Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought that I would say hey!

I have been lurking the forum for about a month. Researching and all that jazz

Now that I have actually traded in my 07 GTI for an 07 Black Cherry FJ AT 4x4 I figured I should introduce myself.

First time I have owned an SUV or Truck. Winter driving got to be a little irritating in lowered cars not to mention the family situation is shifting a little bit from me being a bachelor and renting, to being in a commited relationship and looking at buying a house. Needed something more utilitarian that wasn't a truck. The FJ fit the fun bill and the utilitarian bill for what I need.

I have only had it for a day but I am already floored by how much easier it is to get arround in the winter. This thing does way better even traction wise than my GTI did outfitted with blizzak winter tires.

Needless to say I am happy with my big black cherry.

First thing on the list to do to the car is get my AVIC D3 installed. I miss having satelite radio already and its only been one day. Not to mention the ipod interface and navigation.

First question (should probably start a thread up for this). Has anyone had any success with getting good Sirius reception by mounting the antenna on the dash board (where I have always mounted it on my other cars) I hate the look of that receiver on the roof.

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.. Im sure you will have plenty of ideas and mods to look through and invy over..
I never boughtinto the Sat radio deal so I cant give sound advice.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I've had XM antenna on both center front roof, and now between the vents located just behind the hood. Much less conspicuous. And haven't really noticed any drop in reception.

Congrats on your (almost new rig).

Jerry :cheers:

·
Registered
677 Posts
Welcome:wave: Lots of great info here:rocker:

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Congrats & Welcome!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had XM antenna on both center front roof, and now between the vents located just behind the hood. Much less conspicuous. And haven't really noticed any drop in reception.

Congrats on your (almost new rig).

Jerry :cheers:
Do you mean you mounted between the vents on the exterior of the windscreen or on the inside ontop of the dash itself? Cheers

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
congrats and welcome

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
I beleive it is On the dash right at the windshield is what he wanting to do... Most cars have a angled windshield allowing for more clear, direct shot to the satalites.. Not sure how the vertical windshield of the FJ will work.

·
Admin
7,674 Posts
Welcome from another prairie boy!

:cheers:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I beleive it is On the dash right at the windshield is what he wanting to do... Most cars have a angled windshield allowing for more clear, direct shot to the satalites.. Not sure how the vertical windshield of the FJ will work.

Correct this is exactly what I am wondering. I know I will be able to get a good signal for the navigations GPS, but the Sirius receiver is a different ball of wax.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Welcome!!!

Unless you are an enthusiastic amputee, I would say you are a N00b-y from Saskatchewan! :)

Congrats and again, Welcome!!!

:cheers:

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Do you mean you mounted between the vents on the exterior of the windscreen or on the inside ontop of the dash itself? Cheers
It's on the exterior - based on the recommendation of audio installers. They said that if it was inside the horizontal slope of the windshield is so minimal that the roofline would 'probably reduce' signal reception.

On the other hand, I used to have a satellite antenna for my GPS/cell phone mounted inside up against the windshield, and it always worked fine too.

Jerry:cheers:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts