Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OBDII (OBD2) Diagnostic Scan tool ? What to BUY ? USE ? discussion ?

Looking to get a new OBD2 scan tool, one with a bit more features !...

bandi said:
background: Getting gas on the way to work Friday, pump clicks, I pullout handle (no over filling) and turn cap till it clicks, get in and start engine, the check engine light comes on, then the vehicle skid light, VSC OFF and VSC TRAC lights.

Turn off, restart, no change... OK, drive to work and back, drives fine not limping'...

Today I hook my an old' mac tools et97 scanner... 4/4 codes...
P0031 - bank1 sensor1
P0051 - bank2 sensor1
P0031 - bank1 sensor1
P0051 - bank2 sensor1

Reset, comes right back on...
ANYWAY... I would like a new scanner with a bit more resources...
Thinking of the....
Actron CP9580A Actron®

Details - http://www.actron.com/download.php?hrpdffile=2012/09/10/hr_pdf_16364.pdf

Anyone here have any experience in this or another brand with similar functions... ? OTC, INNOVA, AUTOXRAY, EQUUS ? others ?

I want it to be updatable...

I am looking for the $200-500 range, but may consider a bit more if the value is there for me...

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
I had one of these. It does not power off when the truck is turned off FYI!
FWIW:
"...After 5 minutes of inactivity, the Kiwi 2 Wifi automatically enters a low power sleep mode..."
but that doesn't mean it's off.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I got this for twelve bucks Amazon.com: Yongtek ELM 327 Bluetooth Obd2 Scan Tool - For Check Engine Light and Other Diagnostics - Android Compatible: Automotive
And I use this on my phone: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en
It not only reads codes and clears them but it can show tons of info in real time and is customizable! Does everything the expensive ones do but don't have to wire it up or mount it! I love this set up. My buddies that gave the expensive ones kick themselves in the ass when they look at mine.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I got this for twelve bucks Amazon.com: Yongtek ELM 327 Bluetooth Obd2 Scan Tool - For Check Engine Light and Other Diagnostics - Android Compatible: Automotive
And I use this on my phone: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque&hl=en
It not only reads codes and clears them but it can show tons of info in real time and is customizable! Does everything the expensive ones do but don't have to wire it up or mount it! I love this set up. My buddies that gave the expensive ones kick themselves in the ass when they look at mine.

I just got my ELM327. It's pretty cool. Dirt cheap too.

I think we should make a thread dedicated to it and custom formulas that aren't in the software by default.

I dug around and found a formula for transmission temps, but Torque can't verify the formula. Hmm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What is the difference between a Bluetooth scanner and a normal scanner like the Actron CP9690 scanner?
Update: Understand the basic from this website article Actron cp9690 Review 2019: Trilingual OBD I/OBD II Elite Autoscanner Pro.
The Bluetooth device needs to connect with the Android/iPhone app. The app will show the result, not the Bluetooth device. On the other hand, a normal scanner will diagnosis and show the result. No need app for this work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
if you only for toyota vehicle,i believe Toyota Techstream cable is the best choice,it is not only can read and clear obd2 codes,but also can programming keys and customize other features

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does any one have experience with an intelligent reader like the ones used in the dealerships. My fj is getting a worse stumble and resetting the system by disconnecting the battery isn't having any effect. The misfire seems to occur at the same spot when the gas is fed to the motor. It occurs in all four gears. Rather than put it in the dealership it makes some sense to buy the intelligent scanner and have it for all diagnostics. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a chinese miniVCI that runs with OEM Toyota software. It won't let you access certain areas of the ECM, like immobilizer codes, etc. but works fine otherwise. I'd say it's worth trying.

Then again you could try the Car Scanner app with a bluetooth dongle, that would be much easier to setup, and you'll have a ton of data available almost out of the box.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts