Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I left the automated car wash, yesterday and noticed a film all over the vehicle. I returned and got another wash code, only this time, the wash shut down, halfway through (With me still in it). Long story short, it was completely covered in hydraulic fluid. I raced home and double washed the paint and triple washed the glass. I got most of it off, with exception of the roof, where I have a finely meshed Gobi rack. The crap is everywhere, on top.

Any suggestions on how to tackle this mess? My thought was to go over it several times with the foam cannon and rinse with pressure washer.

Al this mess and I never demanded to yell at a manager (I hear that helps the situation).

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
I’d take it to a good body shop and send them the bull. You will not get any compensation for time or material you use to fix it yourself. They should pay for truck rental as well. Talk to your insurance company.

·
Premium Member
2,176 Posts
That just sucks.
Last time you take your FJ to a car wash?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
It's probably mineral-based hydraulic fluid. If you Google the problem, you'll find one of 2 sources for getting that stuff blown all over your car or truck. One is a truck breaking a hydraulic line and spraying the vehicle on the road, the other is in of course a car wash. Remind me not to go to a car wash EVER! Some have claimed the concentrated dish soap Dawn works great for removing the stuff (it's used to clean oil off animals). Of course you have to wax things all over again. But your real problem might be all the rubber on your FJ. Mineral-based fluids will attack rubber. Get a good wash or professional detailing (send the car wash the bill) and get it all off asap, in the doors, even underneath and in the engine compartment. I wouldn't wish your problem on anyone. :eek:

·
Premium Member
2013 Trail Teams <>< <>< <*((^(((><
849 Posts
I’ve used this product to get the grease off of the outside of my stainless steel gas grill and it worked great! Not sure how it will cause any issues with the paint.

<>< <>< <><. <*((^(((><
Water Liquid Drinkware Fluid Automotive lighting

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I went after the roof a few times with car soap and a pressure rinse. It is MUCH better, but still a thin layer on the roof. I’ll go at it one more time tomorrow, only with Dawn. I’ve heard dish soap strips pretty well, not a problem since the FJ only gets a periodic “ceramic” spray wax. I don’t think I’ve ever washed the roof on purpose, in 14 years.

I’d still use a car wash out of convenience. I don’t really blame anyone, just want the crap off my vehicle. Figure I have the time right now and can have most of this resolved before the next work week even begins. As long as my paint doesn’t start falling off, I’m fine.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Definitely go to that place and tell the attendant what happened so at least the next guy doesn't get hit. If there's no attendant there will be a phone #

This is why you only catch me at the self serve!

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I went after the roof a few times with car soap and a pressure rinse. It is MUCH better, but still a thin layer on the roof. I’ll go at it one more time tomorrow, only with Dawn. I’ve heard dish soap strips pretty well, not a problem since the FJ only gets a periodic “ceramic” spray wax. I don’t think I’ve ever washed the roof on purpose, in 14 years.

I’d still use a car wash out of convenience. I don’t really blame anyone, just want the crap off my vehicle. Figure I have the time right now and can have most of this resolved before the next work week even begins. As long as my paint doesn’t start falling off, I’m fine.
Paint should be fine, even with a Dawn soaping. Just refresh your ceramic and you might want to do the roof this time. But any rubber might not do well unless thoroughly cleaned. I'm talking about the door seals and those rubber seals around the hood. And God only knows about things down inside the cowl area. What a nightmare. :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
I knock the chunks off at home then go to a pressure washer place. Their liquid wax goes on hot and lasts a few months. It is especially useful to get rid of pollen buildup.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Wow, that is not good! It sounds like you are able to get it cleaned off. I do not use automatic car washes. I always wash by hand and have my own pressure washer if needed.

·
fka BLACK HAWK
3,353 Posts
just remember: Dawn will strip all oils/varnishes off the vehicle down to the clear coat. after Dawn it is highly recommended to re wax/ceramic the vehicle to protect the paint

·
Registered
2012 FJ 4X4 Automatic Convenience Package and Upgrade Package
149 Posts
I’ve used this product to get the grease off of the outside of my stainless steel gas grill and it worked great! Not sure how it will cause any issues with the paint.

<>< <>< <><. <*((^(((><
I detailed cars while I was in college. Dawn dish soap is exactly what I used for the exterior AND shampooing the interior. Never had any problems with the paint, seats, or carpet being affected by the solution.

Reactions: Sparky of NWO

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,816 Posts
Self serve only for me, both because of my lightbar and also it’s important to keep salt off the undercarriage. I actually enjoy doing it, way more fun than the drive through, and now I know I’ll be avoiding potential hydraulic fluid showers 🙄 Good luck to you!

·
Premium Member
2012 Trail Teams
43 Posts
Could be worse.
Friend of mine was going through the wash while one of the attendants was hosing off one of the spinning brushes with the wand they use to presoak each car. Yes, the brush grabbed the wand out of his hands and flopped, flopped, flopped down half the side of his Audi before they could shut down the line.
He was compensated but still...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts