Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

(Who can name that tire in the rearview! :D)

It is made by the Original Equipment Manufacturer even if it isn't Original equipment in the FJ. ;) It matches the headliner perfectly. My install may be out a mm or two and a couple degrees here or there but I am happy with it. Very happy. I just exactoed the headliner until it fit, and I already replaced the bulbs with PIAA's, to match the other interior lights.

Here is where the idea came from:

So I was driving my old Echo which I sold to Melanie, my girlfriend, to a movie one night. She dropped her lip balm or whatever (sigh... girls), so on went the light :thinkerg:

Literally!

I went to my dealer and ordered one. "That is an unusual part to order..." fished the parts man. :indifferent:

"It's for my FJ." :jawdrop:

The lens is the switch. You just push on the side you wish to use and I can now read my BC backroads map books at night, without the maglite being handy. :D

I am thrilled.

edit: Toyota already makes this part, why they can't put it in the FJ stock is beyond me...

UPDATE:

Lamp, Map

81260-52020-80

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Wow, Very nice Joel....I really like it, humm...I might have to do the same thing. :D

·
Registered
611 Posts
Installation looks great! Does the headliner flex when you press on the lens to turn it on/off?

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Installation looks great! Does the headliner flex when you press on the lens to turn it on/off?
Ever so slighty. I considered machining a little reinforcement or bracket is SAS style, maybe epoxy some standoffs to the roof (was this Wesayso's idea? I think that is where I saw it...) but it really doesn't need it. It is plenty stiff.

If you need the part number or anything, shadow-warrior or anyone else for that matter, just PM me. But your dealer should have it... just a map light from an '05 Echo. :D

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Where are you pulling power from, the other dome light or another source?

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where are you pulling power from, the other dome light or another source?
It will be the other dome light, just 12V and ground wires. The assembly has a little two prong connection sticking out of it, which I had the perfect connector for in a box of old PC junk. The wires and connector I used are from a DC computer fan. The light isn't wired in yet to be honest, my other dome lights failed for some reason and I am going to the dealer tomorrow to see about having them fixed under warranty. The wires are run in the headliner waiting to be spliced in, but I wanted to be sure the dealer knew I have not tampered with the lights... yet. Once they fix the originals I will solder in the new light. I tested it in position with a 12V power pack for jump starts for now. The wiring part is very simple, it is the exacto knife that made me nervous.

I imagine if you wanted to you could get the 12V and ground from anywhere. The dash maybe? The other dome already had the power there though (well except in my case... :flame:) and the circuit has it's own relay and fuse already in the box under the hood.

·
Registered
252 Posts
VERY PERFECT MOD i LOVE IT!

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! The PIAA bulbs really help brighten the interior as well. I would suggest them in the stock lights as well for anyone that hasn't already...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sweet.

It is on my todo list. Just as soon as the other half is not looking.

For some reason she got really nervous right after "It is EASY! - I just need to cut a hole here - and..."

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Dude!! I am so on this! Thanks.

I am headed to the bone yard tomorrow to see if I can some something like this! I bet I could get the mating connector too!

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That look great. Please post the part #.

Also, what did you use for power? Tap into the existing OH light?

Eddie
I'll see if I can find the part number for you tonight.

Yes I am going to solder it in to the existing light. I haven't yet due to problems with my existing lights I hope to have fixed under warranty...

:fight:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Got a model number for the PIAA bilbs ? Are they a special type of PIAA bulb, or are all PIAA bulbs alike, and you just find the one to fit your application ?

PS
Cooooool install!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts