Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving at about 35-45 mph in 4WH in a wash yesterday when I suddenly heard a speed-dependent loud "tock"(about 1 click per wheel rotation) from the right front corner. Pulled over and checked but could not see anything. Put it in 2WD - noise gone. Went back to 4WH - noise still gone. Any ideas? I was wondering if it might have been an automatic hub that did not fully engage.

Cannot reproduce so far but will be playing some more this weekend and just wanted to run it by you experts in case there are some tips/ideas.

Thanks!:bandit:

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Might have been a rock in the brake between the pad an rotor. I've had that happen several times. What I usually do is back up and the the rock or what every comes out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was much louder and lower pitched than a rock in the tire woud be (plus I was driving on soft sand). Imagine the sound you might get if something fairly rigid were wrapped around the driveshaft and it smacked the bellypan with every rotation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting thought, Sonny - would that not be more of a grinding noise? Maybe if there was something like a twig or rock stuck in the vent vanes on the edge of a rotor - but I would think that it would be a shot in million to make that happen.

·
Registered
440 Posts
My Brother was having that same thing happen with his f-150 and it turned out a vacuum hose for the 4wd was loose. You might want to get that checked out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts