Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I can tell you that to get the allen bolt out of the drivers side spot is a pain. The passenger side is no joke either. If I thought I could get mine off I might get rid of it. Other then dropping the transmission getting the bolts on or out of the front brush guard are about the hardest thing on the FJ. You sure you want the OEM one...........

·
Registered
222 Posts
You have to drill two holes on each side of the plastic cover of the bumper. No drilling into the metal. Not a big deal. The kit includes a template where the holes are drilled. Use a drill with a 1" hole saw for two of the holes and a 3/4" hole saw for the other two holes.Allen bolts that attach the guard to the bumper are a hassle. Easiest way is to attach an extension on to an allen driver so you are turning the allen driver above the guard. Otherwise you have to fit your hand between the guard and the grill and there is minimal room to turn the driver.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have mine off at the moment here in Las Vegas. Someone was about to buy it but I haven't heard from them. I have the installation docs including the template all printed out and it's ready to go for a good price. Perfect shape since it wasn't on the rig long. PM me if you are interested, but I don't think I'd be able to ship it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The install isnt too bad if you use extensions for the allen bolts. I added a factory one to my truck. Didnt take too long to install. I can take it on and off now in probably around a half hour.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you buy a used one make sure it includes the lower attachment brackets (2) that bolt on to the steel part of the bumper. You can buy a separate install kit from a dealer that includes the brackets but it costs approx. $75

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you buy a used one make sure it includes the lower attachment brackets (2) that bolt on to the steel part of the bumper. You can buy a separate install kit from a dealer that includes the brackets but it costs approx. $75
The one I used did not come with these lower brackets. The guy said that they were not installed on his truck from the factory. I ended up just making my own but it made the project a little longer and more frustrating.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I installed mine in about 30 minutes, Drilled two holes in the front bumper, other than that it was pretty easy.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Someone had stripped the previous allen bolts on mine so I finally cut the heads off drilled them out re-taped and used a regular bolt, Alot easier to install with a hex bolt than the allen heads.

Also install your driving lights prior to installing the brush guard.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Some had stripped the previous allen bolts on mine so I finally cut the heads off drilled them out re-taped and used a regular bolt, Alot easier to install with a hex bolt than the allen heads.

Also install your driving lights prior to installing the brush guard.
I agreed with above. Trash those allen bolts, and use reg hex bolts.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Looking to buy the OEM brush guard. Does anybody know if there's any drilling involved or is it just a simple bolt on?
I went with a "Real Wheels" brand brush guard from the Teaka Toys web site that looks almost OEM. The price was considerablly less than OEM and the install was a breeze. The brackets that come with the kit fit over the OEM bumper and bolt to pre-existing holes in the frame. The guard itself attaches to the bracket real easy with four allen head bolts.

If you are still looking for an OEM brush guard, an outfit out Ft. Collins, CO called Bullhide (970-224-2288) had one sitting around. I am sure they would give you a good deal. Ask for Ray.
kroley:)

·
Registered
630 Posts
I bought/installed a used OEM Brushguard. MAKE SURE YOU GET THE TWO UPPER RADIATOR SUPPORT BRACKETS THAT GO THROUGH THE GRILLE!!! You cant install without them. (you CAN install without the lower "bumper brackets".....I just used heavy duty washers underneath the bumper)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts