Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is the picture quality a lot better as well or is it the same?
i had no reference since the camera never worked for me. but the one i did works perfectly fine, just as good as the oem camera on my 2012 pilot touring, just smaller.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alright so this seems to be too easy and I have wired my own stuff before, but for some reason I can't crack the code on this. I bought the same cam and has the red/black for juice and the aca jack with the yellow/ground. However the harness wire is red/black/white/Brown(thumbnail). Have tried swapping the Brown & white, no success

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Alright so I finally figured out the wires to go straight to the wiring harness instead of the camera wires (red/silver = yellow, white/silver = ground, brown/silver = black, black/silver = red). I also ran into the extra red wire on the RCA like philFJ but also ignored them and worked perfect...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help with this replacement camera DIY article. I live in Canada and the Toyota dealer wanted $600 plus labor to change the dead camera. The Esky camera you suggested is perfect with great picture quality. Your instructions were bang on, the pictures were accurate and showed me the details I was looking for - it couldn't have been better, even if I had done it myself!!
A million kind thanks for your post !
John

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you so much to everyone for the extremely useful information. I have a different question on a 2011 TT and hope someone could help. I am installing a Joying H/U and it comes with a 3.3V backup camera I want to keep the existing OEM camera mounted on the spare tire carrier. The harness to that camera will be unplugged and like Jeff Connor above it has red white black and brown wires.

Pictures: first picture is my new camera location that helps me clear over a rear cargo box (see second picture), third picture is the new wiring coming from the front and fourth picture is existing wiring harness coming from the front of the car I want to tap into.

Here are my questions and maybe someone can help me figure it out.

1. Can I connect the red power and black ground wire on picture 3 (the two lower ones) to the black and red wires going to the harness? I figure if I go in reverse the existing harness will get the power but from Jeff above wiring on this harness could be different.
2. Should I be worried about different voltages? The new camera is rated 3.3V while the existing camera if I read correctly above is 6V.
3. What will happen if I tap into this harness, plug it back in and keep both cameras active?

Note I could read the voltage coming to the existing harness but I am working by myself and not sure how to engage reverse and check the signal coming to the rear.

Thank you so much for any help you can give me and a Happy 2020!!

M

21 - 26 of 26 Posts