Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off Hello and thank you for your time.

This is a SC fueling winter thread

I have owned a 3.3 maybe 3.4 Toyota 4runner (2000) with a TRD SC and put 190,000 with not one issue.
I owned a 2008 sequoia with a TRD SC and had lots of issues especially in the winter. Toyota did the reflash but of course I learned via forum members I was not alone with winter fueling isues. The SC was great in weather above 45 degrees but below the A/F mapping had several flat spots that the ECU could not account for without maybe going to a wide band commander which would end my warranty.

So my question is how is the Mapping A/F and winter weather? How many hours were you charged for labor? Do you have to turn off the traction control etc to get the full benefit of the SC like with the sequoia? I love the extra power although it could be better its a kick in the pants on that day I want it:) I own a fast corvette and a 2009 206HP Vmax if I need insane speed.

Would you ladies and gents who have experience with the SC in colder weather in the FJ do it again? Anyone who has owned the SC in one of my other vehicles is the increase in HP/TQ about the same in the FJ with the SC?

Thank you for your responses

·
Vendor
542 Posts
The problem you are talking about with the 5.7 was not a fueling issue it was a problem with a conflict with the vehicle stability control program. In cold weather the engine would make so much power it would accelerate very hard and exceed the G limit programmed in the vehicle stability control system and it would react to this by closing the throttle and reducing engine power. That is why you had to disable the vehicle stability control system to prevent that from happening.

The TRD reflash for the 1GR does have its own problems, but not that one.

URD has tuned a lot of these trucks with and without the TRD reflash with our and the TRD supercharger installed.

Most of the problems we have seen is the AFR is all over the place and erratic when you compare one truck to another.

For example, shortly after the TRD supercharger came out we had a big meet in MD and I put my wideband on every TRD supercharged truck and the meet. What I found was about 1/3 was stupid rich, 1/3 was dangerously lean, and about 1/3 seemed to be where it should be as far as AFR.

As we gained more tuning experience we have found is the super lean ones for some reason are completely ignoring data from the MAF sensor as the supercharger went into boost. We can adjust the signal from the MAF up and down as far as we want and it has no affect at all on the AFR. If this was a normal engine this would be a failure mode called speed/throttle mode, sometimes called limp mode. It allows the engine to run and get you home at reduced power and reduced RPM, but with the TRD reflash you don't get a check engine light or any indication that something is not right. These trucks are very hard to tune, but it can be done with a few tricks.

I have also seen trucks with two dead front AFR sensors (O2) and stuck in continuous open loop mode and no check engine light being set.

If you decide to go with the TRD supercharger URD can help you dial it in for good reliable performance. We also about to release our revise supercharger system for the FJ that I think you may like.

G

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
The problem you are talking about with the 5.7 was not a fueling issue it was a problem with a conflict with the vehicle stability control program. In cold weather the engine would make so much power it would accelerate very hard and exceed the G limit programmed in the vehicle stability control system and it would react to this by closing the throttle and reducing engine power. That is why you had to disable the vehicle stability control system to prevent that from happening.

The TRD reflash for the 1GR does have its own problems, but not that one.

URD has tuned a lot of these trucks with and without the TRD reflash with our and the TRD supercharger installed.

Most of the problems we have seen is the AFR is all over the place and erratic when you compare one truck to another.

For example, shortly after the TRD supercharger came out we had a big meet in MD and I put my wideband on every TRD supercharged truck and the meet. What I found was about 1/3 was stupid rich, 1/3 was dangerously lean, and about 1/3 seemed to be where it should be as far as AFR.

As we gained more tuning experience we have found is the super lean ones for some reason are completely ignoring data from the MAF sensor as the supercharger went into boost. We can adjust the signal from the MAF up and down as far as we want and it has no affect at all on the AFR. If this was a normal engine this would be a failure mode called speed/throttle mode, sometimes called limp mode. It allows the engine to run and get you home at reduced power and reduced RPM, but with the TRD reflash you don't get a check engine light or any indication that something is not right. These trucks are very hard to tune, but it can be done with a few tricks.

I have also seen trucks with two dead front AFR sensors (O2) and stuck in continuous open loop mode and no check engine light being set.

If you decide to go with the TRD supercharger URD can help you dial it in for good reliable performance. We also about to release our revise supercharger system for the FJ that I think you may like.

G
Well put! Thanks for the easy to follow explanation.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
URD I truly admire your company and if you were closer to me I would be a great customer:) I thank you for your response, although your knowledge and experience is greater than mine I can't drive to you if I have an issue like I had to do with toyota:(

Everything you said to a non auto engine tune guy is UUUUHHH??? Can you fix it? Toyota couldn't and really almost made me not buy another toyota but lets face it they make a great vehicle and when you mod there will be issues.

My question is am I gonna have the same issues with the FJ in winter?

Thank you [email protected] so much for your answer & I love your Video's and passion for what you do..

Just out of curiosity if I decided to drive over what kind of time am I looking at in days to stay at a hotel to really do it right? Money??

·
Vendor
542 Posts
There have not been any issues with the Vehicle Stability Control System slamming the throttle shut from to much acceleration on any of the 1GR-FE supercharger applications.

G

·
Registered
218 Posts
There have not been any issues with the Vehicle Stability Control System slamming the throttle shut from to much acceleration on any of the 1GR-FE supercharger applications.

G
Naw, but I do have problems keeping my 6MT from hitting the rev limiter when I stomp on it in 1st. :rocker: Had to learn to kind of squeeze it off the line in 1st and then hammer it in 2nd on up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts