Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frogeye already posted up a thread showing the skid my friend and I were fabbing up. Tonight we finished setting up Froggo's and I's rigs with both the skids and the reinforced lower control arms so we can test them at the Summit and Moab thereafter. Here are the pictures.

The skids are made out of 1/4" Black Iron Plate wih the seams welded inside and out. The outside is then smothed down for a more milled look. They are welded to the frame instead of bolted on.

The control arms are the stock control arms encased in Schedule 40 304 Stainless Steel Pipe that has been halfed and hand fitted to encase the arm.

Don't be bashfull... I encourage CONSTRUCTIVE critcism.

Might be bringing a few sets of the skids to the Summit. We'll see how things go.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Do these allow enough room for greasable bushings? They look beefy and well built. I think for the right price people would snatch them up in a heartbeat. I'm sorta pissed because I already put the All pros on.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do these allow enough room for greasable bushings? They look beefy and well built. I think for the right price people would snatch them up in a heartbeat. I'm sorta pissed because I already put the All pros on.
I think as long as you fit them with the arm your using in place that they would work. Mine are pushed up pretty tight against the rod-end. As is, they can be lowered to where they set a 1/4" below the rod end if needed. I'll get some measurements and look at the All-PRO control arms and see how they would work. If I sell them, people are going to have to have them welded on like they do with some of the diff covers.

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
Real impressed man. Seen some of the others I wont name and they are wimpy and made off-shore not worth the $89 they charge!!! Yours look awesome!!!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Frogeye already posted up a thread showing the skid my friend and I were fabbing up. Tonight we finished setting up Froggo's and I's rigs with both the skids and the reinforced lower control arms so we can test them at the Summit and Moab thereafter. Here are the pictures.

The skids are made out of 1/4" Black Iron Plate wih the seams welded inside and out. The outside is then smothed down for a more milled look. They are welded to the frame instead of bolted on.

The control arms are the stock control arms encased in Schedule 40 304 Stainless Steel Pipe that has been halfed and hand fitted to encase the arm.

Don't be bashfull... I encourage CONSTRUCTIVE critcism.

Might be bringing a few sets of the skids to the Summit. We'll see how things go.
Ollie,
You do nice work!!
What size pipe did you wrap around your LCA's, and how did you slice it in half? I am looking into doing both the LCA reinforcement and the LCA skids and this might work with my limited budget.:)

I have a welder, so I can handle that part.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Nice! They look clean and beefy.

I tried some All-Pros as an experiment but the fit is not right on my 4Runner, resulting in the occaisional "CLANK" when I go over speedbumps. Terry had offered to take them back but I felt bad about experimenting at his expense. I've been hoping to find a way to modify them for a better fit or just trade them away.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ollie,
You do nice work!!
What size pipe did you wrap around your LCA's, and how did you slice it in half? I am looking into doing both the LCA reinforcement and the LCA skids and this might work with my limited budget.:)

I have a welder, so I can handle that part.
I used 1-1/2" Sch 40 Stainless Steel. Halved it on a Bridgeport mill with a 1/4" arbormill. Notch it to fit around the brakeline bracket with cut-off wheel. Becareful not to heat it too much at the ends so you don't melt the bushings.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts