Dam and then header towards Manila, UT. I turned off road at Deep Creek and headed up to the top at Sheep Creek and then headed West towards the Spirit Lake Lodge turnoff and then dropped down off the mountain and hit the hwy to the west of Manila near McKinnon. I headed west from there and once again turned off onto the dirt near Lonetree, WY and headed towards Henry's Fork, then China Meadow, and over the route following the Uinta Mountains until I hit the Mirror Lake Highway about 30-35 miles south of Evanston, WY. I headed to Evanston and then back on I80 to Rock Springs. The road through the mountains is open all the way. There are some rough sections from being washed out and a section that's about 5-10 miles long that's really rough and rutted because they are doing a bunch of logging and clearing out dead trees from the pine beetles. A little mud and a tad bit of snow along with some fairly large puddles in one spot. Beautiful day and trip. I drove right at 400 miles with about 200 of that being off road in the dirt and mud. I left town a little past 10am and got back home around 7pm I think it was while making a stop for fuel in Evanston before heading home. I averaged 17.2mpg on the trip and that included being in 4wheel drive for several miles too.

Here's a mixed bag of photos along the way.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,837 Posts
Flowers

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,837 Posts
China Meadow area and the most water I've ever seen in the meadow itself.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,837 Posts
Snow

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,837 Posts
Picnic area

I stopped at a little picnic area right near the Henry's Fork River. There are only 2 picnic tables and fire pits there and no toilets. The river runs behind the site and then under the road about 100ft up from there. Some really nice views. The area is just a little ways across the river from a gas plant and is part of the reason it's there.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,837 Posts
Cabins

Some really old cabins along the way. One of them has a sign about protection our historic sites. Someone fell a tree across part of it and there are some logs missing from the last time i saw it. In the doorway there is a pile of fairly fresh looking sawdust. Some people just have to destroy things it seems. There is another cabin right near that one and I didn't see it as I was in an area being logged so I wasn't really watching for it and it was behind a bunch of brush and trees the last time I was by there. A few miles down the road from there was a bit more destruction. There is a sign announcing the forest. It's made out of logs about 12" thick and has 2 legs with a cross piece and the sign hangs from that. The cross piece is about 6-8ft in the air and it was burned about 1/2 way. More than likely snow mobilers since that area gets a lot of snow and the sign was probably closer to more like ground level then.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,837 Posts
Road shots.

Some shots out the windshield to show the view down the roads.

A normal sight all along the way as the roads are open to ATVs in some areas and there are several trail crossings and entrances/exits too.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,837 Posts
Logging

The area has several parcels of land that are privately owned that are logged and there are areas that are bid on for trees to sell also. Some areas are being cleared of dead trees from the pine beetle too. Lots of trees that are dead and in some areas the forest is so thick with smaller trees from 4-6" that it would be hard to walk side by side with someone without having to split up around trees. Other areas have trees that are a little bigger too. There are sections where there might be say 100 trees and only 5-10 might still be living. Pretty sad. There were several piles of logs waiting to be loaded on the trucks and there were also a few slash piles about the size of a normal 2 story home that had several decent sized logs in them but they were all full of rotted wood inside.

Oh no!! Obstacle in the road!!

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,837 Posts
Mountain shots

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,837 Posts
Mountain shots 2.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,837 Posts