Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

November 2019 Rig of the Month Interview Continued

Hayden: Any modifications unique to only your FJ Cruiser?

Firemedic831: I think the most unique mod to my FJ has been the wrap . It does nothing performance-wise, but it sure gets people looking. The only down side to it is everyone knows where I am now. I have been working on getting some other things done also like moving the body mount, and tubing the front wheel well.

Hayden: What modification has been your favorite or has been the most worth the money/time/effort that you’d recommend it to someone else?

Firemedic831: I think if I had to pick just one mod that I think has been the biggest gain would be the long travel rear set up. I am now running Resz Fab upper and lower links, a Resz Fab pan hard bar, Metal Tech Medium LT springs, and Radflo 2.5 custom rear shocks .

Hayden: What upgrade has been your least favorite, or what modification would you do differently if you had to do it over again?

Firemedic831: There really has not been a lot that I would not do again. As my FJ has evolved I have changed somethings. For instance last year I installed a new Metal Tech front bumper that I really like but I have found that it sticks out a little too much and I hit it on some steep climbs. I have since changed to a Resz Fab 2.5 front with custom hoop. It will also let me showcase the ComeUp rsi 9.5 winch, I have the rs 9.5 now.

Hayden: What future modifications do you have planned for your FJC?

Firemedic831: Hahaha . When does it stop? I have been building in stages. I go out and wheel then find things to improve on. I will probably focus on engine and trans upgrades this year. I also have bought everything to do a solid axle conversion. I have a set of URD spec U headers coming and I will get the Nomad valve body for the trans. I guess I could circle back to mods I would change, that would be my rims. I should have gone with 17s since it is hard to find tires in 37-39 range for 16s. So I will most likely be getting a set of 17 inch beadlock wheels. I am also working on a custom rear bumper.

Hayden: Where all have you been with your FJ Cruiser? What trail/park/location is your favorite?

Firemedic831: I have taken the FJ all over. When I first got the FJ I was going to make an Alaska trip, but I have not checked that off yet sadly, but I am getting close. I have been to Moab 3 times in the last 2 years, Cruise Moab and Moab before Summit twice. I have been to FJ summit the past 2 years where I have been a trail leader both times. I have been to King of the Hammers and plan to go again this year. I have been to Sierra Trek were I was able to do the Fordyce trail. And I have been to the Rubicon. This year we have a great group that is going to meet for the Moab before Summit then we will head west for Fordyce and the Rubicon, I am excited about that trip. That actually just may be the biggest group of FJCs to do the Rubicon ever! Right now I would have to say the Rubicon is my favorite trail.

Hayden: What park/location have you not been to yet that you would like to take your FJ to?

Firemedic831: I would like to do some trails in Colorado, like Holy Cross and of course drive up to Alaska. I am currently following an Alaska adventure trip that is in the planning stages.

Hayden: Has anyone on the forum inspired your build or been a go to resource for you?

Firemedic831: There have been so many great builds on the Forums. I try and take a little from each build. DebFJVT has been a huge asset in my build. Zeros FJ, Sarah, is so crafty. Iconic, Tahoe FJ, and a lot of old builds from members that no longer have their FJs. The really cool part is I have become personal friends with these great people and many more since I have started this build. Metal Tech, Resz Fab, ComeUP, and Radflo have all been very helpful. I would have to say that Deb has inspired me the most though.

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
A few pics of my new rear shock mounts . this will allow me to raise the shocks up . The last 2 pics are for reference to how the shock mounts now and how it will mount . The mount will get frenched into the frame .

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Firemedic831
That is about the cleanest FJ I have ever seen. Congrats on your very well done (ongoing lol )build.
I have been to the Great Smokey Mountain Trailride in 90-93 with my black BJ70 along with "AL"(Rip) in a red 60 series. Not sure if you would have been around then.

I am trying hard to keep my new to me FJC as a daily driver (winter fun) moderate trail ride truck with a few choice mods without going all in. Builds like yours are very enticing.

I have wall trophies with longest distance driven for GSMTR and Cruise Moab (2006).

Great Job!!

·
Premium Member
1,768 Posts
Firemedic831
That is about the cleanest FJ I have ever seen. Congrats on your very well done (ongoing lol )build.
I have been to the Great Smokey Mountain Trailride in 90-93 with my black BJ70 along with "AL"(Rip) in a red 60 series. Not sure if you would have been around then.

I am trying hard to keep my new to me FJC as a daily driver (winter fun) moderate trail ride truck with a few choice mods without going all in. Builds like yours are very enticing.

I have wall trophies with longest distance driven for GSMTR and Cruise Moab (2006).

Great Job!!
I did not start going to GSMTR till around 99-2000 . Great times . And thank you , I try and keep it looking good .

41 - 46 of 46 Posts