Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our ‘13 auto 4wd has got 31xxx miles and I’m considering new tires before the snow flies
Use is local light hauling,400 mile round trips to the lake and most importantly as a
Snow hammer to ensure that us two oldies can get out of our 250ft
driveway in the worst upstate NY has to offer
No complaints about the OEM Bstone Duelers except they may not offer enough bite this winter
Recommendations appreciated

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Well you could just get your self a good All Terrain tire. They handle snow easily they run quiet on the Highway. You can get them in original size which is 265/70/17. Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
DURATRACS. There's a thousand recommendations on them in here.
+1 on the Duratracs for a snow rated AT tire. Others are BFG AT KO2s, Falken AT3W.

If you really want to get out, you might look for some Nokian Hakkapalita winter tires with studs (assuming NY allows studded tires). See here:

https://www.nokiantires.com/tires/suv-4x4-tyres/winter-tires/

General Tires also offers some studded winter snow tires
Winter | General Tire

I would shop at Discount Tire (a sponsor here and often have deals) and TireRack

·
Vendor
2,528 Posts
Our ‘13 auto 4wd has got 31xxx miles and I’m considering new tires before the snow flies
Use is local light hauling,400 mile round trips to the lake and most importantly as a
Snow hammer to ensure that us two oldies can get out of our 250ft
driveway in the worst upstate NY has to offer
No complaints about the OEM Bstone Duelers except they may not offer enough bite this winter
Recommendations appreciated
I would love to have a 13 with 31000 miles. That's awesome. :grin My 07 has 93,000, which is not bad for as old as it is.

There are many good suggestions already that are solid tires for your needs one other to add to the mix is the Yokohama Geolandar G015. It is also snowflake approved.

Picking the right tire for you depends on many factors such as where and how you drive and what you are looking for in your next tire. Please let us know if we can help.

·
Registered
185 Posts
+1 on the Duratracs for a snow rated AT tire. Others are BFG AT KO2s, Falken AT3W.

If you really want to get out, you might look for some Nokian Hakkapalita winter tires with studs (assuming NY allows studded tires). See here:

https://www.nokiantires.com/tires/suv-4x4-tyres/winter-tires/

General Tires also offers some studded winter snow tires
Winter | General Tire

I would shop at Discount Tire (a sponsor here and often have deals) and TireRack
Had Nokians on an 02 Camry SE 5 speed manual, they were assume

·
Registered
327 Posts
KO2's or Duratracs as stated. I have KO2's now, they are an excellent all around all-terrain tire, and handle the winter weather here in Colorado very well. The Duratracs are a bit better in the winter however, and will be my next set of tires.

·
Registered
127 Posts
There are many good suggestions already that are solid tires for your needs one other to add to the mix is the Yokohama Geolandar G015. It is also snowflake approved.
I have the Geolandar G015 and love them. Nice ride and quiet on the highway. Purchased from Discount Tire. :wink Good price.

I tried the Nokian Rotiiva first. Terrible noise, had them rebalanced, twice. Awful. Nokian has a good reputation so maybe I had a bad set.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
unfortunately, New York doesn't allow studs (since the 1970s), so studded Nokians are out.

I put a set of Michelin X-Ice studless snows on painted black steel rims for winter and can go absolutely everywhere, at any time, and drive like there's no snow at all (except for taking concern for some idiot spinning out and running into me). The hassle of swapping summer for winter tires, and storing them in between seasons (my mechanic stores them for me), and of re-programming the TPMS each time (mechanic does that) is compensated for by the unbelievable amount of traction when it snows every day, like in western, or in north, central New York State.

N

·
Vendor
2,528 Posts
I have the Geolandar G015 and love them. Nice ride and quiet on the highway. Purchased from Discount Tire. :wink Good price.

I tried the Nokian Rotiiva first. Terrible noise, had them rebalanced, twice. Awful. Nokian has a good reputation so maybe I had a bad set.
Glad to hear you're pleased with your G015 tires, Adrift! I ran this tire on my FJ and enjoyed them so much I installed a set on my RAM.

Thank you for business!

·
Registered
31 Posts
unfortunately, New York doesn't allow studs (since the 1970s), so studded Nokians are out.
Bit of misinformation here...Studded tires are perfectly legal in NY from Oct 16 - Apr 30.

Another vote for the KO2s. I've had them for 55K miles now (albeit a 5 tire rotate, so more like 44K/tire) and they still look great. Just starting to get a touch noisy. They could probably go another 40-50K miles. I'll likely swap them out sooner than that while they're still Craigslist-able. The Duratracs I had before these got noisy in less than 20K so I sent them down the road. I'm also in Upstate NY and there's no perceptible difference in snow traction. I will go KO2 again when it's time for fresh rubber. Stock size, load C, from Discount Tire.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just to clarify, Duratracs or any other replacement tire will be on the FJ year round until they wear out.

Noise for short trips not really an issue but could be a negative on the 400 mile highway lake trips.

OEM Bstones very quiet but I know they wont cut it in the snow this winter.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
thanks for correcting my memory on that!!

(I must have mixed up with where I live now, Michigan, who used to allow them in winter but outlawed them at some point)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts