Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thread title does not lie. I got a chance to drive Ropedrag's auto tranny for 40 feet in Moab and I loved it. I am going to be doing a bunch of re-gearing and possibly an inchworm so before I drop the cash into my manual tranny I'm thinking of getting a new FJ auto. I would probably approach it this way. I like the looks of the all white trail teams so I could get one, rip off the cool bumpers and stock skids and suspension. Put them on my current FJ, and reinstall my mods on the TT. Then I could spend stupidly on new gears and xfer case and have my auto. How stupid is this idea? LOL, fire away. I can't decide.

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not stupid at all. Actually sounds like a good plan. :cheers:

Are you then going to keep both of them??
I'll have to sell the original. Gas prices being what they are the FJ can't be my commuter. It's going to be a garage princess during the work week.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Go for it - While doing Fins and Things the one thing I noticed was how much less the Automatics spun climbing. I know that this has nothing to do with traction and everything to do with throttle control. It just seemed that on the steep stuff the standard drivers were worried about stalling and having to deal with restarts etc. While the autos just motored right up. I think if you were really good a throttle control there would be no difference. I for one am not that good. The only advantage I can see is the lower gearing in the standard but you a going to fix that.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I personally would never trade my manual for anything. I love it and I like the added challenge and just the plain old fun of wheeling a manual. That said, If you want to do it, go for it! IMO the FJ is sweet regardless of the trans. Show us pics when you get the new rig!

·
Premium Member
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I personally would never trade my manual for anything. I love it and I like the added challenge and just the plain old fun of wheeling a manual. That said, If you want to do it, go for it! IMO the FJ is sweet regardless of the trans. Show us pics when you get the new rig!
I've never owned an auto truck myself. I have wheeled a couple and there is a reason my Jeep friends drop big clams on a nice GM auto tranny when they do their engine swaps. They allow a lot of fine control without clutch frying, and they seem to add almost infinite gear ratios in real life. I'd actually like to hear SeanK's and Highbeam's opinions on this subject.

I am concerned however about giving up my full time 4wd here in snowy Utah. I mean for god's sake, it's still snowing out here with more coming on Sunday :)

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I think it's a good plan. An auto with an inchworm would be awesome

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I'm happy with my auto... no clutch work in the middle of a hectic obstacle.

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Even though it defies conventional logic, the A/T is MUCH better off road than the M/T. I have been through this with the M/T crowd and those I've wheeled with who know their stuff agree.

I wanted and M/T and settled for an A/T because they were available when I wanted the FJ - but never looked back. The clutching process with ATRAC and the problem with engine stalls at very low speed descents over bad rocks gives the A/T a distinct advantage.:ninja:

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
sounds like an expensive plan! I have auto i love it

·
Registered
634 Posts
Sounds like a plan...the only thing better than an FJ is two FJs...one for the current mods and one for the cast offs...I say Go for it! :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
FJC has a beautiful auto tranny- I love mine!:rocker:

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
About 10 years ago I had to be converted into knowing the truth that autos are better for off-roading... It's a fact.... no question about it

2 other huge advantages of an FJ auto...

1) better gas mileage

2) at 6'6", I'd never be able to clutch an FJ without banging my left knee at every shift point

Oh... and in this day and age of a Blackberry going off every 2:00, the auto is my only choice...

one more thing... the notion that full-time 4WD is needed for snowy climates is false... just drive at moderate speeds with no crazy turning and you can drop the auto into 4WD when it snows no problem.

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
Even though it defies conventional logic, the A/T is MUCH better off road than the M/T. I have been through this with the M/T crowd and those I've wheeled with who know their stuff agree.

I wanted and M/T and settled for an A/T because they were available when I wanted the FJ - but never looked back. The clutching process with ATRAC and the problem with engine stalls at very low speed descents over bad rocks gives the A/T a distinct advantage.:ninja:
x2.

I have the MT and I know it is harder to wheel it on the more extreme areas'.
And like you said A-Trac is useless for us when we feather the clutch and or brakes. But I don't do the extreme that much, but I do it when I get the chance. ;) I do know that Hell's gate was over the top hard with the MT after I fell into the center of it.

I say do it, you soudn like you got the swap all figured out. :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
I think it's a great plan. I wish I had as good an excuse to get a TT!! Plus, if I had an MT, I'd be buying clutches monthly. :lol:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
If you were going to drop in an Inchworm box on your rig, you'd lose full-time 4wd anyway. Besides, it's not that hard to reach down and shift into 4wd. :) I wish for the full time system sometimes because I live where you'll have snow for 2 miles then dry pavement for a few miles, then Ice around the next corner. It would be nice to have the 4wd all the time in those situations. If you live where there is either snow...or no snow, then the loss of full-time won't really matter that much. The TT FJ's are sweet looking and swapping all the stuff around would probably be a decent plan. As long as someone wants to buy your [email protected] 07. :)

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Sorry to be another in agreement but here I am.

I struggled with this also having all my previous off-road vehicles being manuals. When I went to buy mine, I specified everything I currently own but wanted the manual. After going a few rounds with my lovely wife, and looking at the wait for the MT I wanted, I caved, getting the AT.

Man, am I glad I did now. Without trying to sound critical of my fellow FJ owners, seeing others struggle on an obstacle that I made with relative ease, only to discover they were in the manual, accidently turning off the ATRAC when feathering the clutch as you mentioned and/or spinning the tires at the wrong time in fear of stalling.

Yes, it won't be cheap to take on your plan but I'll bet your smile will be even bigger once it is all put together...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts