Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure who else here runs the outer banks of NC, but even if you don't please follow this link and enter a "plea". The tree huggers are trying to close all the beaches to vehicles. For anyone that has been to this area, you know this will crush the economy in that area. Please sign in today because this issue goes to court April 4, 2008 in Raleigh NC.

http://www.savehatterasandocracoke.com/

thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
576 Posts
is this true "Toyota has donated $20 million to the Audubon Society. Yes, the same Audubon Society that has filed an court injuction to eliminate beach vehicle access at Cape Hatteras National Seashore"

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For those following: the case was continued as both sides asked for more time to prepare their respective cases.

It is understood that we can not all stand in the courtroom, we can not all drop our day jobs and run to help. But we can all spend the aproximatly 2 mins to fill out a "plea". Please anyone that has not filled out a "plea", please do so. We need all the help we can get.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
This is one that just smacks of SELC and the "special interest groups" blackmailing the National Park Service. Granted, NPS dug their own grave here by not abiding by the law and not developing a long term ORV policy.

The scary similarity here with other ORV Land Use issues is that the AGENCY screwed the pooch on this one, but we are the ones that will pay the price. When I say we, it's not just the ORV folks, but every tax payer. Do you know how much it will cost our government to continuously monitor the unfledged chicks of the Piping Plover? And then to have a dynamic buffer zone that moves with them after they fledge? Well, a biologist costs about $30 and hour, times 24 hours a day, times maybe a month? My calculations put that at over $20,000 per NEST!

Sad that the public won't have any say into the policy on the use of the beach over the next 3 years. I value the preservation of a species that is threatened or endangered, but we need to look at what is reasonable to preserve and what is unreasonable. People in some parts of NC are living below the poverty line while we are spending $20K on bird's nests? Priorities people, please.

OK, sorry. Rant off.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well, we all knew it was coming to this. Some of the best beaches on the southern OBX are closed or not accessable.:mecry:

Still heading down to Ocracoke June 8th. Maybe the birds will leave.:wave:

Next year I am thinking that the sand dunes in Michigan are looking pretty good.:bigthumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts