Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the difference between a long travel kit and a suspension lift kit.

when it says 2" for the long travel does that mean it adds 2 inchest of travel or it lifts the truck an extra 2.

im trying to decide between total chaos, king, and old man emu. they seem like completely different animals in terms of what they do. I just want a suspension system that will handle offroad and the added weight of accessories bumper etc. and something that wont snap during aggressive offroading.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I started with OME. Not bad, but it wasn't great. I since went to the 2" long travel kit from Total Chaos. If I had to do it all over again, I would go with Total Chaos from the beginning.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
What you need all depends on what kind of offroading you'll be doing. What is "aggressive" offroading to you? Are you going slow over some crazy obstacles, or flooring it across the desert?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
while I will not be flooring it across the desert, what kind of suspension would I want if I was going to be doing that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
while I will not be flooring it across the desert, what kind of suspension would I want if I was going to be doing that.
Hello :) Given your location at CT/Boston.. I imagine you would do more back country type off-roading? To answer your question.. in general, to fly across desert at speed, you'll need combination of suspension travel with shocks that's dialed for high-speed piston speed movement. Most off the shelf coil-over would just fail in that category, especially if working with stock suspension mounting point.. not knocking on production class desert racer where they can't modify their stock suspension mounting point, but the shocks they would use to fly across the desert is not the ones you just buy online. Many of their shocks are custom valved. Most the coil-over stuff you buy online from these reputable compaines like King, Icon, Radflo.. are still relatively geared towards ride quality with performance better than "performance" shock absorbers, but still couple notches off from the real racing dampers. These companies able to get you custom valved dampers, but you will definately will need to consult with them about your use.

I think the other members here state the best, what kind of off-roading you planning on doing? IMHO, If you plan to trail through forest, you might want to consider keeping your track width at stock or just slightly wider.. and focus on wheel travel, of course, there is only so much you can do with stock suspension geometry before you have to be looking at long travel kit. FJ is very capable, even from stock, but additional clearance and bit more travel would certainly helps. So best to really think about the terrain you'll be encounter. If the vehicle still going to be 75% driven around town, maybe the off the shelf type coil-over would be best.. because not only they still give you some ride comfort, and yet able to perform and handle most terrain that you'll be hitting! Sorry for being long-winded.. just trying to help :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts