Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my FJ a few weeks ago and am in disbelief at how bright the OEM bumper-mounted headlamps are when my brights are on!

I have been anticipating clicking my brights at someone if they don't turn theirs off, but haven't had the chance yet, haha... Evil, I know.

Anyone else think these things are ridiculously bright? I love it since I live in the country, where we call 'em 'deer lights.' :) I have the setting to turn them on/off when I turn my brights on, but I always keep them on. I also wonder if they are street-legal, or strictly there for the purpose of off-roading?

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Ha Ha, the title really made me laugh. Not sure about the lights as far as legality goes. But I notice that even the reflection from the stock high beams hurt my eyes when I'm passing any kind of road sign.

·
Admin
8,447 Posts
Around here any after-market lights need to be covered while on-road to be legal.

Driving back from the lake I use them when there is absolutely no traffic besides the deer, I love 'em.

:D

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Mine seem bright all the time. I get flashed by cars going in the opposite direction all the time and since I have a leveling kit that raised it about an inch or two if I'm behind a car in a drive through they are not happy at all. In my Tacoma I shut the lights off to be kind but with the DRL's I can only go from in their mirrors bright to in their mirrors less bright.

I thought about adjusting the headlights down a bit but thats a little low on my priority list.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
I agree, the bumper mounted driving lights are really good. A lot of folks will pitch that there are better brands, brighter lights, etc., but I've been really happy with my stock ones.

Of course, I usually am driving in a mountain area where distance isn't a big factor, just brightness. Although, in driving across the flats of the San Joaquin valley on a monthly basis, I've never been able to drive faster than my lights, so I'm good with staying with the stock ones.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I tend to like a bit of light....No HIDs ....YET!!!!

Philips Xtreme H4's in the headlights and Vision X 100w in all three Hella's.....

High beam me on the road.....I dare ya!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tend to like a bit of light....No HIDs ....YET!!!!

Philips Xtreme H4's in the headlights and Vision X 100w in all three Hella's.....

High beam me on the road.....I dare ya!!!!
LOL exactly, I want someone to high beam me so bad so I can really show 'em what I got! But it hasn't happened yet. Fingers crossed :)

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I have enough of a problem with people flashing me with my low beams even before I level out the front a bit. I couldn't imagine turning on any other lights when I'm heading against traffic.

·
Registered
671 Posts
If you think they're bright now, put some HIDs in those Hellas and then do a retrofit on the headlights. I feel blind when I drive something else now.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Once you put a set in there, the light output with regular Hellas is almost comical in comparison. It's a very simple mod and I can help with directions if you need it.

The only downside is the warm up time with HIDs. I live out of town and use mine as an extra set of high beams so it gets kind of annoying waiting for them to warm up after you pass an oncoming car. But as off road lights, they are the best bang for your buck IMO.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I worry a bit about heat in the plastic housing. I am usually pretty diligent about turning off auix lights when I stop but there are days I forget. The 100w bulbs do certainly generate a bit of heat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts