Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are going to spend this Saturday at Oceano Dunes.

If you happen to be there and see a Black Cherry FJ, come over and say hello :wave:

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Wish I was able to to Erick but going to Sea World on Sat for free beer n' feed the dolphins..

·
Registered
214 Posts
I will be there this Sat. as well with my frat. This will be my first time going to Pismo.

Is there anything I should be aware of since I am pretty much running on a stock setup?

I cant wait to get into the sand...

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be there this Sat. as well with my frat. This will be my first time going to Pismo.

Is there anything I should be aware of since I am pretty much running on a stock setup?

I cant wait to get into the sand...
Air down for extra traction and comfort. Bring a shovel and have a snatch strap in case you get stuck. There is a store before the entrance booth that sells flags on high sticks. Get one for safety and it looks cool. You want people to see you. Be extra careful because there are people on atvs, buggies, and motorcycles everywhere.

There is a north and south entrance. We'll be a in between. The dunes are south of the south entrace. I'll be happy to make a round with you in the dunes.

You will be looking for Oceano Dunes. You can not drive on the beach at Pismo Beach.

Oceano Dunes SVRA

Have fun:rocker:

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
I'll be at the race this weekend. But have fun E. and get some sweet air for me. :D

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I told myself no wheeling until June...since I can't afford it. hmmm...

I may have to change that. what time ya'll be there?

·
Registered
72 Posts
X 2 on what powkerdawg said about the flag...not only a safety issue but I would imagine it is required by law... like Galmis.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sounds good. I'll prob head there sometime midday since I have to be at the people side of the beach for a while. Poker Dawg you got a PM.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I told myself no wheeling until June...since I can't afford it. hmmm...

I may have to change that. what time ya'll be there?
We will be there by 11AM and for the rest of the day probably leave at 7PM.

Dude! You have my number! Do it! Do it! Do it! :cheers:

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
X 2 on what powkerdawg said about the flag...not only a safety issue but I would imagine it is required by law... like Galmis.

For some reason it is not required for street legal vehicles on the dunes. I think they should make it mandatory for anything in the dunes.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
What a fun place. Here are some pictures to bring back memories.

[/IMG]

Have fun Eric. Bring back some pictures!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I especially like the rig in picture #2!;)

I wish I was up there. Gonna be great weather!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I especially like the rig in picture #2!;)

I wish I was up there. Gonna be great weather!
Heh, I thought you would :). Eric, who are you wheeling with?

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
What's up folks? I'm posting from Pismo :)

I rolled in at about 2PM and got on the phone with jerroranda. We met up at a store at the south entrance to pick up some flags. I set up my family on the beach and gave Jerry a ring to make a round in the dunes.

Jerry and I started driving around and I immediately got stuck. I got out and started moving sand away from the tires and aired down. I eventually rocked myself out. My goal was to find the same hill we climbed at SnT with the other forum peeps. As I was driving jerry was no longer in my rear view. He got stuck a few 100 feet back but it was easy to get out. Once again we drove and drove looking for the same hill. It almost felt like the dunes were totally different from SnT.

We drove along this ridge and right before I was going to suggest to Jerry we head out of the dunes. He gets stuck again. We tried some many things but it was evident things were harder this time around. His rear driver's side wheel had zero traction. His rear was sittin on its axle. We busted out with a strap but I was hesitant because it would put me on a poor running start and into a mound. I didn't not want to try to get him out. Well, I got stuck helping him and was practically high centered.

It took awhile but we dug my rig out. I mostly powered my FJ out not even knowing how high my RPMs went. Since I was free we were back to Jerry's rig. While they continued to dig, I decided to look for help since the sun might be gone in less than 3 hours. I used my Gamin to leave a trail for me to follow back to them. Turns out the rangers will not help you get out. They've been sued so much that they've been barred to assist vehicles from getting unstuck. The only person that can help is this SUPER tow truck which charges a minimum $300 to help.

With this info I headed back to Jerry but he told me on the cell that a kind Jeep driver was winching his rig out. By the time I got there he was free and I gave a thankful wave to the Jeep driver. I now want a winch but we can talk about that later.

We drove back to my family and took some photos of the rigs. I really glad this didn't turn in to an all nighter. It would truly spoiled the weekend. I'm lucky to have an understanding family.

The FJ is full of sand but tomorrow will be more eating and shopping.

Have a great weekend and don't get stuck.

Eric, who are you wheeling with?
There was no preplanning with other wheelers.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Glad you guys got out. Did you try using a hi-lift and carpet? That's the cheapest method. In this situation a snatch strap or a yanker rope would've been great too. It allows you to do a running pull. Pull-pal with winch is a sure win, but neither of you have one. The first method would've worked though.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad you guys got out. Did you try using a hi-lift and carpet?
It crossed my mind but it didn't appear safe to do at the time. Blame it on lack of experience.

I really need to sit in the TT/BB class in a couple of weeks. I also home Demello does there class as well.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Glad you guys weren't stuck for too long! Great pictures tho, i REALLY wish there were beaches like this closer to the LA region. I would love to go... except now i'm a little scared i might get stuck :p

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Glad you guys weren't stuck for too long! Great pictures tho, i REALLY wish there were beaches like this closer to the LA region. I would love to go... except now i'm a little scared i might get stuck :p
My confidence was on the high side because I never got stuck during SnT nor did I witness another FJC getting stuck. I've been humbled.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts