Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 FJ and I'm in the market for an OEM front skid plate.

I noticed that the OEM front skid plate apparently changed from 2009 to 2010. Here is a picture of the 2009 OEM front skid plate:

Front Skid Plate at Sparks Toyota-Scion, Myrtle Beach, SC

Here is a picture of the 2010 OEM front skid plate:

Skid Plate at Sparks Toyota-Scion, Myrtle Beach, SC

The problem is that I don't like the 2010 skid plate and really want the 2009 plate. Will the 2009 front skid plate fit on a 2010 FJ? Wasn't sure if there was a conversion kit or something. Also, does anyone know if the skid plate comes in black?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Will the 2009 front skid plate fit on a 2010 FJ?
No

Wasn't sure if there was a conversion kit or something. Also, does anyone know if the skid plate comes in black?
No (AFAIK)

Don't forget to take a look at Ricochet skids. For $300 you can get front, engine and tranny all covered. They have black too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on an update that I got...

I just called Sparks and you CAN install the PRE-2010 OEM skid plate on a 2010 or 2011 FJ. You just need an additional bracket because of the spacing. Here is a link to the skid brackets:

Skid Plate Bracket at Sparks Toyota-Scion, Myrtle Beach, SC

I was happy to hear this because I have a 2010 FJ and haven't heard good things about the 2010 - 2011 OEM skids.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the Sparks skid plate brackets fabricated by Crumb Custom Welding
Crum`s Custom Welding,LLC. I was then able to fit the original OME (bling) plate onto my 2010. Now I am trying to figure out how to fit Spark's plate or the 2009 OEM plate onto my 2011. The Sparks plate with,the brackets that came with it, would not fit my 2010, thus the fabrication. The toyota tech just could'nt get it to fit.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I second, what look you want, with your money. You have the facts, all that matter is your opinion after all its your rig and your money. I like the OEM's myself but i just painted the stock to match the silver bumper trim for now.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
or how about another 15% off coupon code

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
Yup, skip the oem skid plate, I gave mine away and I think the guy gave it to his kids for a sled, but it ran over a bit of sand and was wrecked. Not worth the time to bolt on.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I tossed my OEM plate in the recycle. Rerouted my tranny cooler lines and got the HD set from Brad. Added about 5/8" spacer I the front and it was good to go. Only issue is bent bolts every time I pull them down for access. I think that's something to do with my driving style.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts