Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here went from one of the OEM FJ Bilstein setups to the 5100's? I'm about to buy new shocks and am unsure which to get. My main goal is improved ride on road, don't do much off roading at all. I know those who switch from the Tokico's to both really l like the ride, I'm just wondering if there's much difference between the two Bilstein setups. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Sorry, I have no answer for you but my question does relate to the OEM Bilsteins. Gives you a bump.

If an FJ comes with the Trail-Tuned Bilstein Shock Absorbers, would these have to be replaced if a 3" lift was installed (i.e. could they work with a 3" lift)?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Has anyone here went from one of the OEM FJ Bilstein setups to the 5100's? I'm about to buy new shocks and am unsure which to get. My main goal is improved ride on road, don't do much off roading at all. I know those who switch from the Tokico's to both really l like the ride, I'm just wondering if there's much difference between the two Bilstein setups. Thanks!
Performance wise - similar shocks...
Main difference:
Front: Trail tuned Bilsteins are not adjustable, while 5100s are adustable heights.

Rear: Trail tuned Bilsteins will not work with the rear lift, while rear 5100s will - longer travel shock.

Bottom line, if you are staying stock height (Not lifting or leveling), trail tuned Bilsteins will work just fine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've chosen to go with the 5100's on the front for sure, just unsure on the rears. I have a 4runner and with my setup I must keep a shock that is the same length as stock, so the 5100 rears won't work. The Bilstein HD's have the same valve rate as the 5100's, so it's gonna be either those or the TT FJ's. I can get the TT shocks cheaper than the HD's, so I'd really like to use those IF they will match the 5100 fronts. Thanks for your input.

Senor: you could use the stock shocks with the 3" lift, although about the only thing you're gaining is ground clearance. Aftermarket shocks will give you additional benefits. This article, although maybe a bit biased, will explain why something like the 5100's is better than using a spacer to lift and stock shocks.

·
Registered
367 Posts
If an FJ comes with the Trail-Tuned Bilstein Shock Absorbers, would these have to be replaced if a 3" lift was installed (i.e. could they work with a 3" lift)?
I dont know if it will work with any lift, but i am pretty sure that Wilson's wife has a Toyotec lift with the trail tuned bilstein shocks (TT shocks).

Found the quote.

My wife has the 2010 TT and installed an aftermarket bumper. She kept the Bilsteins and installed the following:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/toytec-lifts/115051-sale-coilover-kit.html

Here is a link to her build and you can see the before and after:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...40-baby-j-starting-grow-up-get-some-bite.html

She has been extremely pleased with the ride.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts