Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Sockless Superstar
11,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Congratulations to Gary and Paula Eshelby (AKA Mr and Mrs Nevadaesh) on being named the FJCruiserForums November Member of the Month. Muddygrrl conducted an interview with the two, which you can read by clicking here: Mr & Mrs Nevadaesh

·
Sockless Superstar
11,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: November Member of the Month:

Congratulations to Gary and Paula Eshelby (AKA Mr and Mrs Nevadaesh) on being named the FJCruiserForums November Member of the Month.

Muddygrrl: What are your future plans for the FJ?

Mr & Mrs Nevadaesh: We have very few major mods to do. One is a winch. We have the Lucrum winch mount laying in my shop, waiting for a winch. The second is a ARB/Engle fridge. And maybe a permanent water reservoir and water heater. And possibly a snorkel for all the dust we eat. That, I think, will get “Bob” to where we want it for our future plans. Which are to go on extended expeditions as comfortably as possible.

MG:What will your FJ look like years from now?
NVD:Well worn, pin-striped, dusty and still pretty in our eyes.

MG:What will you look back on and remember most?
NVD: We both think it will be all the great people we’ve met through the FJ Forum.

MG: What has the forum done for you and what can the forum learn from you?
NVD: The Forum is an incredible source of information on everything FJ and therefore has kept me under control as far as mods go. Reading others build threads led me to go slow-to wait until we decided what we really were going to do with the FJ. Relax, have fun, enjoy life and Get Outside!

MG: What is the most unusual thing about you?
NVD: Two things stand out: We have moved so many times (job-related) that we are currently living in our 32nd home. Second: We spent 6 years and 3 months living in a remote area of north central Oregon without electricity, running water or plumbing. We did have solar panels after the second year that ran lights, radio, TV, and fan.

MG: What was the best day of your life?
NVD: Hands down, we agree it was the day(s) our children were born.

MG: Where or what is your most desired adventure/excursion?
NVD: Western Australia @ ExplorOz
Canning Stock Route and Bungle Bungles (what a name!)

MG: What is your favorite trail/trip?
NVD: Pleasant Canyon/South Park Loop with Chicken Rock in Death Valley, California. It’s got so much to explore that you could spend a week just on that.

MG: What is your favorite modification to date?
Nevadaesh: computer mount (which allows us to type the answers to these questions as we head to Mohave National Preserve).
MrsNevadaesh: the rock rails, especially now that the OME’s are on. She uses them for steps.

MG: What mod would you not do again?
NVD: So far nothing.

MG: What does your FJ do for you? How has it affected your life?
MrNevadaesh: feels great every time he gets behind the wheel. It’s made driving fun, even if it’s just to go to the store.
MrsNevadaesh: says she finally feels like learning to drive a 4x4, since the FJ is so “cute” and all.
NVD: But far beyond that, it has added a new focus to our lives together and has given us adventures to look forward to, memories to look back on, and a lot of fun on the way.

MG: What other recreation do you enjoy?
NVD: Occasionally we’ll go through Open Houses just for fun.
We used to renovate/remodel the houses we lived in prior to selling. We considered it fun. Gary has a wood shop that he’s getting put together, and someday hopes to get some projects done. Paula also has an art studio and can be seen in there some days.

MG: Who are you in real life?
NVD: Is this a trick question?
MrNevadaesh during the work week is a bureaucrat, but hasn’t always been that way.
MrsNevadaesh during the work week tries to teach kids while being a substitute teacher. It is still the same as when you went to school and had a substitute…
Beyond that, if they were younger they would sign up for The Amazing Race.

MG: Why did you buy your FJ?
NVD: Cause MrNevadaesh was in love with it…it’s his mid-life crisis…and our old Tacoma 4x4 was too uncomfortable.

MG: How do you expect your mods to benefit you?
NVD: Each mod was done for a specific reason, and each has achieved it’s intended purpose. The FJ now has underbelly protection, side protection, extended fuel range, extra storage, high-tech compatibility and communication skills.

MG: What is your favorite music? What CD’s are in your player right now?
NVD: Both of us have always been big blues fans. Unfortunately, there’s not much chance to hear good blues in southern Nevada (boy do we miss the Portland music scene!) During this trip we’ve listened to Bob Dylan’s Modern Times, Lucinda Williams Car Wheels On a Gravel Road, Mark Knopfler’s Love Over Gold, Tribute to the Grateful Dead “Deadicated”, Allman Brothers Hittin The Note, Bonnie Raitt Fundamentals. We also like to listen to XM radio Deep Tracks. Our all time favorite album is Terry Allen’s Lubbock (on everything).

MG: What is your favorite food?
MrNevadaesh: Mexican
MrsNevadaesh: pretty much anything I don’t have to cook.

MG: Did you have a previous vehicle that was as fun as your FJ?
NVD: When we met--way back when--Gary had a 1958 TR3 that was really cool. Especially on winding mountain roads. He wanted to be a race car driver, but that didn’t happen.

MG: What is your favorite food?
NVD: Again with the food--were you hungry when you typed this?

MG: How & why do you participate on the Forum?
NVD: Gary’s brother and nephew introduced him to the Forum. He would look up stuff, learn all about the various mods and what they accomplish, decide what would work for what we wanted to do in the future. We had the Backcountry Adventures Southern California book and had several trails that we wanted to do, one of them being the Old Mohave Trail. When we saw that there was a trail run shortly after we got the FJ, we signed up and discovered what is the best thing about the Forum-the great people!

MG: You live in a relatively remote part of the country.
How do you think your lives would be different if your home were in, say, Africa ? What activities would you still take part in and which would you have to forego?
NVD: First, it’s taken for granted that if we moved to Africa, it would be to a country that is not undergoing civil war. So, having moved there we would take the FJ.

We would still go on expeditions, but they would be dictated by local conditions and necessary paperwork. Paula would still sketch and or paint and or make things by hand, Gary would probably learn to be a mechanic in order to keep the FJ running. We would learn at least one more language. Hopefully we wouldn’t have to get a lot of shots before going, and could avoid the local diseases once we got there. It would be easy to just say that everything would be different, but that’s not true. Our relationship would still be strong and we would still be inclined to do most things together. It’s not really so much where you live as how you respond to it and what you learn from it and whether or not you keep your sense of humor and adventure.

MG: How long have you been married (to each other ) and how did you meet? What were your first impressions of each other?
NVD: Our 39th anniversary will be December 21st and 29th. The 21st was where all the friends and family came. We didn’t find out until the 20th that the friend that was doing the service was not licensed in Multnomah County, Oregon. So we had the legal marriage at the Courthouse on the 29th. Some years we celebrate both, some years the one that falls on a weekend, some years we totally forget (really, we both forget) and once or twice we were so mad at each other it wouldn’t have mattered. Life goes on.
We met through mutual friends, but the catalyst was Joyce. She was good friends with Linda who I met at college, and also good friends with Caryn. Caryn’s brother Tom was Gary’s roommate. There was this party, and Gary and I left to buy more wine, and the rest became history. Gary thought I was really cute, and what I remember thinking that he seemed pretty interesting. And I didn’t even know about his TR3 yet! And we both remember that first kiss….

MG: I’ve been on a few outings with you and it seems that you’re a pretty low-key couple. You both spend about the same amount of time behind the wheel and work together to get camp set up.
Has it always been this way?
NVD: Pretty much yes. We do have areas where we don’t agree, but we are each free to be the person we are. We both feel it’s important to work things out, to do things together, and to enjoy each other and what we do.

MG: What words of advice can you give to people who haven’t been on a multi-day excursion?
NVD: It’s a good idea to start with an overnight trip that is close to home. Pick a place that interests you. Plan ahead, think backwards: What will I need when I get up? What will I cook on? What is easy to cook over a campfire or on a propane stove? Visit an outdoor store to see what’s available to make camping more comfortable, but don’t go overboard. Camp several times before buying something expensive (like, say, a car-top tent). Set up your camp in the back yard the first time.
Keep lists on the computer that you can go over when packing. It will help to speed up the process. If you want to cut down on the cooking aspect try Mountain House freeze dried foods. They are pretty good and all you need is hot water.
Don’t forget your tools: recovery, socket set, etc.; a good First Aid kit and emergency supplies like thermal blankets, warm gloves, etc.
If you don’t want your passenger to drive you crazy give her/him a job. Finding the route on the map, counting cows, whatever is age-appropriate.
Above all, have fun, enjoy the trail, and relax!

MG: (And finally, my favorite!)

I, (we) state your name….

NVD:
(Gary and Paula Eshelby)
Have learned these things are true:
Ice cream is always good.
Chocolate is even better.
Don’t run over spiny things in the road in the desert.
Life is an adventure.
If it seems interesting, try it.
Treat others the way you want to be treated.
Spend less.
Laugh often.
Have a dog.
Wherever you go, there you are.
Everything works out in the end.

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Gary and Paula are trail companions of mine and they're wonderful people to do things with. I think they're PERFECT for the member-of-the-month!

Congratulations to you both!:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
9,334 Posts
Congrats!

Hands down, Member of the Month, is the best thread on the forum.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Congrats Gary and Paula. :clap:

You did a great job with the interview. It's nice to see a couple that can both enjoy the FJ while traveling through the country.
I agree, and not only that, I think I may have picked up on some wisdom that may serve me well down the road. Gary and Paula, thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
Congrats :clap: Very cool interview, now Muddygrrl made me hungry :lol:
I sometimes have that effect on people but usually it's just that they LOSE their appetite!

I need to revise the questions because that food one is in there twice! :lol:

M

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Thanks all for the kind words. It is a pleasure to "hang" with all of you.

Bernd, next time to Oregon we'll be driving Bob. We'll have to spend a day in the Coast range or someother place interesting.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
congrats, great write up

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Well look what happens when you let your brother drive your new FJ. How cool this is to select brother Gary and Paula Members of the Month. Even more appropriate as it is Gary's birthday on the 12th.
When I picked up my FJ in February of 2007 we had a mini family reunion in Burns, OR for out most beloved uncle Bud's funeral. My uncle Bud would have really enjoyed the FJ as he was the 'shortcut' king of Eastern Oregon. Sometimes his shortcuts home would get us in early in the morning. But boy did we see some country. Anyway Gary and Paula were up for the funeral and just by happenstance he was look at getting an FJ. I, of course, let him drive mine and the first thing he did was Get it stuck on a huge gravel pile with with two wheels (not one, but two) hanging out in mid air. Needless to say we all fun and Gary and Paula went back to Pahrump and bought ol Bob...... the rest of the story you know.
What a cool thing to happen -- CONGRATULATIONS MR&MRSNEVADAESH!

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
Well look what happens when you let your brother drive your new FJ. How cool this is to select brother Gary and Paula Members of the Month. Even more appropriate as it is Gary's birthday on the 12th.
When I picked up my FJ in February of 2007 we had a mini family reunion in Burns, OR for out most beloved uncle Bud's funeral. My uncle Bud would have really enjoyed the FJ as he was the 'shortcut' king of Eastern Oregon. Sometimes his shortcuts home would get us in early in the morning. But boy did we see some country. Anyway Gary and Paula were up for the funeral and just by happenstance he was look at getting an FJ. I, of course, let him drive mine and the first thing he did was Get it stuck on a huge gravel pile with with two wheels (not one, but two) hanging out in mid air. Needless to say we all fun and Gary and Paula went back to Pahrump and bought ol Bob...... the rest of the story you know.
Awesome story, TOPOman! This is the first I've heard of Gary's brother. My hubby and I are making the move up to Bend and Gary and I have spoken about it a little.
We'll have to get over to the west side of the state to meet you. Maybe Gary and Paula will even show up...by taking a shortcut, of course! :)

M

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Thanks Ron for spilling all the secrets about my first time in your FJ. It was hilarious. A good time. I think a Ford had to pull me off of the pile.

Awesome story, TOPOman! This is the first I've heard of Gary's brother. My hubby and I are making the move up to Bend and Gary and I have spoken about it a little.
We'll have to get over to the west side of the state to meet you. Maybe Gary and Paula will even show up...by taking a shortcut, of course! :)

M
So, you've decided uh? You will really like it in Bend. Cold and snowy in the winter, hot in the summer. And a million miles of back roads to choose from.

(BTW, we both just figured out how to do multi quotes)

·
Premium Member
7,062 Posts
Thanks Ron for spilling all the secrets about my first time in your FJ. It was hilarious. A good time. I think a Ford had to pull me off of the pile.

So, you've decided uh? You will really like it in Bend. Cold and snowy in the winter, hot in the summer. And a million miles of back roads to choose from.

(BTW, we both just figured out how to do multi quotes)
Yes, we've decided. :) PM on the way so as not to hijack your very special thread.

M

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
What, no Sydney?

Congrats Gary and Paula - :cheers:

Can you show me around Death Valley now? :lol:

Seriously...

-

·
Registered
952 Posts
Gary and Paula are trail companions of mine and they're wonderful people to do things with. I think they're PERFECT for the member-of-the-month!

Congratulations to you both!:bigthumb:
I second the motion.
Great couple, have trailed with them (in one of my favourites areas of the country + pre-disposed to like Nevada).

Congrats :clap:

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Congrats

·
NWFJCC Moderator
2,801 Posts
Thanks all for the kind words. It is a pleasure to "hang" with all of you.

Bernd, next time to Oregon we'll be driving Bob. We'll have to spend a day in the Coast range or someother place interesting.

It would be great to go out with the both of you, we'll even let Ron tag along. Hope to see you soon.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts