Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a front leveling kit which puts the FJ exactly level until the kids get in the back. Than it looks like I get about a 1/2 sag. Question is would placing some rubber spring blocks in the rear springs firm up the back so it remains level?? Or what else would work???

·
Registered
876 Posts
I just installed a front leveling kit which puts the FJ exactly level until the kids get in the back. Than it looks like I get about a 1/2 sag. Question is would placing some rubber spring blocks in the rear springs firm up the back so it remains level?? Or what else would work???
1. The FJ is supposed to look a bit "nose down" in the front. It is designed into the body. The distance from the frame/sill up to the front fender lip is purposely shorter than it is in the back.

By adding a "leveling kit," you are actually combatting this design - bringing the front higher than the rear in terms of body and frame. You will find this out by measuring from the ground up to the frame/sill between the two wheel wells.

2. If when your kids get in the back, it drops a bit - so what. That's your suspension doing what it's supposed to do - move, ie: compress under additional weight.

3. The more you add to your suspension in terms of additional pieces beyond the stock/factory design of components, the more will find needs attention and likely becomes an issue down the road.

A.W.D.

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
Every time you push the gas pedal after a red light or stop sign the rear end drops slightly.
Every time you turn a corner one side sags.
It will never be perfectly level all of the time. It would be the ride from hell if you did find springs stiff enough that the FJ never moved from perfectly level, IMHO.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me rephrase the question. What easy install would raise the rear about a 1/2 an inch?? I would have thought the manufacture of the leveling kit what have made sure the front was just a tad lower than the rear. The last kit I installed on my Titan was like that. So when completely loaded it was level and when empty the front sat just slightly lower than the rear.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Let me rephrase the question. What easy install would raise the rear about a 1/2 an inch?? I would have thought the manufacture of the leveling kit what have made sure the front was just a tad lower than the rear. The last kit I installed on my Titan was like that. So when completely loaded it was level and when empty the front sat just slightly lower than the rear.
I am with the others on this one. What you have described seems to be the way the FJ was designed.

The only thing i can suggest to make it closer to what you are hoping for is a couple choices.
Get a smaller spacer for the front (which i doubt you want to do)
Add airbags to the rear suspension. There are forum members that have done this to prevent sagging when towing a boat. They have also made install threads on the subject.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...simple-towing-suspension-mod-air-springs.html

While not a 5 minutes fix, i think it will suite your needs very well. Hope this will help.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Air bags sound like an easy solution to the problem. Heck had I know I'd have to go through all this I'd let the darn thing alone(probably not!). I just hated the way the front sagged so bad. Seems it's a little more noticeable on the off-road package with the 16" wheels as compared to the 17" wheels. I sure like the looks a lot better level.

Why can't I ever be happy?????

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Air bags sound like an easy solution to the problem. Heck had I know I'd have to go through all this I'd let the darn thing alone(probably not!). I just hated the way the front sagged so bad. Seems it's a little more noticeable on the off-road package with the 16" wheels as compared to the 17" wheels. I sure like the looks a lot better level.

Why can't I ever be happy?????

Thanks guys!
No probs. Mods only help fill that hole for so long, then you are looking for a new mod.

I don't noticed much of a sag when i have passengers in the rear, but i have OME springs which have a higher spring rate.

·
Banned
3,591 Posts
If you remove the springs and shocks.....weight will no longer change the stance.....

When you step on a scale....is there a way to keep the number from changing from 0 ??? NO there isn't!!!

·
Registered
876 Posts
Perhaps, simply changing out the rear springs all together is your answer. Most rear spring replacements don't raise more than an inch an a half or so, and if you go with a relatively low spring rate, you just may accomplish what (I think) you're trying to...

A.W.D.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The real fix would be to pull the leveling blocks and have them shaved by another 1/4". However the 1st set the company sent me (ebay) made the front set up 1/2 higher than the rear. When I called them they offered to custom cut a set and overnight them to me. Pretty good customer service!! These came in so I had to take the FJ back over to the shop, have them pull the 1st set and install the 2nd. Which now is perfectly level until I get weight in the back. Don't get me wrong it's not terrible but I would have thought they would have taken into consideration added weight in the rear.

I'm not sure if having an off-road addition with 16" wheels apposed to the 17" wheels is an issue with some of these leveling kits???

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I know exaclty what you're saying. On my suspension I went with the following:
OME883 front springs. "Leveled". Well, now the rear was low. So I went to CornfedSuspensions.com and got a 1" spacer for the rear.
THEN, I went with the OME 3" spsension kit which included OME 884 front springs plus rear springs. Again, a level 3" lift kit.
Lucky for me I still had those 1" rear spacers. They are still under my rear springs. So I have a slight rake (not as much as stock), yet with a 3" lift under it. I feel it's a perfect balance. And I've had the truck loaded-up. At worst, it's right at what appears to be "level". I think a truly leveled out FJ looks nose-high to me. Just doesn't fit. Like the old 4Runner's.
Anyway, you're thinking right. Don't let the front-end=stiffer=better crowd sway you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.