Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much beating can the OEM FJ composite gas tank skid take? This is my biggest fear right now before hitting a few decent trails in the FJ. I plan to purchase a full skid package in the near future but until then, I just wonder if it is even worth doing any trails that would cause contact with the composite gas tank skid. I am sure there are plenty of you who have wheeled the heck out of your trucks with this composite skid. Let me know how it did!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Should be fine for the fine time being, or until you get a gas tank skid. They hold up pretty well in the trails, but wouldn't want to keep the stock skid on forever.:D

·
Registered
952 Posts
Actually all things considered - it slides very well off the rocks.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep that is what I am worried about.. The rocks. It just worries me that it hangs down slightly lower than the frame rails. When I was last under the truck I gave it a few good hits with my hand, wrench, and a kick or two with my foot just to try and get a feel for what it was worth. I do have to say it seems slightly better than the OEM sheet metal gas tank skid that came on my 07 Nismo Frontier.

So does it actually flex and subsequently cause the gas tank to flex also when contact is made? Seem like this would be the case... In watching some of the Trail Team videos on the yota site, I noticed the skid had a few pretty good scrapes on it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone else have anything to say about the OEM gas tank skid? I seems hard to believe that so many people wheel the heck out of these trucks with no steel skid plate on the gas tank...

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
Anyone else have anything to say about the OEM gas tank skid? I seems hard to believe that so many people wheel the heck out of these trucks with no steel skid plate on the gas tank...
I think that this is your answer, grasshopper....so many FJs have the poo wheeled out of them and have no gas tank issues. It does it's job well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts