Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this just started @ 26000 miles. i have a smell ( reminds me of the odor you would notice if you walk into a body shop ) coming from the a/c. most noticible in the recirculate mode. id describe it as a sweet odor.
i took to dealer and they replace the cabin filter and that has not fixed the issue. any others with the same problem or suggested fix???

·
Registered
37 Posts
That and if you live anywhere that isn't an arid desert, you've got to deal with the condensation collection that you can't see in your a/c system: when you're getting ready to park and turn off the car, shut off the a/c but let the fan continue to blow air through the system for two minutes. That will dry up any condensation on the inside which could be causing your odor. Also, make sure that you completely shut down your fan and a/c when you turn off your vehicle. Starting up with everything on can put extra wear on your fuses.

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
I never had the odor you're talking about, but i changed my cabin filter with one from home depot. It is used for your furnace and is a two part filter that you cut to fit into your FJ. It has a charcoal filter for odors and a regular filter for everything else. I paid 10.00 for it and it makes 4 or 5 filters. Also when changing the filter at about 8k miles i noticed alot of leaves and twigs, maybe you have some kind of vegetation stuck in there somewhere giving you that odor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jag..
i am fairly consistant about turning off a/s and running fan, so im sure about that. any chance of radiator fluid getting into that area? it does smell sweet. there are no drips

·
Registered
37 Posts
Jag..
i am fairly consistant about turning off a/s and running fan, so im sure about that. any chance of radiator fluid getting into that area? it does smell sweet. there are no drips
If you're convinced you're smelling coolant when you turn on the a/c, it's possible that you have a leaking heater core--I had that happen years ago in my old car. I remember that they had to flush the radiator and I think they changed out the thermostat but I went through a ton of thermostats on that car anyway. I'd take it in and have it checked out.

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
Since you said the odor was sweet and just started I would lean towards and antifreeze (heater core) leak.

If it smelled like old socks, then that's the mildew on the evaporator core that most are talking about. That smell will go away if the fan is run long enough (with the A/C off) to dry off the evaporator and ducting.

If you have the smell all the time or randomly, then it is most likely antifreeze. They can pressure test your cooling system and even add some dye but it should be checked.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok all
thanx to your time & efforts to respond. After work tonight i was determined to figure out the source of my problem. First i was to look in the area that the blower might be, thinking there would be a clue.. now where is the blower?
I opened the hood to look on the firewall - nope.
Next open the passenger door and look below the glove box, woof what an odor, sweet yuk. i found my source of the problem. There at the bottom of the glove box was a tube of black touch up paint that had exploded ( below my paperwork ) FOUND!!!!!!

from my first post i had said "like in a body shop" out came the box and into the garage i will deal with it at a later time.

I can only guess that the heat made it expand and bust a seam.
Case Closed and thanx to all who took time to respond.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts