Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was putting in my doug thorley y-pipe today and ran into a snag. The O2 sensor was pretty hard to take out. Upon removing it, i found the threads all messed up.
Is there a way to fix the threads or do i have to fork out the 130 for a new sensor? I could only get the sensor half way into the new y-pipe before the threads stopped allowing me to turn. I have CEL, vsc, trac lights all on.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Alright, i guess either no one knew a fix for this or nobody wanted to help :(

ITS FIXED. I took my dremel to those threads. Grinded them back into shape. I had to end up removing the whole first layer of thread and then shape up the second row. No more check engine lights and what not.

p.s. the y-pipe is sawweeet.

·
Registered
169 Posts
great job!!!!

you could of just bought a die for it. So you can have an excuse to buy a complete metric tap and die set. Dremel works great to if you have a steady hand. O2 sensors and exhaust bolts are a SOB's. the O2 sensor socket is like $20 bucks cuz i bought one and a $130 senor is worth it. Probably 80% of o2 sensor are the same so its an added bonus. i always use to soak them for hours with pb blaster and and warm up the engine a bit.

·
Premium Member
6,532 Posts
Reactions: Bushav8er

·
Registered
493 Posts
Thread files work great for the small number of threads on an O2 sensor. A tap is a good investment for the threads in the bung. A die is pretty usless for the small number of htreads on an O2 sensor

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thread files work great for the small number of threads on an O2 sensor. A tap is a good investment for the threads in the bung. A die is pretty usless for the small number of htreads on an O2 sensor
What the heck is a thread file? haha.

I am pretty clueless at some things. There were only 4 rows of threads.

I placed the O2 sensor in a vise and held the dremel on the vise to keep it steady. The whole first row was just too mangled to correct and i had to really work on the second row. I was shocked that they were soo expensive.

I figured there was a tool to fix stuff like this but, ehh.

My y-pipe is terrific though. The exhaust is louder. And i was getting 23mpg on the scan guage going 65 when i normally get 19 or so going that speed. I will be taking some more measurements after my next tank of gas to confirm any improvements.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Really lookin forward to seeing how much better the mileage is!:bigthumb:

What the heck is a thread file? haha.

I am pretty clueless at some things. There were only 4 rows of threads.

I placed the O2 sensor in a vise and held the dremel on the vise to keep it steady. The whole first row was just too mangled to correct and i had to really work on the second row. I was shocked that they were soo expensive.

I figured there was a tool to fix stuff like this but, ehh.

My y-pipe is terrific though. The exhaust is louder. And i was getting 23mpg on the scan guage going 65 when i normally get 19 or so going that speed. I will be taking some more measurements after my next tank of gas to confirm any improvements.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts