Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a train horn that i am wiring in on the FJ and i am looking for ideas for converting a toyota oem switch to momentary to blow the horn. I plan on using a regular toyota on / off switch (a fog light switch with a picture of a compressor on it) to power the compressor. Is there an easy way to convert a switch or are there any momentary toyota switches out there?

·
Registered
876 Posts
You may be making this unnecessarily difficult (and expensive).

How about just getting a simple small/round push button switch and wire it in somewhere appropriate for its use?

A.W.D.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Go to the technical section and find the "Switch " thread There is a good selection of switches there. I know that the switches I used (post #1) can be purchased in momentary form.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Is there an easy way to convert a switch or are there any momentary toyota switches out there?
Yes, all you have to do is use a small jewelers screw driver and pop the switch open on the sides(4 tabs) .. Then remove the metal S piece at the front of the switch. This metal piece acts similar like a pen clicker. Remove it and the thin metal bar it lays across...poof instant momentary switch. And after doing this, send the metal bits to me ;) , so I can make my momentary Toyota switch non-momentary.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Why not have a switch connected to the horn, that way you could choose to either "arm" or "disarm" the horn via the switch. Then connect it to the existing horn circuit. I think it would be more hassle to reach for a button that is off to the side when needed than it is to trigger the horn from the steering wheel.

As for me, my train horns are connected directly to the existing horn circuit. If I had to do it all over again, I would do what I stated, I'm just too lazy and poor to oder another switch.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I had put in a selector switch & a relay to select which horn blows when I push the horn button on the steering wheel. The power-off default of the relay is the (almost) stock horn so an accidental press of the panic button when I'm fumbling to unlock the doors with my arms full doesn't scare the **** out of me!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.