Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

How much are you spending per month (household) now? Last month, I've spent $475. I thought I was being careful, but I guess not! I'm already avoiding unnecessary trips. 5 years ago, we paid on average, close to $3 less per gallon. It certainly was no big deal to just go out and drive around. Base on the chart, the brunt of high prices have certainly yet to hit. Likely it'll be much higher by Ouray.

I'm ever more aware of how the FJ is set up currently. I've unloaded everything in the back. Checked filters, fluids, pressure, and everything that I can to see if I can save more gas. It's not that I'm starving, but it's one of those things that I feel I don't need to waste.

How much are you spending now and is it changing your lifestyle?

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
I fill up twice a week. Commute Fort Worth to Dallas and try to baby the FJ. Was working a 2nd job but busniess was slow and they have temporarily laid me off. I am bringing my lunch everyday and don't get my hair cut as often. Drinking cheaper beer, but may have to cut that out completely soon.
I am picking up some stock tires/wheels tonight in an effort to regain mpg lost from the Super Swampers.

·
Premium Member
13,654 Posts
I average about $550 - $600 a month in fuel(supreme only).

Like FJamming, I cleaned out the FJ and put everything away. Changed my fluids and try to keep it clean.

Other than that, most of my current lifestyle changes have been for my health, not for fuel savings.

Everyting else is as normal.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Between 2 vehicles were about 450-500/mo (not including roadtrips). It sucks, but It's still not expensive enough. Too many a$$es still on the roads ;)

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
I've changed my driving speeds, went to Royal Purple oil, E3 plugs (whenever they get here), keep the air filter clean and I'm changing the differentials and transfer case oil to Royal Purple.

Being a geezer, I can remember being in OK City in the early 60s during the gas wars. The cheapest price I ever saw was 9.9 cents a gallon. It didn't last long, but I did get a tank full. Normal gas war prices were 11.9 cents a gallon. Oh for those prices again! Of course, I was in the Air Force and making about $88 a month...

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
When I had my first car 55 Chevy, gas was 19 cents per gallon.. Ron

I've changed my driving speeds, went to Royal Purple oil, E3 plugs (whenever they get here), keep the air filter clean and I'm changing the differentials and transfer case oil to Royal Purple.

Being a geezer, I can remember being in OK City in the early 60s during the gas wars. The cheapest price I ever saw was 9.9 cents a gallon. It didn't last long, but I did get a tank full. Normal gas war prices were 11.9 cents a gallon. Oh for those prices again! Of course, I was in the Air Force and making about $88 a month...

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
I use about three tanks per month, currently about $180 or so. If I still had my Rubicon, it'd be at least $240. The increase in gas cost for my driving is less worrisome that the effect on food and everything else. Ron

How much are you spending per month (household) now? Last month, I've spent $475. I thought I was being careful, but I guess not! I'm already avoiding unnecessary trips. 5 years ago, we paid on average, close to $3 less per gallon. It certainly was no big deal to just go out and drive around. Base on the chart, the brunt of high prices have certainly yet to hit. Likely it'll be much higher by Ouray.

I'm ever more aware of how the FJ is set up currently. I've unloaded everything in the back. Checked filters, fluids, pressure, and everything that I can to see if I can save more gas. It's not that I'm starving, but it's one of those things that I feel I don't need to waste.

How much are you spending now and is it changing your lifestyle?

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
I spent around $1,650.00 last month...I drive alot and it is tapping in to my MOD money...:(

·
Registered
96 Posts
I used to love pointing to the inflation adjusted chart and say gas has not changed price much in the last century. It wont be long before I cant do that anymore. This chart is a couple months old, so the last value is a little lower then it should be. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next couple years. I am also looking to see if I can find a chart showing the cost of gas in the US when compared to a foreign currency like the Brit pound or the euro. This might show how much the decline of the US dollar has impacted our price on a global commodity.

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Right now I am running through 2 tanks a week at about $70/tank so I am up to about $600 a month for gas if I baby it. The really sad thing is that we drive my hubby's Titan on the weekend. My FJ sits.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I ride a bike and take a commuter train to work. I also walk to the store. I just started this month, but I am pretty sure gas will be about 50.00 per month provided I don't go on any long road trips :king:

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
I was a gas pump jockey in high school and college during the 1960's. Yeah, gas station employees actually pumped gas for you back then. ;)

It was "only" 25 cents/gallon for regular in those days and I still remember guys pulling up in those huge V8 sedans giving me a $1 for 4 gallons, when it would have only cost about $5 to fill up the entire tank. Now, $5 will only get you a little over a gallon, but it's pretty consistent with the historical rate of inflation (about double every 10 years).

But, man, those really seem like the "good old" the days now! :lol:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Gas up here is now at about $5.70 a gallon... We use a tank in the truck and a tank in the van each month. It's about $200 and that includes fishing trips!! I'm really gald I don't have to drive far for anything up here!

Back in my day.... 17 years ago.... I could fill up my Hyundai Pony for $18-$20 and drive 700 km before I had to fill it again! Now I just put gas in when I need it and don't htink about how much it is. Things change when you start making good money!!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts