Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for just the large part (top) of the clamp that slides onto the tube but will buy the whole clamp if available. It is the fixed hole (passeger side) part but I believe one that is adjustable will work as well. TIA. LD

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fixed hole clamp (on right) is what is broken but I believe I could make the adjustable clamp (on left) work as well.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
707 Posts
The fixed hole clamp (on right) is what is broken but I believe I could make the adjustable clamp (on left) work as well.

Any help is appreciated.
Dangit! Mine’s broken the same way ☹

Please let me know if you find a fix or a way to replace the broken part

Dan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Toyota doesn't offer the brackets separately, only with the entire cross-member at $80 plus.

After looking closely at these parts I now believe they are left side - right side specific. Mine still holds the crossbar in place but certainly the structural integrity is compromised. What I think is a work-around (until/if I can find a part) is to use the broken crossmember support on the upper rail front position (where it is unlikely to have any load bearing weight) turn the crossbar upside-down and reverse the sides. Haven't tried it but can't see why it would not work.

Be careful, already been hit up by several scammers offering parts.

·
Registered
460 Posts
2 things:
1. the fixed and adjustable end clamps are not interchangeable. The roof rack narrows toward the rear of the FJ and the clamps are angled to match this taper.
2. I have repaired broken clamps by using aluminum tubing with 1.75" I.D. Cut tubing to match the length of broken part. Then split (cut) that piece into 2 half cylinders. Use 2 flat head screws countersunk to attach the half cylinder to the broken clamp. The screws go on each side of the insert for the clamp piece. They will to long enough to stick into the hollow space on each side of the the insert. Fill the hollow space with JB Weld Steel Epoxy. Don't clog up the clamp insert area. Paint Black and glue a thin strip of rubber on the inside of the half cylinder to protect the roof rack.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,108 Posts
2 things:
1. the fixed and adjustable end clamps are not interchangeable. The roof rack narrows toward the rear of the FJ and the clamps are angled to match this taper.
2. I have repaired broken clamps by using aluminum tubing with 1.75" I.D. Cut tubing to match the length of broken part. Then split (cut) that piece into 2 half cylinders. Use 2 flat head screws countersunk to attach the half cylinder to the broken clamp. The screws go on each side of the insert for the clamp piece. They will to long enough to stick into the hollow space on each side of the the insert. Fill the hollow space with JB Weld Steel Epoxy. Don't clog up the clamp insert area. Paint Black and glue a thin strip of rubber on the inside of the half cylinder to protect the roof rack.
I would love to see pics of what you’ve made (and how) as I’m trying to figure how how to make some myself! Thanks in advance ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts