Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Luke,

Great photos of your adventures this summer. Glad the trip to Alaska was a total success. It was a blast doing Black Bear together this year. I was the guy behind you rig.

Regards, Ken

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have a buddy of mine working on roads in the NWT(Fort Mcpherson/Inuvik area)not quite sure where exactly,I'll tell him to keep a look out for you!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
What were you taking your pics with Luke ? There's a lot of really good ones there. :rocker:
Just before hitting Canada I bought a Nikon D300 online and had it sent to me in Kalispell MT. I got several lenses a backpack and a great how-2 video.

It sure takes better pics than the little 10MP Olympus digital box I was using.

Good news: great pictures.
Bad news: Camera size and price.

But I have a new hobby and I'm having fun with it. :)

For the others following this thread, I am now home.
7700 miles driving, 2000 miles on the Alaska Marine Highway and 38 days.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I have a buddy of mine working on roads in the NWT(Fort Mcpherson/Inuvik area)not quite sure where exactly,I'll tell him to keep a look out for you!
I really really, wanted to make it to Inuvik and then fly up and see Tuktoyuktuk NYT. But it's either continue up from Whitehose YKT or go left to Alaska.

The drive would be immense to do both.

I chose to make a left and go to Alaska.

There were (as always) a lot of fires going. Fairbanks was choking on smoke the day I was there. Plus the 200 miles driving into Fairbanks.

I got word that it was the same thing heading to Deadhorse, AK. Hence. I did not go to Arctic Circle. (bummer) I think Inuvik would have been far nicer anyway because Deadhorse, AK is largely an Oil Terminal.

After taking the shuttle in Denali I knew i had to spend time there and I loved it. (hiking and camping) In the future i want to do more.

After Denali, I really wanted to head to Homer and Seward but I sensed I should start the trip home. Plus, I didn't have anyone to go fishing with.

But I really lucked out getting the FJ on the Alaska Marine Highway.
It aint a cruise liner. But far nicer than expected. I lucked out getting a cabin on short notice. #1 on standby at Haines AK.

The ferry was The Columbia and it was perfect. We cruised through 3 days and 4 nights from Haines, AK to Bellingham, WA with day stops in Sitka, Ketchican. Wrangle was in the evening and the Seymore Straight was while I was in the (actually nice) dining room at 8 PM.

You spend 3 days on the deck very close to the water and shore watching Whales and Eagles. (And fishing boats, and Sunsets.....)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts