Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I just got off the phone with ARB to find out the skinny on front and rear bumpers for the FJC. According to ARB they have not received their FJC yet (I got the impression they are waiting till launch just like us) and until they have the truck they are not able to design their bull bar. They said that it could take 5 to 6 months and maybe longer before they will have something ready for sale. I know this is different then what I posted before but I can only report on what I am being told. :( I know that a bunch of companies took critical dimensions at an earlier event but I assume this isn't enough to make the new bar.

They did say that their other offerings like suspension and lockers should hit shortly after launch as these are based off their 4-Runner offerings.

I also asked about the SEMA truck and what they used for the bull bar there. A company in CA called TLC did the retrofit and they used a 4 Runner bull bar to do it. I spoke with TLC to find out how much fab work had to be done in case I didn't want to wait for ARB to release a FJC specific bumper. TLC said that the work was pretty extensive but they person who did it was at the LA show and if I wanted more details to call back. If someone is at that show and comes across anyone from TLC be sure to ask some questions.

The good news is that 5 to 6 months isn't all that long to wait, some companies can take a year or two before offering aftermarket parts. The bad news is that most of us will go for a half a year with that plastic front end.

-Granger

·
Registered
282 Posts
Sounds all too familiar. ARB has been saying this for the 4runner for the longest time :( 5-6 months have now become 3-4 yrs! What makes this even more painful is that they made the bumper for the Pathfinder before the 4runner!!! what the heck?

Anyway, the good news is that atleast you have the front/rear lockers available (front only if you got the rear from toy) and the suspension setup since it's all the same as the prado/4runner one on the market.

Suspension options:
Total Chaos Fabrications: Long Travel Suspension
Camburg: Long Travel Suspension

OME Suspension:
Medium Duty Coils (front/rear) 884/895
Heavy Duty Coils (front/rear) 885/896
Extra Heavy Duty Coils (front/rear) 886/897
Shocks (front/rear) N140S/N142

Cornfed Suspension: 3" lift front / 2" lift rear
Revtek Suspension: 3" lift front / 2" lift rear
Daystar Suspension: 2.5" lift front / 2.5" lift rear
Donahoe Racing: 3.5" lift front coilover
Sway A Way: 3" lift front coilover
Downey Offroad: 3" lift front coilover / 2.5" lift rear shock and coil
Deaver Springs: 2" lift rear coil

ARB Locker:
FRONT - RD111 (gears for 4.10 or higher)
FRONT - RD121 (gears for 4.10 or less)
REAR - RD23 (if you didn't get the rear locker)

It's a start for modding your new fj for now that is... :)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
For GT Lance or other suspension gurus out there...
I was planning on not getting a lift until maybe later, like after my first set of tires wear out or after a few door dings. I was going to get the ARB bullbar/Warn winch setup asap though. So will replacing a few ounces of OEM plastic bumper up front with close to 200lbs of aftermarket steal equipment have negative effects on my handling and stock suspension? You won't offend me if "Duh" is your answer but I have seen this equipment on stock rigs before, I've just never asked anyone's opinion about before and after driving characteristics. I think someone in another thread a while back said a lift would be required to accomodate the extra weight. If ARB is going to take 3 years to design a bull bar for the FJC then maybe I'll start thinking about a lift sooner.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've seen ppl with the ARB/winch combo on stock vehicles. How they manage to support the additional weight and not worry about ground clearance really surprises me. I guess some only go on fireroads where ground clearance isn't a high priority and having the steel bumper and the winch is more important (think outback - remote areas).

I honestly think that ARB will be very slow to get something out. I'm very dissapointed but then again that's their track record for other items. They're just slow in getting something in production but quick in one off deals for trade shows. I think it's all economics and they want to research and test marketability before even attempting to manufacture it.

I'd say go with the lift now since you know there are lots of options already out there. Just go with any lift available for the 03+ 4runner / 05+ Tacoma (front only). Personally the OME kits is pretty darn nice so that'll probably be your best bet. I've seen prices as low as 699 shipped (conus).

Also, lift and tires will set you back quite a few anyway so I'd say unless you have $$ to burn real quick, it's good to do it in progress :) Also you can document your fj's build which is always great to look back on.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good Times,

I plan on getting the ARB/Winch combo. How much lift should I be looking at? And with that lift, what size tires and what brands?

Sorry to be so clueless, but the last lift I got was 8 years ago on my jeep and I remember buying what was inexpensive not what is best.

Thanks for your continued help,

Granger

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'd say the OME lift is by far the best overall suspension setup I think. If you want to spend a bit more, you can go with the coilover setup from either Donahoe, Downey or Swayaway. If you do the coilover route, you'll be able to fine tune your height as it's adjustable and don't forget to get OME's on the rear as none of the vendors has anything to offer on the rear (except for Downey).

A 3" lift should suffice btw. O yeah another thing to note, make sure you get the synthetic line instead of the cable stuff as it's safer and also a great weight saver.

With the 3" lift, you can fit 285's but will probably require some trimming (can't say for certain as it has never been outfitted by one so when it becomes available, user exerience will be key here). Numbers and measurements can only go so far, the real testing has to be done on the road/trails for best fitting tires. Personally I love the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R as the best all around tires followed by the Revo's in the close second. I've never really tested Nitto but wouldn't mind if they offer em to me :) (callin ya out nitto... hehe).

Anyway, tire selection will vary accordingly to location but these two tires are pretty popular all around. I know there are other tires such as BFG's but I've never been too fond of them. I think tires should be better determined by the type of trails you will venture off to. Trail conditions will play a crucial role in what kind of tires to get so I'd say study your surrounding trails that you like playing in and go from there. Go with other friends/members experience on the tire/trail combination and go with that one. Everyone will have an unique experience on combinations so talk to them on the front lines as they'll have the best experience possible. Now if you're out here in the west coast, I'd say MT/R's baby :)

Good luck!

·
Official Field Agent
1,146 Posts
Good Times said:
...A 3" lift should suffice btw...
in all actuality a lift is not necessary to compensate for the heavier bullbar/winch. all you really need is new springs with a higher spring rate. the problem is finding a supplier who can get you better springs and keep stock ride height; much easier to just buy the minimal lift to get the springs.

·
Registered
92 Posts
so anyone know what the front brush guard options will be (other than the toyota) at or right after initial release?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Elwood said:
so anyone know what the front brush guard options will be (other than the toyota) at or right after initial release?
This one is highly likely. I think it Wagner

·
Registered
40 Posts
Regarding the question about an ARB + winch having an effect on the FJ's
front end, I've read numerous articles and treads from owners that the
OME's will sag over time and just don't cut it in regards to the added
170lbs of weight. The OME seems to be fine if you just want a lift but adding that bumper and winch opens up a can of worms. Most seem
to be going with Donahoe or Camburg coilovers which can better handle
the extra weight and are adjustable. This all comes from Tacoma owners
but should apply to the FJ as well. There are a lot of threads regarding
this topic at Tacomaterratory.com.

·
Registered
108 Posts
illFJC said:
OME=OEM ?? or a part company?
(sorry)
OME = Old Man Emu. An Australian-based aftermarket company that specializes in Off-road oriented equipments and accessories.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. The term "OEM" is used to refer to original spare parts (i.e. a Toyota oil filter instead of Fram) or the car manufacturer itself. It can also be used to indicate companies (i.e. Aisin, Denso, NGK, Delphi, Motorcraft, Delphi, DANA, Visteon, etc.) that supply parts to car manufacturers.

BTW, I would wait for FJ Cruiser-specific spring/damper combos. Fitting springs/dampers meant for another vehicle with different weight will cause improper suspension tuning.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
POS VETT said:
OME = Old Man Emu. An Australian-based aftermarket company that specializes in Off-road oriented equipments and accessories.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. The term "OEM" is used to refer to original spare parts (i.e. a Toyota oil filter instead of Fram) or the car manufacturer itself. It can also be used to indicate companies (i.e. Aisin, Denso, NGK, Delphi, Motorcraft, Delphi, DANA, Visteon, etc.) that supply parts to car manufacturers.
Old Man Emu. Okay, got it. Thanks.

I know what OEM means. Thanks though. :) I thought maybe he had gotten the letters mixed up as I wasn't aware of OME.

·
Registered
282 Posts
POS VETT said:
BTW, I would wait for FJ Cruiser-specific spring/damper combos. Fitting springs/dampers meant for another vehicle with different weight will cause improper suspension tuning.
OME has 3 different coils for different weights that ppl have so it should be fine. All of the mfg's that I know are using one part for all three models (tacoma/4runner/fj) so I doubt that OME will rebuild their parts to accomodate for the slight weight adjustment. The most OME will do is relabel the parts but the part numbers themselves will be the same.

Toyota uses interchangeable parts for cost reasons so you should be fine w/ the taco/4runner setup. I haven't heard of any problems w/ people using either the taco or 4runner setting so the likelihood that the fj group will have problems are slim.

good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts