Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading a thread by Peeshnuck about him not being able to install his AFE exhaust because his "OEM Hitch" was in the way, he was told by Bandi and RoverGGm that in fact he didnt have a Toyota hitch, he had one made by Reese which was put on by some distributors ( Less money) Well i looked and found i had one of these Reese hitches.

When i bought my FJ 5 weeks ago, included in one of the upgrade packages was this hitch (which i do use) As i looked more at the hitch and the "Real OEM hitch" i got upset,the Reese hitch is MUCH bigger and heavier, it sits a lot lower, and it wasnt what i paid for, i bought a Toyota hitch not a reese hitch, complained to the dealer last week, Couldnt belive my ears he agreed with me, new TOYOTA hitch was put on today, :clap: Much neater, more clearance, a lot lighter, im HAPPY

·
Registered
340 Posts
It's nice to hear some dealers still honor the customer. Wish my local (Quality Imports) was worth a dam. How much does a real Toyota hitch go for?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Dont know how much a REAL one is but the dealer told me the Reese hitch was $300 less than the real one.

Forgot to thank Bandi and RoverGGM, THANK you:cheers:

The Dealer is Street Toyota in Amarillo TX

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Dont know how much a REAL one is but the dealer told me the Reese hitch was $300 less than the real one.

A few things. They didn't start using the Reese style because it was cheaper. Toyota didn't have enough to supply them, so they were forced to outsource to be able to have hitches. $300 less? That would put the OEM hitch at right around a minimum of about 500 bucks (assuming 200 for a Reese brand new). I think you got lied to again. (talking about just the hitch, not the wiring harness)

I also went in to the dealership when i noticed the Reese hitch on my FJ. I told them that it is not what i paid for and that it robs ground clearance. They told me i could BUY a new Toyota hitch, but they would not replace anything on their dime. Glad to hear you have a GOOD dealership. Mine sucks.

I bought the OEM toyota hitch used on ebay for 100.

The OEM one has much better ground clearance.

Col555, one thing for you to check. If the reese hitch was installed, you lost your recovery point on the rear. Check to see if they added one. It should be a loop on the left rear of the frame, similiar to that on the front of the FJ.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
$300! Wow, that's a big $ difference. I need a hitch for mine, thanks for the info.
Check ebay on and off for a couple weeks. And, try a thread in the want to buy section of the forum. I got my OEM one on ebay.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info Layonnn, will check on that, Yea i thought 300 was a bit much but thats what he said. Dont forget they had to change the silver trim also but 300 more is still too much.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
I may be way off base here, but I swear I bought my OEM hitch and harness brand new for hang on...

...$269.59 shipped from TRD source (I just double checked my build-up thread where I track what I spend).

The OEM hitch is
$300 more than the Reese, let me do some math... If I take a Reese from your dealer they will owe me $30.41.

I'll take em all.

Also for the record I installed the hitch myself in about 1/2 hour, never having pulled anything apart on my truck (nerve racking care was taken) and I would rate myself at about a 1 wrench level (that's the lowest possible score if you have opposable thumbs).

You know all the little surveys Toyota sends out. I was told by my salesman that they have a direct effect on how much commission he makes. I wonder what some complaining to Toyota would do?

edit: the silver trim piece comes with the hitch, same money.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Thanks for the info Layonnn, will check on that, Yea i thought 300 was a bit much but thats what he said. Dont forget they had to change the silver trim also but 300 more is still too much.
Oh yeah, i forgot about changing the trim piece. I bet that is where they get you, seriously.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You were right Layonnn, i did lose the recovery hitch, i called the dealer and they are going to put me one on, Is my dealer unusual? i see so many complaints about them here but up to now he had been great:clap:

col

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have the same issue. The dealership that sold my dad his FJ in Ohio didn't put on a real Toyota one, and the one I have is heavy, looks like crap, and is rusting. I had talked to him about it, and I thought he got it fixed.

Well, my father passed away and I got his FJ. I was quite pissed when I realized the dealership never took care of it, so I took his truck to them and they basically blew me off, and now I am across the country and can't really do anything about it.

I'm actually planning on writing a letter to both Toyota and that dealership (and autoblog), because now if I have any warranty issues, I doubt any of the dealers in SoCal will work on it, and the way the connector looks and the hitch is rusting, I am quite concerned, and really, I feel like they took advantage of my dad by not giving him what he paid for.

This is the crap that gives all dealerships a bad name.

Sorry, I'm actually really bitter about this topic.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts

The Dealer is Street Toyota in Amarillo TX
Glad you got it handled.

You're welcome :)

·
Registered
872 Posts
I assume you went back to the dealer you bought the truck from?

I don't know how I'm going to get this handld unless I find a REALLY amazing dealer in SoCal....

After reading a thread by Peeshnuck about him not being able to install his AFE exhaust because his "OEM Hitch" was in the way, he was told by Bandi and RoverGGm that in fact he didnt have a Toyota hitch, he had one made by Reese which was put on by some distributors ( Less money) Well i looked and found i had one of these Reese hitches.

When i bought my FJ 5 weeks ago, included in one of the upgrade packages was this hitch (which i do use) As i looked more at the hitch and the "Real OEM hitch" i got upset,the Reese hitch is MUCH bigger and heavier, it sits a lot lower, and it wasnt what i paid for, i bought a Toyota hitch not a reese hitch, complained to the dealer last week, Couldnt belive my ears he agreed with me, new TOYOTA hitch was put on today, :clap: Much neater, more clearance, a lot lighter, im HAPPY

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, it was the dealer i bought the truck from.

col

·
Registered
216 Posts
was wondering if anyone had pics of the two different hitches? I paid for toyota and I think I got reese. I use mine to tow a small fiberglass camper(16') for fall hunting trips , about 2500 miles round trip. So far have had no problems, but would really like toyota quality if thats what I paid for. :cowfrown:

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
This shows the non-Toyota Reese type hitch

This is the "real" one. I requires a different silver trim piece with a cutout for the hitch due to the higher mounting.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts