Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back from San Diego and rented a Nuvi 600 series on the rental car. It was a nice unit. I searched a bit, and if I missed it, just fire a link and I will go away.
My question is, are there distinct advantages to the Garmin unit vs. the Tom Tom or Nuvi 700 series?
BTY, I always lumped S. Cal people with Texans (a bad thing), but found the locals in Southern Cal to likely be the nicest people in the U.S., and possibily the world.
Woe is me, and forgive me for stereotyping!
GT

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Its a very personal choice depending on your intended use. I personally have stuck with Garmin for ages mainly due to it's geekyness factor:) Seriously, the main reason a few years back (for me) was the availibility of "tracklog" while TomTom did not do that. A tracklog is what you are driving so you can view what you drove at a later stage and easy to share so you can tell friends where you'd been. TomTom and others now do that I'm sure but Garmin seems to have the edge on the geekyness still.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I just got back from San Diego and rented a Nuvi 600 series on the rental car. It was a nice unit. I searched a bit, and if I missed it, just fire a link and I will go away.
My question is, are there distinct advantages to the Garmin unit vs. the Tom Tom or Nuvi 700 series?
BTY, I always lumped S. Cal people with Texans (a bad thing), but found the locals in Southern Cal to likely be the nicest people in the U.S., and possibily the world.
GT
I've used both the TomTom 920T and Garmin 760 in the FJ. Neither is perfect.
TomTom:
More customizable and better screen display. Much more user friendly. Way better web support. The Quick Fix download is stellar. Auto volume control. Bluetooth is way better.
Downside is no Topo map support and mounting. You have to plug and unplug power and traffic cables. There are aftermarket docks to help with this but they don't work well with above the mirror mounting. Only TMC Traffic is supported and the cable is a total kludge.

Garmin:
Topo map support (limited but they are releasing 24k series maps as we speak) Mounting Dock is way better, no cables to mess with to remove unit. Both TMC and MSN Traffic are supported (I really like the MSN service).
Downside is: Bluetooth sucks, no auto volume, lots of screen tapping to get to different info because you can't set up the display to show what you want.

The 920T supported voice commands but mine didn't work well. This is supposed to be improved on the newer 930 and the Garmin 880 now has this as well.

Both units worked well mounted above the rear view mirror without external antennae. Directions and routing are slightly different between units but about equal in usefulness.

Now what's actually in my FJ? A Garmin Nuvi 5000. It has no Bluetooth (I use a Parrot CK3000 for that) and can't be used without external power. Otherwise all of the above applies. What it does offer is a larger higher res screen and more importantly an auto switching video input which lets me have a rear view camera that displays automatically on the Garmin whenever I shift into reverse or flip a secondary switch.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
my moms tomtom is a nice piece. it is the larger one i think. fairly new. i used it when going to the kitty trip. first time i had ever used one and i just picked it up and started playing with it. i didnt find it very user friendly. as far as entering and altering routes, i was a little lost, although i managed to get it everytime, i couldnt tell you how to do it or what steps i took. and i am an electronics geek too.

·
Registered
478 Posts

·
Banned
321 Posts
GT

get Garmin.

you can always get maps online, download them into your model with no problems

with tom its impossible without paying big $$$,

garmin units are also slimmer then tom toms, and look better imo ;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Noisycow, where did you get that program? And do they have ebonics? That would be hilarious!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts