Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,776 Posts
Hard to tell in the pic - is the ball joint rubber blue?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I don't remember seeing any other lca's with grease zerk's when i was looking to buy.
Are you referring to the grease zerk on the camber adjustment bolt? That's a Moog bolt... and is not part of the LCA - just hold's the LCA to the frame and is used for wheel alignment.
Tool Bicycle part Auto part Cylinder Household hardware

The Toyota OEM alignment bolts are a very poor design that is almost guaranteed to seize early on in life, and once they seize (rust welded together) the only way to get them out is to cut them with a sawzall which ruins the bushings, and since replacing the bushings costs more than new LCAs, most just replace the LCAs. So a bad $40 part causes you to junk a perfectly good $400 part. Horrible design!

My theory is that the previous owner needed to do a wheel alignment for some reason, found the bolts were seized, replaced the lower control arms and used new Moog alignment bolts.

If your aftermarket LCAs have grease zerks on the top of the ball joint, they are likely Moog. If the ball joint boot is blue, they are likely Mevotech.

Note the distinctive blue boot on Mevotech...
Bicycle part Auto part Composite material Metal Bicycle drivetrain part
Bicycle part Composite material Auto part Metal Steel

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome! thanks for the information. Always nice to find out what i have. The boot is defiantly blue and there is no zerk on top of the ball joint. The previous owner had the uca replaced with SPC and the lift i think is OME shocks with Toytec coils in the rear and OME coil overs in the front. Not sure if the front coils are Toytec or OME. He did put lower shock mount guards on the rear shocks. Looks like the pan hard bar and the bar end links are all stock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts