Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Sandstorm FT 4x4 6spd Man Trans Off-Road Pkg
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the OEM Rock Rails ("not" the ones with the steps). They seem pretty solid, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them getting bashed. How well do they hold up? I don't do a lot of Off-Roading, and mine have never taken a hit. I don't plan to abuse them intentionally. I mainly have them to keep from banging the sheet metal in case I screw up.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
10,029 Posts
X2. WAAAAY better than nothing.

My gripe is when I took a tree root to the door. Had I had sliders that protruded more (like I do now) I would not have gotten the dent. Plus, sliders that stick out help to step on, avoid door dings, and are easier to see when you are wheeling.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
X2. WAAAAY better than nothing.

My gripe is when I took a tree root to the door. Had I had sliders that protruded more (like I do now) I would not have gotten the dent. Plus, sliders that stick out help to step on, avoid door dings, and are easier to see when you are wheeling.
X3

Not a big off-roader by any stretch, but I agree with this completely. I picked some up and am glad I have them, but they sit too close to the body. Most after-market versions stick out a few inches for the exact reasons listed by @iwashmycar

·
Registered
357 Posts
Agreed about needing a kickout. That is why I went with White Knuckle Off Road sliders, they are perfect. OEM sliders are definitely better than no protection. Hitting a rock in that spot, those doors aren't opening. That was my greatest fear. That and the $$$$ it would take to fix a door pinch like that.

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,434 Posts
Yeah rock sliders are #1 on my list, and OEM do work, I've seen the full weight of one side of the FJ on them before, but I've also heard they cannot take TOO hard of an impact. Plus as others have mentioned, since they sit so tightly to the body they don't offer much protection for things protruding from the sides like rocks and trees. Here is a link to a thread where I talk a little more about rock sliders as well as have a video about it too.

·
Premium Member
4,986 Posts
OEM sliders protect you from damage underneath, they do not protect you from damage from the side of the vehicle, or sliding sideways while offroad.

"Kickout sliders" will protect you from that side damage and also possibly function as a step to help people get into the truck.

There are many brands of kickout sliders, they are in some ways both a cosmetic and a functional part. So if you don't like how one set looks, keep looking until you find one that you do.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have them on and they have taken some hits, without problems. I don't do so much extreme stuff, but they did the job when needed.
I am thinking of reworking them for an extension, for them to protrude further out, though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've got some scratches and hits on them and they took them well. But, I do want to replace them with one with a step, after I lifted my vehicle having a step would be nice.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have the OEM Rock Rails ("not" the ones with the steps). They seem pretty solid, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them getting bashed. How well do they hold up? I don't do a lot of Off-Roading, and mine have never taken a hit. I don't plan to abuse them intentionally. I mainly have them to keep from banging the sheet metal in case I screw up.

View attachment 1189581
I have the OEM sliders and do some light off-roading. They work well and can be fitted with N-FAB steps that fit perfectly and help protect the doors and body somewhat. They are solid but easily removable. See picture:

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
Mine survived the Rubicon twice, although most of my wheeling has been in PA and NY.

They have held up fairly well.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky

·
fka BLACK HAWK
3,078 Posts
mine have done their job

1 - 12 of 12 Posts