Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Odd temporary E-Brake malfunction

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ZacharyD 
#1 ·
About a month ago I was camping in the FJ above treeline in about ~25 degree F weather. The wind was crazy strong. I was near a cliff edge so I did what I could to make sure the FJ wouldn't be moving in the night and pulled the E-brake a bit harder than I usually do.

The next morning I went to drive and noticed the E-brake felt off. It had no resistance when I moved it up and down. It also wouldn't "catch", as if the handle wasn't connected to anything.

After pumping the E-brake (moving the handle up and down vigorously) it eventually had a couple clicks, but still wouldn't hold.

When I tried the E-brake again the next day and ever since, it seems completely fine.

Anyone know what could have caused this? I don't understand the E-brake mechanisms well, but I would like to know more so if something similar happens in the future I know what could be wrong or how to fix it.

Thanks!

#2 ·
About a month ago I was camping in the FJ above treeline in about ~25 degree F weather. clip clip
Was the underside wet? Don't know specifically about the FJ's ebrake but with drums you can freeze them if they are wet and the brake is set.

#5 · (Edited)
No, shouldn't have been. Anyway the regular brake pedal worked fine.
The brake pedal is a totally separate system. The parking brake (2 drum brakes on the rear) is in no way connected to your regular disc brake system.

IMHO, your emergency brakes were frozen (you did say it was 25 degrees) :)

Reactions: Lee44
#4 ·
This was several years ago and my E brake either wouldn't latch or release. Can't remember which one (too long ago) but I took the center console out and sprayed silicon spray down inside the E brake down where the handle latch assembly is located. The brake has been working ever since. The assembly looked like it had been greased during manufacturing but I could not figure out how to get to where the assembly was without removing a lot of hardware so I elected to use the silicon. I've half expected it to fail again but it hasn't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.