Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I decided to do a little mod to the OEM Rock Slide Rails. I noticed that the OEM are tucked underneath the chassis, I'm sure there is a purpose for this. My problem was, I could no use it as a "step" to roof access or getting into the truck. Rather than spending $350-$700 on new sliders, I decided to extend them with the spacers to give them for width.

Items:
From Ace Hardware
24-Nylon Specialty Washers 1.50 X .375 X .375 (2 stacked per each bolt)
12-New 1.5 Bolts

Before(Left Side) After (Right Side)

Total $42

Spaced out 1.25-1.50" from chassis, gives me a bit of a step rather then tucked underneath

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have researched this a little and was surprised to never find anyone that had attempted it. How much load bearing weight do you think was lost by extending? I have thought of using square tubing to space it out also. Any more pics from front or rear that would show how much of a step you have gained?

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's pretty clever. I wonder if you could use some boxed steel tube to extend them out further while maintaining some strength. Then maybe cut out the stock braces and replace them with steel tubing. Hmmmmm...

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
It looks good but if you do any offroading and have to use them I think you are going to crush those spacers or have the entire rail come loose.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
AZFJ25

if you offroad the FJ I would be concerned that you could bend or break the bolts and maybe even damage the lower rockers if they failed. the reason I say this is that I have had my sliders with the weight of the truck on them before. I would be concerned that the nylon washers could flex and bend or break the bolts. now if you could fab someting out of steel that might work. maybee someone that fabs stuff could give some insight on this. I have the trail gear sliders and have jacked my truck up with the high lift jack before. i would hate to see you damage the truck if you off road it and being in the area you are you have lots of places to wheel it.

JKFJ08

·
Registered
187 Posts
i do not think your sliders can support the weight of the truck as intended, i would not go offfroad like this, you could cause severe body damage

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I do like the looks, but somebody needs to follow up on this and find a secured mount and then show the rest of us!!!!!:cheers:
Jax:wave:

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm aware of the concern to go off-roading and having some issues with what I have changed. However, I'm 100% confident, that I will not find myself in a situation of loading the weight of the vehicle on the sliders. I did consider doing some type of steel tubing spacers, but don't have the equipment to make them, time to find material and have someone fabricate them These Nylon spacers are rated at 1800lbs of load before failure.

It was more for aesthetic look and function of step I was after. If I do get into some type of *hit where I need to test these out, than I'm all for it. Besides I can always mount them back to OEM look :) .

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
200 Posts
they do sell steps for the stock rock sliders. i have them. 2 on each side. i use them all the time to access the roof especially to get the snow off. forgot where i bought them but they are available

·
Registered
614 Posts
Lately, I've been having this idea of welding an additional tube with struts to the OEM rail.
But after seeing other threads, I decided to just leave it alone...it has done a decent job so far and
will leave it it on until it turns into scrap.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IMO, the material on the stock OEM suck. The weld joints are no good, but I'm sure you could weld some sort of square tubing on it...

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Nice Idea... This will be great for my Wifey's FJ !...

·
Registered
501 Posts
I try hard not to say negative things to people but I think the nylon spacers you have is not a good idea. Keep an eye on bolt torque.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
^^^ Depends on their use too... I am prolly' going to use alum' spacers for my wifes fj, so the oem sliders can be used as a step, but her fj is not a trail rig so I don't see any problems, as you said, keep an eye on the torque....

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
You got the bolts from ace hardware also ?... TY...

So, I decided to do a little mod to the OEM Rock Slide Rails. I noticed that the OEM are tucked underneath the chassis, I'm sure there is a purpose for this. My problem was, I could no use it as a "step" to roof access or getting into the truck. Rather than spending $350-$700 on new sliders, I decided to extend them with the spacers to give them for width.

Items:
From Ace Hardware
24-Nylon Specialty Washers 1.50 X .375 X .375 (2 stacked per each bolt)
12-New 1.5 Bolts

Before(Left Side) After (Right Side)

Total $42

Spaced out 1.25-1.50" from chassis, gives me a bit of a step rather then tucked underneath

·
Registered
108 Posts
Aluminum or steel spacers would be best. Plastic spacers tend to "creep" meaning they can compress under constant stress over time. The bolts would become loose over time. Either spacer won't hold up to as much loading but if you're not balancing the truck on it, no worries.

·
Registered
200 Posts
it would be nice if someone made a nice kit for this.

·
Registered
493 Posts
What you really need to make is a steel spacer plate of the desired thickness with drilled holes, that is the same shape as the contact point of the rock slider where it mount to the vehicle.
You put a load on those plastic washers, and induce some torque on them, you will crush
them and possibly twist your brackets. For visual purposes its ok, but for their actual intended use, forget it.

KyFJGuy

1 - 20 of 39 Posts