Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
Repair advice?
Replace the entire gauge cluster, you can do this yourself and quite easily. The problem comes with getting the mileage corrected on the new cluster. Some cars store that in the gauge cluster itself, so it has to be programmed by a special tool (the dealer should be able to do this). Other cars store it in the ECU and you can swap gauge clusters at will. Not sure which the FJ is.

Do a little searching, someone else is sure to have done this before. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,758 Posts
Toyota Dealer Service says $600 parts & labor for replacement. UGGGGH
Did you get a part number? Here's a gauge cluster on EBay for $125. I would get the part number and search around though, that one says it's for a 4x2 FJ so make sure you get the right one (no idea if there's a difference).

I replaced the gauge cluster on my wife's '02 XTerra before she sold it, the part was about $80 on EBay (used / junkyard pull) and the mileage programming was another $100. I had to find the mileage programming guy online, he had a special tool to do it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
362 Posts
REPOST FROM REDDIT FJCRUISER FORUM by Me and My Son:

My Son, who readily admits that he doesn't know "anything" had an "A-Ha" moment, perhaps. He noted that when calculators with the Liquid Crystal display got smashed or the layers are separating that they would read out gibberish. It may be as simple as replacing the LCD screen itself. If you look in the specs or schematics, you may be able to find the exact part. I would be surprised if its not a relatively common display that is used in many different pieces of technology. My understanding is that the LED, if there is one, is simply a BACKLIGHT (similar to those in your computer monitor) for the LCD and would not effect the display text.

Here's some pics of what I mean: http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/38f56da12...creen-with-different-wrong-symbols-ejm0d4.jpg

Exploded view of liquid crystal display http://www.circuitstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/working-of-lcd.gif

Similar problem with LCD on Mercedes: Mercedes E class C class instrument cluster LCD pixel failure repair DIY. - LCD display pixel repair ribbon - instrument cluster OBC In this case, they say the ribbon cable was involved. Maybe your problem too.

Anyway, see if you can track down the part ID of that LCD display or ribbon cable. If they are used in other devices, the thing is probably dirt cheap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts